The Student Room Group

Optical isomerism help!

I'm really confused about optical isomerism. Can anyone help with it? Is anyone able to explain what it is and possible give an example or brief description that may help me please? :colondollar:
Reply 1
Original post by abbalarr95
I'm really confused about optical isomerism. Can anyone help with it? Is anyone able to explain what it is and possible give an example or brief description that may help me please? :colondollar:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=optical+isomerism
Stereoisomers have the same structural formula but the atoms have different arrangements in space.

Optical isomers are stereoisomers that are non superimposable images of each other. They contain at least one chiral carbon, which is a carbon atom bonded to four different atoms or groups.

Optical isomers rotate plane polarised light in opposite directions, anticlockwise and clockwise/right and left, but you can't tell which rotates which way from their structure

For example, these two isomers have the same structural formula but are non super imposible (hoping the picture sent)

1424622567398.jpg

Hope that helps, I'm revising it at the minute so if anything's not clear just say :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by morgan006
Stereoisomers have the same structural formula but the atoms have different arrangements in space.

Optical isomers are stereoisomers that are non superimposable images of each other. They contain at least one chiral carbon, which is a carbon atom bonded to four different atoms or groups.

Optical isomers rotate plane polarised light in opposite directions, anticlockwise and clockwise/right and left, but you can't tell which rotates which way from their structure

For example, these two isomers have the same structural formula but are non super imposible (hoping the picture sent)

1424622567398.jpg

Hope that helps, I'm revising it at the minute so if anything's not clear just say :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! That helped so much!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest