The Student Room Group

No means no but now yes also means no?

Feminists , please explain?!

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well, if someones like paralytic drunk, or they threaten them with something to get you to say yes (I've had friends threatened with being kicked out a guys house sontheyd have to walk a very long distance home alone if they don't have sex with a guy), or even 'yes you can come in' doesn't mean yes have sex with me...
And sometimes no means yes. For example, if you're in the BDSM community, part of the fantasy might be crying 'no' with the underlying understanding that both parties are consenting to the act. And a safety word to ensure the comfort of the people involved.

There are cases involving half-conscious women and men saying 'yeah, go on, shove it in' who simply cannot be expected to provide consent. But no one is really contesting that. It seems the point of the woman in the picture is to seem astonishingly profound, but in reality it just comes off as edgy for the sake of edginess.
Reply 3
Original post by redferry
Well, if someones like paralytic drunk, or they threaten them with something to get you to say yes (I've had friends threatened with being kicked out a guys house sontheyd have to walk a very long distance home alone if they don't have sex with a guy), or even 'yes you can come in' doesn't mean yes have sex with me...

I don't see a problem with your second example. It's a bit harsh and i'm not somebody who'd be that mean but i think it's quite legitimate to offer somebody a choice between leaving or having sex. That's certainly not rape or anything, she should have got the cab fair on her.
Is it the same of it is the same sex or a women raping a man?
Reply 5

It's their house, you don't have the right to be there unless they allow you to. If you have sex with him because you don't want to go out, that's a choice. He'd a dbag, not a rapist. The other examples are covered by the law and are already considered rape.
Also, do you know who the girl in the photo is?
Original post by william walker
Is it the same of it is the same sex or a women raping a man?

Women can't rape men. Sexual assault, legally.

Why would it not be the same if a man were the victim? I don't understand. If you mean rape isn't exclusively a feminist issue, naturally that is true.
Original post by callum_law
Women can't rape men. Sexual assault, legally.

Why would it not be the same if a man were the victim? I don't understand. If you mean rape isn't exclusively a feminist issue, naturally that is true.

They can assault a man though. I think the law in this case is an ass.

No I mean a women, raping or assaulting another women?

I think the second example is coercion and must be counted as rape.
Or does it?

When I was a kid I said yes when my grandpa asked for sex that obviously didn't mean consent since I didn't have the maturity to consent.

You can be mentally incapacitated in one sense or another enough where whether you said yes or no it doesn't matter you can't give consent end of story.
Original post by Rakas21
I don't see a problem with your second example. It's a bit harsh and i'm not somebody who'd be that mean but i think it's quite legitimate to offer somebody a choice between leaving or having sex. That's certainly not rape or anything, she should have got the cab fair on her.

Would you really be comfortable having sex with someone knowing that they're literally only doing it so they don't have to walk 10 miles in the rain at 4AM to where they live?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by william walker
I think the second example is coercion and must be counted as rape.

A threat is not necessarily rape. It depends on the extent of the impact of the threat on the victim. If V were told they had to walk 20 miles homes, one would presume a larger extent of impact on the victim. However, if V were told they were going to have to leave the house if they did not have sex and lived around the corner, the extent of the impact of the threat would be limited.
Original post by Justadude14
When I was a kid I said yes when my grandpa asked for sex.

This is a seriously worrying statement. If you're being serious.. have you told anyone?
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
This is a seriously worrying statement. If you're being serious.. have you told anyone?

Yeah I did worst choice I could have made but that's not the point the point is yes doesn't always mean it's ok to do just because the person said yes.

For several reasons a person may not be able to consent.
1. Anyone under 16 cannot consent.
2. Coercion (i.e. emotional or physical manipulation)
3. Being too intoxicated to consent
4. Retraction of consent

all instances where someone may say yes but not actually want to have sex
The thing is that if one of the people involved is for whatever reason incapable of giving meaningful consent, it isn't really consent; it's the same reason we don't let children consent to sex, because their brains haven't developed to the point where their able to properly comprehend the question.
but maybe always means maybe
Original post by Dr Pesto
Would you really be comfortable having sex with someone knowing that they're literally only doing it so they don't have to walk 10 miles in the rain at 4AM to where they live?

I'd view both as equally sad people but i don't think it's a crime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending