The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Firmed English Lit at RH

Just wondering if anyone else has firmed/is considering firming Royal Holloway for English?

I have firmed my offer of ABB for the straight course. Would love to hear from people who have done or are considering doing the same!
Original post by ameliafranklin
Just wondering if anyone else has firmed/is considering firming Royal Holloway for English?

I have firmed my offer of ABB for the straight course. Would love to hear from people who have done or are considering doing the same!

Hey there, :smile: I think Royal Holloway is going to be my insurance, but I really like it there (Founder's Building is like Hogwarts, haha). And I've opted to do pure English too. How're you feeling about upcoming university life? A while back I was more nervous than excited, but now I'm just getting more and more excited. :3
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by samalexhuntley
Hey there, :smile: I think Royal Holloway is going to be my insurance, but I really like it there (Founder's Building is like Hogwarts, haha). And I've opted to do pure English too. How're you feeling about upcoming university life? A while back I was more nervous than excited, but now I'm just getting more and more excited. :3

Hey, I was considering doing the same because I had an offer from Warwick and I do love it there. In the end it just had to come down to the little things so I chose RH.
I honestly can't wait! This whole year I've just wanted to skip because I've found sixth form so boring, and I've been at the same school for almost 7 years, I can't wait to leave!
I have had moments of feeling a little nervous as I'm from Bristol and don't know London or the surrounding areas so well, and it's not that close to home, so it's going to be a huge change, but I really can't wait!
Where are you thinking of making your firm?
Hey, I was considering doing the same because I had an offer from Warwick and I do love it there. In the end it just had to come down to the little things so I chose RH.
I honestly can't wait! This whole year I've just wanted to skip because I've found sixth form so boring, and I've been at the same school for almost 7 years, I can't wait to leave!
I have had moments of feeling a little nervous as I'm from Bristol and don't know London or the surrounding areas so well, and it's not that close to home, so it's going to be a huge change, but I really can't wait!
Where are you thinking of making your firm?

Ah really? That's cool, well done! I also got an offer from Warwick (visiting next week), but I really like York so I'm really close to firming York. I totally understand you feeling like you want a change, it'll be cool to experience new places and people. Ah I see, I'm from Hertfordshire and most of my choices are far away too tbh, so I can mostly relate, although RH is the closest being like an hour away. Seen RH twice now and it seems lovely, what're your favourite things about it? I guess the thing is to think that whether you're 20 or 200 miles away, you'll still probably be living independently in a new environment. It's gonna be a big change for most people, it'll hopefully be awesome. :smile:
Ah really? That's cool, well done! I also got an offer from Warwick (visiting next week), but I really like York so I'm really close to firming York. I totally understand you feeling like you want a change, it'll be cool to experience new places and people. Ah I see, I'm from Hertfordshire and most of my choices are far away too tbh, so I can mostly relate, although RH is the closest being like an hour away. Seen RH twice now and it seems lovely, what're your favourite things about it? I guess the thing is to think that whether you're 20 or 200 miles away, you'll still probably be living independently in a new environment. It's gonna be a big change for most people, it'll hopefully be awesome. :smile:

Congratulations! Warwick is amazing, my brother goes there and he loves it, and the course is outstanding. I liked the look of the York course but for me it was just too far away unfortunately.
The course for RH seems ideal, with a nice structure for year one and lots of freedom in the final two years. The department as a whole seems really nice and obviously the campus is so lovely. Love that it's so close to london as well and so inevitably has close links to businesses. I also really liked that Passport system, and the accommodation seemed great.
What do you like about York?
Congratulations! Warwick is amazing, my brother goes there and he loves it, and the course is outstanding. I liked the look of the York course but for me it was just too far away unfortunately.
The course for RH seems ideal, with a nice structure for year one and lots of freedom in the final two years. The department as a whole seems really nice and obviously the campus is so lovely. Love that it's so close to london as well and so inevitably has close links to businesses. I also really liked that Passport system, and the accommodation seemed great.
What do you like about York?

Does he? Oh cool, that must be so helpful, because he can give you an insight into university life and everything. Yeah definitely, Royal Holloway's campus vibe seems friendly and welcoming, and the course looks very cool, too. The closeness to London is also a major benefit, but you still get the peace of being on the outskirts which is brill! With York, I just got a kind of gut-feeling I think. The course seems really diverse, the campus is really smart and expansive, and the department just seems really distinguished (Big fan of the town, too, my mum and I were quite happy to just explore that tbh). But as I say, I of course like RH too, it seems pretty solid. (Bit of a nerdy question, this one, brace yourself) What areas of Literature/English are your favourites?
Does he? Oh cool, that must be so helpful, because he can give you an insight into university life and everything. Yeah definitely, Royal Holloway's campus vibe seems friendly and welcoming, and the course looks very cool, too. The closeness to London is also a major benefit, but you still get the peace of being on the outskirts which is brill! With York, I just got a kind of gut-feeling I think. The course seems really diverse, the campus is really smart and expansive, and the department just seems really distinguished (Big fan of the town, too, my mum and I were quite happy to just explore that tbh). But as I say, I of course like RH too, it seems pretty solid. (Bit of a nerdy question, this one, brace yourself) What areas of Literature/English are your favourites?

Yeah having him to help is such a great help with everything. I've never been to York or looked at the course just because it was too far for me, but it sounds great! You definitely sound passionate about it.
Hahah, not nerdy at all. My interests are quite broad which is good I guess, and I have found that at school I've enjoyed anything they've given us, even if I didn't think I'd like it. Mostly I love anything postmodern - I've recently read American Psycho and it's honestly one of the best things I've read (as twisted as that may sound). I also love the gothic - The Picture of Dorian Gray is probably my favourite book of all time. I like Shakespeare once I get into it - I found it hard to engage with at first but I enjoy it a lot more now that I've done more of it. I have also read a lot of plays, such as Pinter and Brecht - my brother does English and Theatre Studies, and is an aspiring Theatre Director so that's probably how I developed those interests. The only aspects of literature that I find difficult to engage in is poetry, and also medieval, but I'm wondering if I might enjoy medieval when studying it at a university level. How about you?
Original post by elberethvarda
Hi! I hold some offers from UK universities and can't decide really.. what made you decide on Royal Holloway? Also what do you think about Nottingham and Birmingham on English Literature? And maybe also Leeds, Glasgow and Aberdeen, any ideas anyone? Thanks!! and good luck everybody!

Hi, congratulations on your offers! Where would you be transferring from if you decided to study in the UK? I chose RH because I just loved the atmosphere. Compared to Birmingham which you mentioned, which I think feels a lot more like a large sixth form than a university, RH gave off a fantastic vibe and it really just was gut instinct. I love the course, the tutors, the surroundings, the accommodation, and I love that it is so close to London, yet far enough that you're not having to cope with the busy-ness of london all of the time.
Birmingham is the only uni other than RH that I applied for from the ones you mentioned. It has a solid course, yet the actual place didn't appeal to me as much as other universities I applied for. They gave me an unconditional offer, but only if I made them my firm choice, which to me felt like bribery rather than a compliment. I also know of second and third years at other universities, who rejected Birmingham based on the feel of their campus. However, it is personal preference, and despite the fact it didn't massively appeal to me, I can still see why people choose to go there.
My english teacher went to Leeds and loved it, and my best friend is also making it his firm. I can ask him to find this thread and talk to you about Leeds if you'd like?

I really loved York and the course and am also Hertfordshire. I completely understand your 'gut-feeling' as I felt the same way. However, I am struggling to choose between York and Birmingham. Birmingham is unconditional and I am concerned about the outcome of my grades, so I am considering firming. Although, I really really like Birmingham, there is just something about York that I can't my finger on.
Original post by carysjones10
I really loved York and the course and am also Hertfordshire. I completely understand your 'gut-feeling' as I felt the same way. However, I am struggling to choose between York and Birmingham. Birmingham is unconditional and I am concerned about the outcome of my grades, so I am considering firming. Although, I really really like Birmingham, there is just something about York that I can't my finger on.

You're from Herts too? Oh wow! Ah I see, that's a bit of a dilemma, but that's awesome that you got an unconditional, well done you! Maybe make a list of pros and cons? But yeah that's a hard one. I'm a bit nervous about getting the grades myself, too, which is why I'm glad Royal Holloway's entry requirements are a little lower because I still really like it. It's all a bit nerve-wracking and hypothetical though at this time!
Reply 10
Hey guys, just wondering who else has put Royal Holloway down as their firm choice for English?
I'm absolutely in love with it, and am going to the applicant day this Saturday (21st March)- so excited!
Annie x
Original post by Annie~
Hey guys, just wondering who else has put Royal Holloway down as their firm choice for English?
I'm absolutely in love with it, and am going to the applicant day this Saturday (21st March)- so excited!
Annie x

Hi Annie,

I've merged your thread with the English firmers thread here :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending