The Student Room Group

Kicked out of Uni

After joining university I quickly realised that I was very unhappy, not only about my course but the actual uni itself, and lost pretty much all of my motivation for art, but due to my nature of ignoring almost any of my problems, I have I found myself missing nearly all of my lectures. I did however, talk to my lecturer and told her I was unhappy and that I was adamant on leaving. Looking at it now I should have just carried on even if I was unhappy til the end of the year. I didn't. I missed every lecture after Christmas. So after about 6 weeks I got a letter saying that I have been withdrawn from my course. I'm really concerned now about my financial situation. I know that I will have to pay my accommodation fees due to me not having any student finance, but I have heard from people that they charge you the full amount for the course at the end of the year. I have been really depressed and stressed about the whole situation, because I am putting this financial obligation on my mom and dad. Any advice or knowledge would be good to try and make me seem less anxious about it. I know it was my fault for all this I really wish I could go back and change things like either a different uni etc. Thanks
Reply 1
You course fees will be paid by Student Finance, so try not to worry about that. If they chase you up on it tell them that it is Student Finance's responsibility. As for accommodation your best bet is to get into contact and agree a repayment schedule for the outstanding debt.

Sorry to hear about your situation OP. Hope it turns out alright for you, depressions sucks. Remember if you are ever feeling down and depressed you can give the Samaritans a call, and your GP can help you with depression. All the best.
I am in very similar situation to you. The above poster is pretty much spot on with his advice.
Reply 3
Student Finance will not give you any money after you stop being a student. Your loans (including 50% of the year's tuition fee cost) and any grant for the year will be repayable immediately. You will probably have uni accommodation costs on top - as you say, they will usually insist that your contract is paid to the end of the academic year.

It's a great shame that unis don't give out financial advice to students thinking about making this decision.
Honestly it sounds like you've got bigger problems than just getting chucked out of University. If you're losing interest in things and feeling this massive sense of social alienation you may be suffering from clinical depression?

I did my second year at University again as I was too ill the first time round. I caught a sever and disgusting fungal infection which had complications from living in miserable student digs. When they understood that I'd had a genuine serious problem they had no problem in letting me start the year again the next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending