The Student Room Group

Work Experience?!

This has forever confused me - my college didn't provide support in this area and my parents aren't really the sort with any connections - but how exactly do you get work experience?

I honestly don't have the first clue of where to begin - should I write a letter, or is it better to email? Or phone? Who should I contact?

I'm thinking about getting in touch with a nursing home and trying for some experience there, but when it comes to hospitals, they're so complex I just have no idea where to start.
Thanks for any replies!
Reply 1
Getting work experience can be difficult, but honestly most doctors understand this and are happy to help out if they can. Writing letters is more professional than an email and easier than making endless phone calls, so I'd go that route and send out letters to local GP surgeries, hospitals etc.

As for who to address to, use google to find the names of partners in GP practices or consultants in hospital specialties. Most hospitals will have a website that list the consultants for each specialty. Either pick one at random or, if they are listed, choose the clinical lead for the specialty. Considering there are so many people who want work experience, consultants don't get too many letters like this and are likely to be impressed with your initiative. Send out lots and I think your chances of getting something (or probably several things to pick from) are good.

Different hospitals have different policies about work experience, but I work in a big tertiary centre and we have people from time to time.

Where in the country are you? You might get some offers on here!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending