The Student Room Group

Which is worthy to be the G5 universities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asexual Demigod
If the students were so gifted and talented, why wouldn't they be at Oxbridge? :rolleyes:

What kind of question is that? There are numerous amount of students, who are Oxbridge material, that get rejected. Oxbridge even admit themselves that they end up rejecting gifted and talented students. Remember the Laura Spence affair and that guy that got 7A*s for his GCE A levels last year but didn't get accepted into Oxford. You wouldn't say they were not gifted and talented.
If the students were so gifted and talented, why wouldn't they be at Oxbridge? :rolleyes:

Seriously Oxbridge grads are not god's. A-level's aren't really indicative of how gifted and talented someone is anyway.
The majority of truly capable students are at Oxbridge. The rest of the UK's universities are laughable to be quite honest. You'd be underselling yourself by attending them.

I don't know if your trolling or not. There are very capable students that you can find in universities like Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham etc the likes of which can easily compete with Oxbridge graduates.
Original post by Raymat
What are finalists?

The first 5 are not a surprise but I am surprised to see Imperial being ranked so low and King's is even ranked above Imperial!! King's is definitely an underrated university.

This was the year before's:

It changes constantly.....
Original post by ridwan12
Well the domestic league tables are a bit too student satisfactory orientated.

Yes, bath is an excellent university no doubt. However, it's ranking on the world league table says otherwise as even uni's like east anglia and Leicester were 100 places above them in THE league table....

301-350University of BathUnited KingdomData withheld by THE

Last year Birmingham was more targeted, it changes from year to year. I don't think it is indicative of how good a Uni is as otherwise Warwick would be the best in the country....

No no, neither do I. But the ranking I gave you wasn't a matter of which university is the most targeted but rather a ranking of universities according to the percentage of applicants getting a job offer.

Original post by Raymat
What are finalists?

The first 5 are not a surprise but I am surprised to see Imperial being ranked so low and King's is even ranked above Imperial!! King's is definitely an underrated university.

Sorry, have no idea! Just remember I saw this on High Fliers :smile:
Nope, and some Oxbridge students have A Level grades that are inferior to their counterparts at lesser institutions. Remember that the admissions system at Oxbridge is rigorous. The individual is examined on more than just their grades. They are examined on their way of thinking, essays, entrance tests, personal statement and, most of all, their capability to flourish in a pressurised situation like a tutorial/supervision.

P.S. "gods" has no apostrophe in this context. :smile:

It's a habit :frown:

Still. It's wrong to assume non-oxbridge students are not gifted and talented.
They're in the minority, as I already said.

Also to mention there are students that end up choosing Imperial over Oxford and they are gifted and talented students.
Original post by C_Richards99
No no, neither do I. But the ranking I gave you wasn't a matter of which university is the most targeted but rather a ranking of universities according to the percentage of applicants getting a job offer.

ahhh I see
Original post by Raymat
Also to mention there are students that end up choosing Imperial over Oxford and they are gifted and talented students.

Yes. It was difficult for me to choose between Oxford and Imperial. It probably would have gone the other way if I didn't enjoy CS theory so much.

They can't be that gifted if they choose Imperial over Oxford. Why would you pass up that opportunity?

Times are changing.
Reply 69
Original post by Raymat
What are finalists?

Original post by C_Richards99
Sorry, have no idea! Just remember I saw this on High Fliers :smile:

Final year students.

Source 2015 report: http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/2015/graduate_market/GMReport15.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
You mean people are becoming even dumber? Agreed.

No, that's not what I mean. The courses at Oxford and Imperial are very different for my course (compsci) and anybody who is not looking for a theoretical focus would probably prefer the course at Imperial. Job prospects will not be hurt at all.
Original post by ridwan12
This was the year before's:

It changes constantly.....

Oh sorry I didn't realise that.
Reply 72
Original post by TheGuyReturns
It has a disproportionately bad rep on TSR, better delete your comment before you start getting millions of replies from smug and angry posters.

Hi can I ask why this is?
They can't be that gifted if they choose Imperial over Oxford. Why would you pass up that opportunity?

Well if they got offer from Oxford, according to your logic, they must be gifted and talented. They just decided to put down the Oxford offer and choose Imperial. There are many students in TSR who insisted or are insisting on choosing Imperial over Oxford.
Oh yes, because focusing on the theoretical is totally idiotic, right? Who cares about job prospects? I only care about academic standard.

Of course it's not idiotic, but it's not what everybody wants from their degree, hence why it's not so ridiculous to hear of a student rejecting Oxford for Imperial.
Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, UCL (order you can argue about).

then you can argue about the rest.

Of course the rest has unis who are very good at certain things, which people either forget or transfer to the whole uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
They're just underselling themselves as I said. Getting an inferior education despite being capable of a better one is idiotic.

Inferior education at Imperial?! Do you know how intense the study is at Imperial? Engineering students are made to attend lessons every weekday of which are, apart from Wednesdays, 09:00am-05:00pm. There are even stories of students failing year 1. An Imperial degree is no joke and the study intensity at Oxford wouldn't be any higher and it's even probably lower.
(edited 9 years ago)
A high workload =/= having access to the best resources and lecturers.

In that case then the Imperial lot must be smarter than the Oxford lot to attain the equivalent degree as they don't have access to the best resources and lecturers as the Oxford lot do. The debate was about gifted and talented students after all.

Quite nice they mention cost of living increases when discussing the mean starting salary. Because it looks like in 10 years salaries went up by 7k or almost 1/3, which could be highly misleading.

Right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending