The Student Room Group

Surviving a break up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tylerd94
I haven't read the article but shall go ahead right now. Basically two days ago me and my ex were talking about who know's London better it went on for ages was just a dumb conversation over whether he knows it since living there for six months at Uni or I know it better from living there for 5 years or having used to visit every weekend. Anyway it was really stupid I said it should stop but it carried on then he said 'I'm done engaging in this x' so then I stopped and just mentioned places he knows better and I know better thinking it would be nice to take each other to those places. Then all of a sudden he blocked me on whatsapp.

Messaged me the next day saying '**** off, I asked you to stop you wouldn't so I blocked you to stop communication simple' I said that is fair enough but no need to be swearing at me he then said 'you're ridiculous I don't have time for you, bye' and hasn't messaged me since I have no idea what is going on we promised to meet in person if we were to say goodbye, he still has a few of my things, I've done a lot for him recently and now he just wants me out of his life forever just because we had one meaningless conversation. That truly makes me feel worthless. I'm the sort of person who could handle a break up if it were fair and explained but so quick and so heartless. We weren't together but we were getting close again and all of a sudden I'm tossed aside like I never meant a thing to him, it doesn't so much hurt or even make me angry, it simply confuses me as to how somebody can do this after being so kind.

To anyone broken up with through text it sucks I'm not going to lie but honestly if that's all the time they have for you is a 3 second text then you made a lucky escape. I'm hoping in my situation he just needs space because he has never ignored me like this before I just don't get why he wouldn't just tell me he needs space rather than go totally quiet. Surround yourself with the good people in your life those that actually make an effort no matter what, don't allow yourself to be walked over I realize that I was: too nice, too generous, too understanding I allowed myself to be treated like a bitch all I've ever wanted is just a little respect

Yeah I've been broken up with via text... Not nice!
Don't feel worthless, he doesn't sound like he cares if he can end it so quickly and harsh.
Has he got into contact since?
Original post by Anonymous
The way your ex broke up with you was pretty cowardly...but at least you got a chocolate bar...? Haha. :smile:

The blog post was good! Sounds like you're finding the positives pretty quickly.

Didn't eat the chocolate bar, but it was was a great item to chuck at him because it was quite big. Ahh yes he is a coward haha.

And thankyou! I've struggled some days but definitely looking at the positives helps!
Am I the only one who finds it disturbing that he referred to you as "his baby"? Since when did people enter into relationships with babies... :holmes:
Original post by Astronomical
Am I the only one who finds it disturbing that he referred to you as "his baby"? Since when did people enter into relationships with babies... :holmes:

It's just a cute pet name?
Original post by charllbowles
Yeah I've been broken up with via text... Not nice!
Don't feel worthless, he doesn't sound like he cares if he can end it so quickly and harsh.
Has he got into contact since?

He didn't get in contact he continued to ignore me until I messaged him on badoo, (he has always had it not a new thing) he said 'i just want you to leave me alone for a while and if you can't do it for just a while then it will have to be forever' I messaged asking how long is a while and will we be fine after he said 'I don't know I just need time to think' then blocked me :/
He didn't get in contact he continued to ignore me until I messaged him on badoo, (he has always had it not a new thing) he said 'i just want you to leave me alone for a while and if you can't do it for just a while then it will have to be forever' I messaged asking how long is a while and will we be fine after he said 'I don't know I just need time to think' then blocked me :/

Boys, eh?!
I suggest you leave him to it, it may be hard but wait until he comes back to you and see what he says. It doesn't seem right him just wanting to leave you alone. If he doesnt get back in touch - don't make a big fuss. I also suggest you focus on your own life for a little while, whilst he's focusing on his. Decide what you really want; remember to put your happiness before his. If he can easily leave you like that... is he really worth it??
Boys, eh?!
I suggest you leave him to it, it may be hard but wait until he comes back to you and see what he says. It doesn't seem right him just wanting to leave you alone. If he doesnt get back in touch - don't make a big fuss. I also suggest you focus on your own life for a little while, whilst he's focusing on his. Decide what you really want; remember to put your happiness before his. If he can easily leave you like that... is he really worth it??

That's the thing 'boys' instead of men. Well he has a few of my things so if we really were to be saying goodbye he would of asked that I collect them. He obviously does just need space I can understand he has stress of uni and other things happened that day then we had a stupid conversation he took all the stress out on me.

To just block me; then swear at me; then ignore me until I messaged him on an app then he say he just wants to be left alone was so stupid though and the other things highly disrespectful and I won't stand for that kind of treatment again if he does it that's me saying bye. If he just asked for space I'd of been cool if he just said he needed to focus on uni work and not had dumb conversations with me fair enough.

I am leaving him alone now but not for him for myself to clear my head and calm down. Do I want someone who says he doesn't have time for me then goes out with friends and has apps to talk with others which means he is talking bull. He needs to learn to say how it is and that is he doesn't have time for nonsense and that's fair enough I need to learn when to keep shut
Aw no, break ups suck :frown:
Are you okay?

I am :smile: I'm just working through the 12 steps in the article I posted and I'll be good! how are you feeling?
Thank you both of you :smile:

Im sorry about you broke up, and whilst i fully appreciate that relationships end for a multitude of reasons (that doesnt make either party a bad person) he could at least have the stones and the respect to do it to your face.

Time is the only healer and activities to keep your mind off it
Original post by butterfly1452
I am :smile: I'm just working through the 12 steps in the article I posted and I'll be good! how are you feeling?

That's good!
Some days I'm fine, and the next my world falls apart. I have other stresses as well in my life which is making it a hell of a lot harder to deal with.. Sad times.
Original post by silverbolt
Im sorry about you broke up, and whilst i fully appreciate that relationships end for a multitude of reasons (that doesnt make either party a bad person) he could at least have the stones and the respect to do it to your face.

Time is the only healer and activities to keep your mind off it

Yeah, he was a coward for not doing it to my face, but there's nothing else I can do! Oh well, stuff like this happens.

It's just harder to deal with because I've got extra stress with uni, family problems and health issues!
Yeah, he was a coward for not doing it to my face, but there's nothing else I can do! Oh well, stuff like this happens.

It's just harder to deal with because I've got extra stress with uni, family problems and health issues!

It can be quite tough to do it face to face though. I had to end my relationship face to face because I needed to hand back some of his possessions and it was incredibly hard - he looked like he had been punched in the gut. Face to face is the respectful way though.

On the plus side, I'm already on Step 4 of the 12 steps, so feeling quite good!
I haven't read the article but shall go ahead right now. Basically two days ago me and my ex were talking about who know's London better it went on for ages was just a dumb conversation over whether he knows it since living there for six months at Uni or I know it better from living there for 5 years or having used to visit every weekend. Anyway it was really stupid I said it should stop but it carried on then he said 'I'm done engaging in this x' so then I stopped and just mentioned places he knows better and I know better thinking it would be nice to take each other to those places. Then all of a sudden he blocked me on whatsapp.

Messaged me the next day saying '**** off, I asked you to stop you wouldn't so I blocked you to stop communication simple' [...]

My god, this person sounds like an absolute child. Has he ever gotten irrationally angry/immature about small things before? I know nobody likes to be proven wrong (as it sounds like you OBVIOUSLY knew more than he did and he didn't like that fact!) but to react that way, swear at you and ignore you over it makes him sound like a sulky preteen. From this, you deserve better :frown:
It can be quite tough to do it face to face though. I had to end my relationship face to face because I needed to hand back some of his possessions and it was incredibly hard - he looked like he had been punched in the gut. Face to face is the respectful way though.

On the plus side, I'm already on Step 4 of the 12 steps, so feeling quite good!

I suppose, but I didn't really appreciate receiving a note going into extreme detail about all my flaws, imperfections and how he doesn't love me anymore. If his aim was to make me feel awful about myself, it worked aha.

And that's good :smile:
Thats so insensitive - your ex sounds like a bit of a dick tbh. I think you're better off without him!
Thats so insensitive - your ex sounds like a bit of a dick tbh. I think you're better off without him!

I know right! I agree :smile:
I've got so much support going through this break up, its been great :smile:

My blog has nearly reached 1,000 views, so if anyone would like to help me out and reach 1,000 please share the blog post https://modernwithahintofvintage.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/how-to-survive-a-break-up/ "How to survive a breakup", maybe (hopefully) it'll help some people?

Thankyou :smile:
Original post by puddingbot
My god, this person sounds like an absolute child. Has he ever gotten irrationally angry/immature about small things before? I know nobody likes to be proven wrong (as it sounds like you OBVIOUSLY knew more than he did and he didn't like that fact!) but to react that way, swear at you and ignore you over it makes him sound like a sulky preteen. From this, you deserve better :frown:

He has always been that way and I always put up with it because I love him. He kept saying I was getting touchy and then he went on to say "I was talking about the area I live in" not once did he mention where he lives he spoke of London as a whole right until ending the argument to twist it and make me seem ridiculous. Now he is on dating sites saying he wants fun because of how stressed I make him. Probably just trying to get my attention and I won't give it wouldn't surprise me if he slept with someone else he has when we broke up before, it doesn't hurt that he sleeps with others I just find it shocking that after just a few days of not talking he goes to someone else without even thinking about me
Perhaps it's just me but i really can't decide whether chocolate and a note was a nicer way to do it or a cowards way to do it.
Original post by Rakas21
Perhaps it's just me but i really can't decide whether chocolate and a note was a nicer way to do it or a cowards way to do it.

Cowards way, definitely.
I would have much preferred a face to face explaintion with a valid reason rather than a note describing all my flaws.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending