The Student Room Group

Question about redox

Hi there,
I'm just doing an F325 question for homework and I'm a bit confused about constructing balanced equations. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something stupid but my teachers haven't been great in explaining it.

It's the same question queried here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1671053

I mostly understand tomo511's explanation, but how are you supposed to know Fe2+ is oxidised to Fe3+? Are those the only states in which an Fe ion can exist? You need to know this so you know to double the Iron(II) side of the equation before combining them.

The percentage purity of a sample of manganese(IV) oxide, MnO2 can be determined by its reaction with acidified iron (II) ions.

Stage 1 - A sample of known mass of the impure MnO2 is added to a conical flask

Stage 2 - The sample is reacted with a known excess amount of Fe2+ acidified with dilute sulphuric acid

Stage 3 - The contents of the flask are heated gently

Stage 4 - The cooled contents of the flask are titrated with aqueous potassium manganate (VII) in acidic conditions to find the amount of unreacted Fe2+

i) The reduction half-equation for manganese (IV) oxide in the presence of dilute acid is shown below:

MnO2 (s) + 4H+ (aq) + 2e- -> Mn2+ (aq) + 2H2O(l)

Construct the balanced equation for the redox reaction between Fe2+ (aq), MnO2 (s) and H+ (aq)

[1 mark]

ii) In stage 1 and stage 2 a student uses a 0.504g sample of impure MnO2 and 100cm3 of 0.2moldm-3 Fe2+
In stage 4 the student determines that the amount of unreacted Fe2+ is 0.0123 mol.

1 mol of MnO2 reacts with 2 mol of Fe2+
Calculate the percentage purity of the impure sample of MnO2.
[3 marks]
Original post by physicsandbeer
Hi there,
I'm just doing an F325 question for homework and I'm a bit confused about constructing balanced equations. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something stupid but my teachers haven't been great in explaining it.

It's the same question queried here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1671053

I mostly understand tomo511's explanation, but how are you supposed to know Fe2+ is oxidised to Fe3+? Are those the only states in which an Fe ion can exist? You need to know this so you know to double the Iron(II) side of the equation before combining them.

I feel your pain.

The transition metals have variable oxidation states (up to 2+n for 4s2 3dn) and it's not always clear which ones are stable.

The only real answer is to learn the common oxidation states (brackets - also, but not common).

Ti: 2, (3), 4
V: 2, 3, 4, 5
Cr: 2, 3, 6
Mn: 2, (3), 4, (6), 7
Fe: 2, 3, (6)
Co: 2, 3
Ni: 2, 3
Cu: 1, 2

and a few of the common transformations in redox ...
Original post by charco
I feel your pain.

The transition metals have variable oxidation states (up to 2+n for 4s2 3dn) and it's not always clear which ones are stable.

The only real answer is to learn the common oxidation states (brackets - also, but not common).

Ti: 2, (3), 4
V: 2, 3, 4, 5
Cr: 2, 3, 6
Mn: 2, (3), 4, (6), 7
Fe: 2, 3, (6)
Co: 2, 3
Ni: 2, 3
Cu: 1, 2

and a few of the common transformations in redox ...

Thanks, thought that might be the case :/ I've never been good with that side of chemistry. I'll try and get to grips with transition metals.
Reply 3
Your important two lines are:

MnO2 (s) + 4H+ (aq) + 2e- -> Mn2+ (aq) + 2H2O(l)
1 mol of MnO2 reacts with 2 mol of Fe2+

1 mol of MnO2 take in 2 mol of e-
1 mol of MnO2 react with 2 mol of Fe2+
therefore each mol of Fe2+ has 1 mol of e- removed, i.e. Fe2+ -> Fe3+

Quick Reply

Latest