The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by awkwardgal
If anything, I was so self-motivated that they didn't really need to motivate me. I wanted to get really good grades in order to stop homeschooling and get accepted into a college, so that was what motivated me. I did English Language, Physics, Biology, History and Maths.

My Mum went to university to do teacher training for primary age children, which obviously wasn't much use to me doing my GCSEs. My Dad didn't go to university but was quite confident about being able to teach me maths, until 3 weeks before the exam when he checked the syllabus.....and I consequently got a C.

Ouch **wince**
...I'd also love to answer any questions you might have!

Do home schoolers make much use of (maths) tutors? :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by BuryMathsTutor
Do home schoolers make much use of (maths) tutors? :biggrin:

It really depends, I think. I didn't have an official tutor as such, but I did receive some help in maths and sciences from various friends of my parents who have degrees in those subjects. Many homeschoolers also do correspondence courses in certain subjects.
Reply 43
No, my Mum doesn't work. I have younger siblings who she also homeschools.

Sadly, I didn't get to learn a language, although many homeschoolers do. My parents just didn't consider it that important which is a shame because I agree with you, it is important! But as I said many homeschoolers do learn languages with tutors; my best friend who was homeschooled learnt French and is now hoping to go to university in France.

When I was homeschooled, I would get up around 7am, and start studying at about 8.30. Study until 12, take about an hour for lunch, then study through till 3.30ish. It's a fairly similar timetable to school, actually. I think with homeschooling, time is generally spent more efficiently, so when I was younger because I was literally learning 1-1 with my mum then I would probably only study for about 3-4 hours each day. Now I'm at college I'm out of the house for 10 hours each day, although only 5 of those are spent in lessons. If I was still studying at home, then I could spend maybe 9 hours out of 10 hours studying - although some things would take longer to understand without a teacher. Another thing is that you are flexible as to when you study - if I wanted to meet up with friends in the afternoon, for example, I could just finish off my schoolwork in the evening.

I used to ask my non-homeschooled friends so many weird questions about their daily lives at school because it was so unusual to me, so I don't find your questions annoying! :smile:

Thanks for replying back soooo much! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can homeschooled kids get into a good college? I want to be homeschooled but my parents say that I won’t be able to go to college

Latest

Trending

Trending