The Student Room Group

biology as level

Hey,
I'm currently studying ocr as level biology in sixth form and we've completed one unit after revising as much as I could I ended up with a D on the mock paper I was extremely disappointed with this and now I'm doubting if I'll be able to do well in the actual exams. Like after every lesson I go home make my notes. Out of all my subjects I work more for bio and that's what I seemed to get a D in. I actually did 8 mock papers before my mock in sixth form and now I seriously don't know what to do. Does anyone have any tips for biology!!!!!!:confused: hellp
Reply 1
Original post by manokafka
Hey,
I'm currently studying ocr as level biology in sixth form and we've completed one unit after revising as much as I could I ended up with a D on the mock paper I was extremely disappointed with this and now I'm doubting if I'll be able to do well in the actual exams. Like after every lesson I go home make my notes. Out of all my subjects I work more for bio and that's what I seemed to get a D in. I actually did 8 mock papers before my mock in sixth form and now I seriously don't know what to do. Does anyone have any tips for biology!!!!!!:confused: hellp

First of all calm down :smile: don't think negatively! There is still time before the actual exam! Take that mock paper as a good thing, it will allow you to see where you need to improve. Look at the mark scheme and see where you are loosing marks, because the likelihood is, is that you have all of the knowledge etc etc, but you may be missing the key words that the mark scheme need or may be falling behind on exam technique! Just stick at it and don't give up and I'm sure you'll do great! :smile:
Hey,

Don't worry! Mock grades are not going to determine your summer grades. A lot of the time you will perform better in the summer due to the pressure of it being your final exam.

I do OCR Biology (I am doing A2) and at AS I just made sure I did loads of past papers, looked at exam reports (these are very useful to see how people structure their answers) and went through all of the content thoroughly. I would advise that instead of just reading and writing the notes, actually try and understand it as A-levels (and particularly the sciences) are about applying your knowledge, not just remembering it and re-writing it in the exam.

What are you predicted in Biology and what did you get at GCSE?

The only thing, as with any a-level is to work VERY hard and smartly, make sure your revision is actually effective, try revision cards as these are good! How much revision to you do a day for Biology? :smile:

Do you use the main endorsed text book? If so this is very good, but it doesn't really help with understanding the content. I would recommend this revision guide as it really helped me get to grips with concepts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Biology-OCR-Student-Book/dp/1847627897/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424638052&sr=8-3&keywords=as+level+ocr+biology

Best of luck and don't panic, I am sure you will do really well! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Claire.08T
Don't worry! Mock grades are not going to determine your summer grades. A lot of the time you will perform better in the summer due to the pressure of it being your final exam.

I do OCR Biology (I am doing A2) and at AS I just made sure I did loads of past papers, looked at exam reports (these are very useful to see how people structure their answers) and went through all of the content thoroughly. I would advise that instead of just reading and writing the notes, actually try and understand it as A-levels (and particularly the sciences) are about applying your knowledge, not just remembering it and re-writing it in the exam.

What are you predicted in Biology and what did you get at GCSE?

The only thing, as with any a-level is to work VERY hard and smartly, make sure your revision is actually effective, try revision cards as these are good! How much revision to you do a day for Biology? :smile:

Do you use the main endorsed text book? If so this is very good, but it doesn't really help with understanding the content. I would recommend this revision guide as it really helped me get to grips with concepts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Biology-OCR-Student-Book/dp/1847627897/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424638052&sr=8-3&keywords=as+level+ocr+biology

Best of luck and don't panic, I am sure you will do really well! :smile:

Thanks for the advice. Going to get that book now:smile: I normally just make notes after every lesson from the text book and then revise them on the weekends. But sometimes I feel like its so much work that im not really understanding I'm just noting stuff down and our teacher misses stuff out the spec so have to do that myself. I'm predicted at C for the end of year 13 but I really want to push myself and get like a B atleast . for GCSE I did double award and got A*A. But I don't really know how to organise myself like how much is a sufficient amount to do daily.
Thanks for the advice. Going to get that book now:smile: I normally just make notes after every lesson from the text book and then revise them on the weekends. But sometimes I feel like its so much work that im not really understanding I'm just noting stuff down and our teacher misses stuff out the spec so have to do that myself. I'm predicted at C for the end of year 13 but I really want to push myself and get like a B atleast . for GCSE I did double award and got A*A. But I don't really know how to organise myself like how much is a sufficient amount to do daily.

No worries, it is a lot of work but it will all pay off in the end! Just make sure you understand everything before you move on. Last year I was predicted a C and I got A* A in by GCSEs for science. I came out with a B last year in Biology (2 marks of an A) and I was really ill during one of my exams, which meant I underperformed. But I got a top A in the biochemistry paper, so it can be done! I am now predicted an A in Biology overall due to my performance at A2. Just believe in yourself :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest