The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

MSc Investigative and Forensic Psychology

Hello,

I couldn't find a thread already regarding the MSc Investigative and Forensic Psychology course, so I thought I'd start one :smile:

I am starting the course this September and just wondered if anyone had any books that are relevant to the course. I've taken a year out and want to get myself back into the rhythm of studying.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Lydia :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

I'm starting this course in September as well :smile: At what uni did you do your undergrad degree? There is a list here:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/info/portal/pls/portal30/tulwwwmerge.mergepage?p_template=m_ps&p_tulipproc=moddets&p_params=%3Fp_module_id%3D60988

Doug
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for the list of reading materials. I did my undergrad at Uni of Birmingham - how about you?
I'm currently in my final year at Aberdeen. What other unis did you apply to for the MSc?
Reply 4
I've also received an offer for the MSc but haven't firmed yet... My main issue is that I'm concerned with patient/offender advocacy, and Liverpool seems centered on the policing side of things. I'm tempted to attend anyway, but having a lot of trouble deciding between my other offers.
Original post by dftbkatie
I've also received an offer for the MSc but haven't firmed yet... My main issue is that I'm concerned with patient/offender advocacy, and Liverpool seems centered on the policing side of things. I'm tempted to attend anyway, but having a lot of trouble deciding between my other offers.

Nice, where else did you apply?
Reply 6
Almost too many to list.. I was stuck in the US mindset of 'apply to as many schools as possible so you have a better chance of getting in somewhere'. :tongue:

I hold offers from Birmingham, York, Liverpool, Southampton, East London and Columbia stateside. I also applied to Edinburgh (top choice), Sussex, Manchester, and Queen Mary. Haven't heard back from those four yet.
Almost too many to list.. I was stuck in the US mindset of 'apply to as many schools as possible so you have a better chance of getting in somewhere'. :tongue:

I hold offers from Birmingham, York, Liverpool, Southampton, East London and Columbia stateside. I also applied to Edinburgh (top choice), Sussex, Manchester, and Queen Mary. Haven't heard back from those four yet.

Oh wow yeah that's a lot. I applied to 6. Do Edinburgh do Forensic Psychology or is it for Criminology?
Reply 8
I actually applied to Edinburgh's counseling studies MSc.

How bout you? What other schools did you apply to?
I actually applied to Edinburgh's counseling studies MSc.

How bout you? What other schools did you apply to?

I applied to Forensic for all at Liverpool, Glasgow-Cal, Kent, Portsmouth, York, and Leicester.
Very nice!

Do you have any advice as far as accepting offers goes? I want to wait until I've received offers from all my schools, but I feel like I'm running out of time.
Very nice!

Do you have any advice as far as accepting offers goes? I want to wait until I've received offers from all my schools, but I feel like I'm running out of time.

Well I guess it depends if you have to respond to offers soon or not. I was lucky that I got an offer to the one I wanted before the others even came through. The other consideration is living, accommodation can be a problem the longer you leave accepting a place. Do you have close deadlines for accepting?
Reply 12
Sorry for the delayed reply. I looked into UCL and York but Liverpool was where I wanted to go, so applied there and waited to hear back before I applied anywhere else... Luckily I didn't need to apply anywhere else :smile:
Original post by lydellen93
Sorry for the delayed reply. I looked into UCL and York but Liverpool was where I wanted to go, so applied there and waited to hear back before I applied anywhere else... Luckily I didn't need to apply anywhere else :smile:

Nice, I applied to quite a few places but I got accepted to Liverpool first which was a major relief. Have you had much correspondence from Liverpool about the course?
Reply 14
I am most likely accepting my offer for this programme at the university of Liverpool as well, but as a Norwegian (I count as an international and not a EU citizen) it sure is crazy expensive.
Hello, I am a third year Psychology student (at the Uni of Liverpool) and I am applying for the MSc in Investigative and Forensic Psychology at Uni of Liverpool.
I wanted to ask, since some of you applied there, how were the entry requirements and the process? I've also heard that they prioritise students who had 65% overall for each module in 2nd year- did you find that to be true? Any other tips you have would be valuable. :smile:
Reply 16
Hey I have applied for this too and looking to start in sept. How is the interview? I have a Skype one next Friday and I'm so scared. Also what experience and grades did you all have? X
Hi, I had a skype interview back in December and was notified of the decision a week later. The interview is very straight forward with the following questions;
1) why this course
2) why liverpool
3) what forensic/clinical experience do you have
4) if you were collecting data in a prison and the subject died what would you do
5) Describe a project you conducted, the methodology and statistical analysis used
I applied with a 2,1 in Psychology from the University of St Andrews. I had no formal work experience but referred to a series of structured discussions I had with the head of security at a private firm.
Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by laurensl94
Hi, I had a skype interview back in December and was notified of the decision a week later. The interview is very straight forward with the following questions;
1) why this course
2) why liverpool
3) what forensic/clinical experience do you have
4) if you were collecting data in a prison and the subject died what would you do
5) Describe a project you conducted, the methodology and statistical analysis used
I applied with a 2,1 in Psychology from the University of St Andrews. I had no formal work experience but referred to a series of structured discussions I had with the head of security at a private firm.
Good luck!

Did you get on the course? X
Yes i did. How did your interview go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending