The Student Room Group

Confidence v Arrogance - Where do you draw the line?

As stated in the title, at what point do you deem confidence to be creeping over to the arrogant territory.

Scroll to see replies

Floyd Mayweather Jr is confident. Kanye West is arrogant.
Reply 2
Where you have to state for example how good you are at something
"Yeah I'm awesome at Basketball"

Instead of being modest. Theres a difference between knowing your good at something and wanting to be good at something. The latter often manifests in arrogance.
When one is no longer humble.
Thin line. Maybe when someone starts making others feel inferior is when someone is being arrogant.
Reply 5
This is such a rip off of my thread - get your own ****ing thread titles.
Confidence has some semblance of humility, arrogance creeps in when your ego gets the better of you.
Well if you take a look at the definitions of both words

Arrogant - "having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities"

Self Confidence - "
a feeling of trust in one's abilities, qualities, and judgement"

So simply put, you as a person need to decide if you're being arrogant or confidant. Others maybe able to see arrogance but if you want to change it you simply need to look at yourself. Am I exaggerating certain traits, abilities? Even so though, we all might be a bit arrogant at times without realizing it or even affecting others by it.

Its hard to draw the line, however I'd say the best way to do so is to look at yourself and ask do I believe in what I am saying about myself? You'd be hard pressed to find someone who is arrogant and undeniably believes they aren't lying.
Whenever I say so.
Reply 9
I think it is an eyebrow issue after a certain angle arrogance kicks in.
With confidence you can still be humble, no?
confident= i dont care what others think, i like the way i am
cocky= im better than every one , self loving attention seeker kinda person

i hate cockiness with a passion, total turn off...
Original post by THUG*LYF
This is such a rip off of my thread - get your own ****ing thread titles.

^^^^^^^^^
And this is the wrong side of the confidence/arrogance line
Reply 13
Original post by Yasmin-9970
confident= i dont care what others think, i like the way i am
cocky= im better than every one , self loving attention seeker kinda person

i hate cockiness with a passion, total turn off...

Would you say a cocky person generally tends to have the mentality that exhibits a desire to gain attention? I've seen quite a few arrogant/cocky individuals thus far and a few have been quite isolated, willing only to extend their exaggerated views upon their close-knit circle of friends.
Original post by Magistl
Would you say a cocky person generally tends to have the mentality that exhibits a desire to gain attention? I've seen quite a few arrogant/cocky individuals thus far and a few have been quite isolated, willing only to extend their exaggerated views upon their close-knit circle of friends.

generally yes. however i used to be close to a girl that once told me 'im more confident than you can imagine' i was really shocked since she comes across as the opposite, after that i grew to dislike her - it made me realise that she does alot of the things she does is because of it. I think its usually expressed but sometimes in a more subtle way than others.
Reply 15
generally yes. however i used to be close to a girl that once told me 'im more confident than you can imagine' i was really shocked since she comes across as the opposite, after that i grew to dislike her - it made me realise that she does alot of the things she does is because of it. I think its usually expressed but sometimes in a more subtle way than others.

Absolutely. About 60% of a conversation is non-verbal body language, and one can usually make a prediction if said individual happens to know enough regarding that.

Personally, I think arrogance can be useful in some situations but I'd argue the more commonplace situation outweighs this and therefore confidence should be embraced more-so than arrogance.
Confident people don't need to bang on about how great they are - arrogant people do so in abundance.
Original post by Magistl
Absolutely. About 60% of a conversation is non-verbal body language, and one can usually make a prediction if said individual happens to know enough regarding that.

Personally, I think arrogance can be useful in some situations but I'd argue the more commonplace situation outweighs this and therefore confidence should be embraced more-so than arrogance.

Agreed :smile: it can be useful when trying to get over demoralising situations but when it forms part of your character thats when its gone too far.
Reply 18
When you are a dick about it and use it to belittle people
Reply 19
Agreed :smile: it can be useful when trying to get over demoralising situations but when it forms part of your character thats when its gone too far.

Couldn't have worded that better my self. I'd have given a +1 but I've used them all up today :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending