The Student Room Group

HELP

Okay so I need some help. I left school a couple of months before my exams in 6th year. Obviously I made a huge mistake. I really want to study medicine at university and if I can make it happen then I most certainly will. I need to go to college to study the relevant subjects etc. I'm looking to do this is in the most time efficient way and I'm really just wondering if it's at all possible to self teach some of these subjects on the side and just pay to sit the final exam; if so is possible to do that then how would I go about it. Recently I have just hit a brick wall and don't really know what to do. Any advice/help would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by treatYOself
Okay so I need some help. I left school a couple of months before my exams in 6th year. Obviously I made a huge mistake. I really want to study medicine at university and if I can make it happen then I most certainly will. I need to go to college to study the relevant subjects etc. I'm looking to do this is in the most time efficient way and I'm really just wondering if it's at all possible to self teach some of these subjects on the side and just pay to sit the final exam; if so is possible to do that then how would I go about it. Recently I have just hit a brick wall and don't really know what to do. Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Ok i've had the same kinda experience except I sat my exams whilst I was going through a difficult time at home and didn't do very well in my As levels. From my experience my advice to you would be to not stress about making it time efficient. For medicine you need work experience or relevant experience so why not apply to college to study starting September 2015 and right now seek experience ready for when you apply to university. Perhaps look at going for a week in a nursing home or GP surgery? Medicine is very competitive as i'm sure you already know - so experience before uni is essential! Don't stress about past mistakes - just take as a learnt lesson and look forward now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

I did history a level with the national extension college it was really hard to stay motivated but very rewarding. Look up the NEC though I would recommend if you can going to a college to study as it is structured and the routine keeps you motivated. I couldn't goto college as I live in a remote rural area of Wales and the only option was online learning. Oh and the NEC is expensive it cost me about £400 to do just one a level.
To do an a level without going through an online college like the NEC would be even harder you'd have to find out the syllabus and find an exam centre yourself and you wouldn't have the valuable feedback from a qualified tutor.
Reply 3
Original post by Paladian
I did history a level with the national extension college it was really hard to stay motivated but very rewarding. Look up the NEC though I would recommend if you can going to a college to study as it is structured and the routine keeps you motivated. I couldn't goto college as I live in a remote rural area of Wales and the only option was online learning. Oh and the NEC is expensive it cost me about £400 to do just one a level.
To do an a level without going through an online college like the NEC would be even harder you'd have to find out the syllabus and find an exam centre yourself and you wouldn't have the valuable feedback from a qualified tutor.

thanks for the heads up! I didn't think it would be easy but you have definitely made me reconsider my options, cheers!
Reply 4
Ok i've had the same kinda experience except I sat my exams whilst I was going through a difficult time at home and didn't do very well in my As levels. From my experience my advice to you would be to not stress about making it time efficient. For medicine you need work experience or relevant experience so why not apply to college to study starting September 2015 and right now seek experience ready for when you apply to university. Perhaps look at going for a week in a nursing home or GP surgery? Medicine is very competitive as i'm sure you already know - so experience before uni is essential! Don't stress about past mistakes - just take as a learnt lesson and look forward now :smile:

I'm trying not to stress but I just feel as if everyone around me is doing so well and have all found their path and there's me just standing idly watching them go. Well if it helps I've worked in a private care home for a year and have been employed by the council for the past 7 months in a residential home. I just never knew what I wanted to do in high school especially when it came to choosing my subjects.. I was too immature at the time. I'm not sure which courses/subjects would be beneficial to me but thank you very much for taking the time to reply! (PS i've been out of school for 3 years come may and I'm really eager to get back into education before I wish my life away)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5

I'm trying not to stress but I just feel as if everyone around me is doing so well and have all found their path and there's me just standing idly watching them go. Well if it helps I've worked in a private care home for a year and have been employed by the council for the past 7 months in a residential home. I just never knew what I wanted to do in high school especially when it came to choosing my subjects.. I was too immature at the time. I'm not sure which courses/subjects would be beneficial to me but thank you very much for taking the time to reply! (PS i've been out of school for 3 years come may and I'm really eager to get back into education before I wish my life away)

I know how you feel, i'm two years behind and have really beat myself up about it but at the end of the day - you are you, not those you are watching pass you. Everyone has a different pathway in life and at least you now know where it is you want to be heading 😊 It will take time to get there, but it'll be so worth it in the end!! All the best to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending