The Student Room Group

Cardiff vs BPP

Hello everyone!

I am an overseas lawyer who is about to take GDL this September. I have received offers from both BBP (Bristol brach) and Cardiff University. The choice is hard, but I have some reservations about BPP as it is a private university. On the other hand, tution fees are sufficiently lower there than in Cardiff. I would be more than grateful if you could help me to make a choice.

Cheers!
From what I know of the GDL, it doesn't really make a difference. What is important is that you pass it, and hopefully pass it well. I would go on which city you prefer and cost to be honest, though do look at any difference in examination methods as these can make a real difference. Open book exams, use of multiple choice tests or coursework may suit some people, others may prefer the traditional 3 hour exam for each module approach so do look into any differences.

Also beware any marketing crap either give you. Wherever the GDL is concerned there is a real attitude of money grabbing and over-enthusiastic marketing. Just keep that in mind.
Reply 2
Thanks. Well, I know that career perspectives are not that great after GDL. But I thought that maybe a more reputable university will make any difference.
Reply 3
Original post by Alcina
Thanks. Well, I know that career perspectives are not that great after GDL. But I thought that maybe a more reputable university will make any difference.

As an overseas lawyer do you even have to take the GDL? Could you not simply take a qualifying exam (QTTL(?)) and then upon passing etc, practice, supposing that there is a suitable position at a suitable chambers...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending