The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Question re: study time & exams

Hi, so the OU website advises that a 60 credit module will take about 18 hours of study time per week; what's your pragmatic experience with this? Is 18 hours over-estimating, or about right?

Also, how far in advance do you get informed of exam dates? (I'm thinking in terms of the practicalities of booking the time off work!)

Thanks in advance of any responses :smile:
Original post by Glitter_Viking
Hi, so the OU website advises that a 60 credit module will take about 18 hours of study time per week; what's your pragmatic experience with this? Is 18 hours over-estimating, or about right?

Also, how far in advance do you get informed of exam dates? (I'm thinking in terms of the practicalities of booking the time off work!)

It really depends on how well you take to it and on the module. I've seen me have to do more than the required amount for some modules and less for others. It's really hard to say until you really get down to studying it I'm afraid. But I would think 18hrs would be a good estimate. Although I imagine other people will take similar approach to me and blast it one week and do very little the next rather than always doing a set amount each week.

Exam periods are known depending on module starts but the actual date and session (AM or PM) of a specific exam usually announced later, few weeks or month or 2 into module start if not already announced. So you might not be given exact date when module starts but will know what week it's going to lie in. Although it does appear that newer modules are scheduled and known earlier so should be easier to book time off.
http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/help/assessment/examination-timetables is the timetables for exams.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Thanks so much for your reply - very helpful & informative :smile:
Thanks so much for your reply - very helpful & informative :smile:

You're welcome.
Reply 4

In my opinion 18 hours is over-estimated, but I've just come out of A-levels so I'm used to doing a lot of work and read quickly so that may make a difference. It seems to depend on the person, some need less and others longer :smile:
Original post by Ellen_95
In my opinion 18 hours is over-estimated, but I've just come out of A-levels so I'm used to doing a lot of work and read quickly so that may make a difference. It seems to depend on the person, some need less and others longer :smile:

At level 1 I would say it is an overestimation especially if not long out of education as level 1 builds from GCSE level up so it's not as taxing. Level 3 can vary but does generally take a lot more time than equivalent number of credits at lower levels.
Original post by laalNick
At level 1 I would say it is an overestimation especially if not long out of education as level 1 builds from GCSE level up so it's not as taxing. Level 3 can vary but does generally take a lot more time than equivalent number of credits at lower levels.

Also I would say that an overestimation is always better than an underestimation! Better to end up having a bit more free time than planned than not enough time!!:wink:

Quick Reply