The Student Room Group

Can going veggie make you tired moe often?

Just wondering, there may be no correlation but whenever my dad goes to see my veggie (pescetarian but has fish minimally) step mum, he comes back really tired. Also she is quite overweight. I wondered if their low protein/high carb diet had anything to do with this. Dad said she has 'health issues' but did not elaborate what since they were personal. One of my fears of going veggie is not getting enough protein in my diet (I'm aware beans, nuts, lentils etc. and even dairy unless you're vegan can be used). Whenever I have mostly high-carb/low-protein I too end up tired, which makes me more anxious (since less eneergy=less focus/less control/less motivation) my libido also shoots down.

Is it possible there's any link?

Scroll to see replies

You know sex makes you tired?
Original post by Kool_Panda
You know sex makes you tired?

yeah i guess they might go back to hers and have sex
becoming vegetarian makes u deficient in certain vitamins. look up what extra u need. this is especially iron and vit b12, which can lead to certain anaemias and tiredness.
I've been veggie for about a year now and I've noticed no difference at all to energy levels. Obviously will depend on what you eat though :smile:.

In fact I'd say I feel that I have more energy and feel healthier :bigsmile:
If you're not eating a balanced diet as a veggie then yes, tiredness is an all too common symptom of deficiency. If someone is veggie, they need to replace the meat that would be in their diet with valuable equivalents, and a lot of people don't which is why they're always tired. But this can happen to meat eaters who too have a diet which is not balanced or simply because of other intervening factors.
I have been a veggie for 10 years so I don't remember how I felt beforehand but I'd say I used to feel tired quite a lot. When I went vegan I think I felt less tired which is weird. I don't know how this fits into your theory though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been vegetarian since the age of about 12. I think it made a difference to my energy levels when I first went veggie but I soon adapted to it. I think it depends on how balanced your diet is as well.
Original post by channies
I have been a veggie for 10 years so I don't remember how I felt beforehand but I'd say I used to feel tired quite a lot. When I went vegan I think I felt less tired which is weird. I don't know how this fits into your theory though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Professor Oak
I've been veggie for about a year now and I've noticed no difference at all to energy levels. Obviously will depend on what you eat though :smile:.

In fact I'd say I feel that I have more energy and feel healthier :bigsmile:

Original post by Alesha1991
I've been vegetarian since the age of about 12. I think it made a difference to my energy levels when I first went veggie but I soon adapted to it. I think it depends on how balanced your diet is as well.

are you all palaeo? Or still quite carb-heavy
Original post by StudentGod168
becoming vegetarian makes u deficient in certain vitamins. look up what extra u need. this is especially iron and vit b12, which can lead to certain anaemias and tiredness.

yeah my mum is anaemic so I wondered whether I'd risk it. When I was recovering from orthorexia I went through a 'no red meat' phase in the latter end and I was tired all the time, but this could have been my anxiety
Original post by EllainKahlo
If you're not eating a balanced diet as a veggie then yes, tiredness is an all too common symptom of deficiency. If someone is veggie, they need to replace the meat that would be in their diet with valuable equivalents, and a lot of people don't which is why they're always tired. But this can happen to meat eaters who too have a diet which is not balanced or simply because of other intervening factors.

yeah I've considered also that my worries about having veggie meals may actually make me tired :redface:
Reply 11
Most people eat way more protein than their body needs. It's quite easy to be vegetarian and eat healthily.

Speaking for myself, I'm quite active and exercise 6 days of the week. Energy isn't an issue for me.
A vegetarian or vegan with a poor diet can lack certain vitamins and minerals.

An omnivore with a poor diet also can.

Original post by e aí rapaz
A vegetarian or vegan with a poor diet can lack certain vitamins and minerals.

An omnivore with a poor diet also can.

whaaaat where are these Dewey gifs? I have not yet found these gems
Original post by miser
Most people eat way more protein than their body needs. It's quite easy to be vegetarian and eat healthily.

Speaking for myself, I'm quite active and exercise 6 days of the week. Energy isn't an issue for me.

Do you always cut then? You said you're at like 11-12%. Can't imagine how difficult it must be to do a veggie/vegan bulk...
Reply 15
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Do you always cut then? You said you're at like 11-12%. Can't imagine how difficult it must be to do a veggie/vegan bulk...

I try to bulk but what holds me back is lack of self-discipline and time. My weight was never really influenced by vegetarianism. Not sure about BF% because I never measured it before I went veggie, but it's never been noticeably different.
Well I am vegetarian mostly out of choice but partly because I don't really like the taste of meat. I am always EXHAUSTED! I come back from 6th form and am ready to pass out, it may be being a vegetarian but I have never really thought into it.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
are you all palaeo? Or still quite carb-heavy

Well I have 5-6 bowls of cereal a day so quite carb heavy I'd say. I need to deal with my cereal addiction :frown:
I've been a vegetarian for about six or seven years now and have yet to feel a difference, although I may have just forgotten what it was like for me before! As long as you're getting a balanced diet though then you should be fine.
Original post by channies
Well I have 5-6 bowls of cereal a day so quite carb heavy I'd say. I need to deal with my cereal addiction :frown:

you are a witty kitty so I can't tell whether you are actually being cereal or just trying to make this thread toast

Quick Reply

Latest