The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

ophthalmic dispensing- city university

Hey guys! I'm new to this so don't really know how it works! I just wanted to know whether anyone has applied to City University for optometry or ophthalmic dispensing and if you've received any offers as of yet :biggrin:
Original post by faryaalnaqvi
Hey guys! I'm new to this so don't really know how it works! I just wanted to know whether anyone has applied to City University for optometry or ophthalmic dispensing and if you've received any offers as of yet :biggrin:

Hey, just popped this in the City uni forum for you :h:
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Original post by faryaalnaqvi
yep i've applied, got a conditional offer CDD, what about you?
Original post by Moonbaby007

I did too! Are you both looking to joining optometry after 2 years of dispensing?
Original post by princessBG
I did too! Are you both looking to joining optometry after 2 years of dispensing?

Yeah that's the plan
But at the same time I'm not sure if I want to do it
Seems like we have to achieve quite a high pass (70-75%- can't remember which) to qualify for a place on the optom course.
75% isn't too bad considering it's a foundation degree! the outcome is totally worth it!
Yeah that's the plan
But at the same time I'm not sure if I want to do it
Seems like we have to achieve quite a high pass (70-75%- can't remember which) to qualify for a place on the optom course.
That's 75% to get onto the second year of optometry, I emailed city too...

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Foundation course in Ophthalmic Dispensing (B511) is a two year programme http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/ophthalmic-dispensing *if you gain a 65% aggregate mark you will gain entry into 1st BSc Optometry(B510) , Access into the second year of the BSc Optometry (B510) course may be possible subject to places being available and the achievement of 75% aggregate over the two years of study to include grade B in GCSE Mathematics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys it's totally possible! Look at it like a second chance and work hard to get onto a top course! Lol
yeah its deffo possible! lol.
It just depends on how badly you want to do optometry, or how long you want to be in education for.
In my circumstances, i have already retaken a year of a-levels and i'm not sure if i want to spend 4 years slaving away at uni trying to become an optometrist.
But each to their own i guess, If you are determined then go for it :smile: I still haven't made up my mind about it yet. Keeping my options open...
yeah its deffo possible! lol.
It just depends on how badly you want to do optometry, or how long you want to be in education for.
In my circumstances, i have already retaken a year of a-levels and i'm not sure if i want to spend 4 years slaving away at uni trying to become an optometrist.
But each to their own i guess, If you are determined then go for it :smile: I still haven't made up my mind about it yet. Keeping my options open...

I'm dyyyyying to do Optometry lol 😭😭😭
Btw what did u get for your AS and what's your predictions ?? What uni u planning to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone have any social networking (fb/ig e.g) so I can get to know someone also doing ophthalmic dispensing at city 😭😭 I feel I'm the only one 😭
Original post by princessBG

Yesssss 😁
Reply 13
I did ophthalmic dispensing but did the diploma, you'll be based at city and islington college as well city uni.. Only down the road from each other
The course is pretty straight forward maths physics bio and optics.. If you do your two years and get optometry you might have to pay out of pocket for the final year

Hi guys :smile: I'm wanting to apply for opthalmic dispensing, can I ask what your predicted grades were?
Thank you

Quick Reply