The Student Room Group

Can I get into a top Uni with average GCSE's but top A levels?

I got 9C's and 3B's at GCSE which Is very average although my potential was much higher. I'm on course to get 3A/A*'s in Law, Business studies and English Literature at Sixth Form and I'm much more organised and committed. I would like to know if top A levels can make up for my GCSE's to get into a top Uni. Feedback would be appreciated.
make sure u get good grades at AS, it's that simple
Reply 2
Rusells yes
Oxb no

Gcses are nothing
Reply 3
Depends on what course you want to do for Uni, and what you consider a top uni. If you're thinking of Oxf & Cambridge then forget it. Same with some Russel groups. What did you get them Bs in?
Reply 4
Oxb and imperial etc no
But mosr rusells yes
Original post by Async
Depends on what course you want to do for Uni, and what you consider a top uni. If you're thinking of Oxf & Cambridge then forget it. Same with some Russel groups. What did you get them Bs in?
How are those average grades? They look pretty below average, particularly for top universities. You're also taking two non-preferred subjects (Business and Law) so even A*s in those aren't Going to mean much to the creme de la creme of top RS institutions. It depends on what subject you want to apply for, but there's probably a few RS universities that would give you a chance if you were lucky
Similar boat as you.
I got 1A, 4Bs, 3Cs and a D at GCSE
The A was in maths, so woul I have as good of a chance to get into a top uni to study maths or computer science if I got the A level grades required? (I do Maths, Computing and Economics at A level by the way)
Original post by naxiv
Rusells yes
Oxb no

Gcses are nothing

GCSEs are nothing when they're good, not when they're poor or below average!
Reply 8
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
GCSEs are nothing when they're good, not when they're poor or below average!

You only need C in maths and english.
Beyond that for Oxb, Imperial and a few others, A-Levels are what matters.
Original post by naxiv
You only need C in maths and english.
Beyond that for Oxb, Imperial and a few others, A-Levels are what matters.

Yes minimum though. The better your grades the higher chance a person has of acceptance although miracles do happen. In all fairness ive only ever avidly researched Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/KCL the rest of BRITISH universities are a mystery to ME. So yes maybe I am being harsh
How are those average grades? They look pretty below average, particularly for top universities. You're also taking two non-preferred subjects (Business and Law) so even A*s in those aren't Going to mean much to the creme de la creme of top RS institutions. It depends on what subject you want to apply for, but there's probably a few RS universities that would give you a chance if you were lucky

Are your chances low if only 1/4 your subjects is non-preferred? I do law - and plan to continue into A2, dropping literature - and was wondering if it would limit my options among the top universities.
Original post by ancienthistory
Are your chances low if only 1/4 your subjects is non-preferred? I do law - and plan to continue into A2, dropping literature - and was wondering if it would limit my options among the top universities.

One isn't going to be a deal breaker that'll be fine but it seriously depends on what subject you want to study and the university. Say QMUL isn't going to care as much as LSE.
One isn't going to be a deal breaker that'll be fine but it seriously depends on what subject you want to study and the university. Say QMUL isn't going to care as much as LSE.

Ah thank you for reassuring me, I just detest the units my college does for literature and I enjoy law - so if it won't hinder then there's no point in dramatically dropping :colone:
Original post by ancienthistory
Ah thank you for reassuring me, I just detest the units my college does for literature and I enjoy law - so if it won't hinder then there's no point in dramatically dropping :colone:

Just argue the merits of law in your PS and it should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest