The Student Room Group

Teaching style

Hey,

Apologies in advanced, I know this has been asked before.

Is there a certain way to approach a teacher (who you don't particularly know) and basically tell them that their teaching style is crap?

I'm not sure how to do it. I've only been in the class 2 weeks (I took up Biology the day before half-term, so missed a lot of work) which totals 2 lessons for this particular teacher and I'm not learning anything in his class (I have 2 teachers for Biology).

Really not sure what to do. I don't want to offend the guy, or be kicked out of the class, but I also don't want to fail the subject because of this 1 class.

Cheers,

Matt
Reply 1
best bet is to talk to your form tutor about it, they're usually quite good at dealing with that sort of thing.
I don't think telling him his teaching style is crap would go down too well :p: but you could try having a word with him after the lesson and just asking if he could try some other teaching methods.
Reply 3
seriously, you can't just walk up to a teacher and say "hello, i think your teaching style is crap, or I don't like your teaching style". If you do this he will probably tell you to just like leave. You need to adapt to his own style, you have to do it for teachers who might differ slightly.

If his teaching style was crap, not a lot of his students would do very well and this would be noted.
Maybe it's not his teaching style. Maybe it's your learning style that does not correspond to his way of teaching.
Reply 5
Einsteinium
If his teaching style was crap, not a lot of his students would do very well and this would be noted.

Please bare in mind I'm not the only one who thinks that his teaching style is crap.

Didn't even think to speak to my tutor or anyone else. Will see how it goes anyway.

Cheers :smile:
Reply 6
Well, I'm having this problem at the moment with both my History teachers. I did speak to one of them (it's also more to the point that neither of them know much about what they're teaching us), and then left it for a few weeks. However, now, I spoke to the head of department and he's going to observe. But, maybe you could suggest an alternative way of doing things or suggest improvements :smile:
NickiM
Well, I'm having this problem at the moment with both my History teachers. I did speak to one of them (it's also more to the point that neither of them know much about what they're teaching us), and then left it for a few weeks. However, now, I spoke to the head of department and he's going to observe. But, maybe you could suggest an alternative way of doing things or suggest improvements :smile:

Yeah, that doesn't work.......:p: We tried that in Year 12 because one of our history teachers wasn't very good, so we complained to the head of department and he observed a lesson. The whole time he was there, she acted completely differently, as though she'd suddenly been transformed into a good teacher, but as soon as he left, she went back to normal. Worth a try though.
Reply 8
I think the best is to talk to your form tudor....
My friend hated her french teacher and vice versa and so she told her form tudor that she was crap(exact words) and he helped her move to another french class + the head of department had a talk with her...
Reply 9
I have that problem kinda.

In my Chemistry class, the room has a horrible layout,a nd the teacher is a NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) so is only about 24. The room has 6 rows of desks with the board at the front. Unfortunatly for me, i am sitting at the very back, next to quite a few roudy boys. I kept politely asking my teacher [she quite likes me] if i could get moved nearer the front, because it is very hard to learn all the way at the back, especially with the fact that she is a pretty bad teacher. Every time i asked, she just said how i had to live with it and would say things like "I will move you when i want to move you, do you have a problem with that?" very angrily even though i had asked her very nicely :confused:

Therefore, she seemed to take a disliking to me, even though i am a great student who always does homework [well nearly always haha], listens in class and get great results [two A*'s in the mods]. So at Parent's Evening a few weeks back i asked my mum to speak up about it, and i just got a load of rubbish about how she is doing her best considering [there is nothing to consider!]

Well, i have still not been moved, i am learning nearly all the material at home and well i hate her now. Grrr. :frown: Hopefully i will get moved afetr the mocks [in 2 weeks] if she keeps to her word :rolleyes:
Xtrm2Matt
I'm not sure how to do it. I've only been in the class 2 weeks (I took up Biology the day before half-term, so missed a lot of work) which totals 2 lessons for this particular teacher and I'm not learning anything in his class (I have 2 teachers for Biology).

I think generally the teaching style of A-level Biology is crap and boring. At my school it was mainly, teacher writes on whiteboard, student copies. Either that, or we'd be sent to the library to learn the stuff out of textbooks in groups :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Not really a good idea. Life isn't that easy. When you go to university, you will realise that there are a lot of lecturers who aren't that good, and you don't ask them to change their method of lecturing.
Have you tried getting together a group of students and going to the head of sixth or your form tutor? I tried, but it ended up being me on my own. Don't give up though even if it is just going to be you.

I spoke to pretty much anyone that I could, including the idiot teacher herself. I said I was finding the lessons hard and that I wasn't picking much up, and asked if she could help.
Reply 13
hannah_dru
Have you tried getting together a group of students and going to the head of sixth or your form tutor? I tried, but it ended up being me on my own. Don't give up though even if it is just going to be you.

I spoke to pretty much anyone that I could, including the idiot teacher herself. I said I was finding the lessons hard and that I wasn't picking much up, and asked if she could help.

What was her reply? I might mention this to my Chem teacher :smile: again
Bexiness!
What was her reply? I might mention this to my Chem teacher :smile: again

I thought she might shout at me, cos she's prone to that. She was a bit patronising, but she's been really helpful in the lessons now and with my coursework she offered extra time out of lessons to give me a hand.

I also went to another teacher who deals with special needs and she had a word with the tutor and also offered to help herself, or find me a mentor.
Reply 15
I guess I may have been overreacting a bit. Today's lesson was different than the norm as I actually understood [most of] what was taught, and apprantely I was the only one.

Guess I just wasn't used to his teaching style and needed time to adapt to it :smile: Hopefully I'll continue understanding what he teaches.
Me and my mate both have a problem with one of our Art teachers this year! Absolutely hate her because she doesn't help us and when she does she basically ruins your work:rolleyes: which aint fair in my opinion!!

And now we're doing exam prep (exam on 19th December) and the bloody teacher has told my mate to go and draw curtains as part of her direct observation, when infact, curtains has nothing to do with her theme!! And yet apparently the teacher is still insisting that she does it!!

So we came up with a solution, the teacher we had for GCSE Art is loads better than all the other muppet Art teachers put together (including the head of Art) so i have been getting my help off him during my frees and now my mate says she's staying on Thursday night and is going to ask him what to do because the other teachers are making her do cr*p stuff what she don't wanna do!!
westlife2005
Me and my mate both have a problem with one of our Art teachers this year! Absolutely hate her because she doesn't help us and when she does she basically ruins your work:rolleyes: which aint fair in my opinion!!

And now we're doing exam prep (exam on 19th December) and the bloody teacher has told my mate to go and draw curtains as part of her direct observation, when infact, curtains has nothing to do with her theme!! And yet apparently the teacher is still insisting that she does it!!

So we came up with a solution, the teacher we had for GCSE Art is loads better than all the other muppet Art teachers put together (including the head of Art) so i have been getting my help off him during my frees and now my mate says she's staying on Thursday night and is going to ask him what to do because the other teachers are making her do cr*p stuff what she don't wanna do!!

You're so lucky. My rubbish Media teacher has been messing around with my coursework, and I can't have the teacher I had for GCSE and AS Level. I miss him.

Latest

Trending

Trending