The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into a Russell Group uni

I'm having to repeat the year, and i was just wondering what chances i have now as i've been really really worried about it ever since i got my AS results back.

I got ACDD.

It's been almost 6 months now since I restarted year 12 and it's going very very well, much better than my original year 12.

In my January mocks, I got A*AAA (I'm doing A2 bio, AS Maths, AS Chem and S1) which is a significant improvement on last years mock results.

However, I'm currently not sure what course i want to do, but I was thinking about doing something maths based or Chemical engineering.

I was wondering if I still had any chance of getting into a Russell Group university because that's the only reason i'm repeating the year, my head of sixth form basically forced me to repeat the year because she didn't think i was doing myself justice by just going on into year 13 with very bad AS grades, so that was the main reason I decided to repeat the year.

Do i have any chance of doing Chem Eng or a maths based course at a Russell Group uni?

Scroll to see replies

The Russell Group is a research grouping of universities, and members will have different standards of entry. I am sure there are Russell Group universities who would accept you in this situation, but they would not be those with the best reputation for your chosen course. You would be better off looking at subject specific league tables for chemical engineering, and looking at the specific entry requirements for each university on their website. Most will mention how they view repeated years.
Reply 2
I don't think they say anything about repeating the year on their websites in regards to these courses, but I know that for Medicine, Unis generally frown upon students taking a levels over 3 years.
Original post by arch0wnz
I don't think they say anything about repeating the year on their websites in regards to these courses, but I know that for Medicine, Unis generally frown upon students taking a levels over 3 years.

I suspect many will take you but as said you need to check
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
I suspect many will take you but as said you need to check

I've tried looking at websites but it's not giving me any real indication.

Can someone please help me out?
You have a good chance of getting offers from Russell Group universities but it depends on which one. It will be harder to get offer from an elite university within the Russell Group. I know people worse AS grades than you who have gained offers from Russell Group universities.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've tried looking at websites but it's not giving me any real indication.

Can someone please help me out?

You'd really have to contact the university's your considering. They'll be honest with you. As we're not admissions staff it's really hard to say. Try calling or emailing a few.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Raymat
You have a good chance of getting offers from Russell Group universities but it depends on which one. It will be harder to get offer from an elite university within the Russell Group. I know people worse AS grades than you who have gained offers from Russell Group universities.

Which universities did they apply to, can you remember? :redface:
Which universities did they apply to, can you remember? :redface:

Offers from UCL, King's, Queen Mary, Birmingham and Sheffield.
Reply 9
Original post by Raymat
Offers from UCL, King's, Queen Mary, Birmingham and Sheffield.

What course?
What course?

UCL - Pharmacy MPharm, year 12 grades; she got D*D* in year 1 BTEC Science double award, BDE in Sociology, Maths and Chemistry respectively all at AS. She flopped and ended up going to UEL.

King's - Biomedical Science BSc, year 12 grades; he got BCDE in Law, Biology, Sociology and Chemistry respectively all at AS. He flopped and didn't even go university.

Queen Mary - Biochemistry BSc, year 12 grades; he got DDDD in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics all at AS. He flopped and ended up going to UEL or London Met or some other crap university.

Queen Mary - Aerospace Engineering BEng, year 12 grades; he got BDE in Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively all at AS. He flopped and ended up going to City.

Birmingham and Sheffield - Mathematics BSc, year 12 grades; he got BCCD in Economics, Maths, ICT and Further Maths respectively all at AS. He flopped and ended up going to City.
(edited 9 years ago)

In my January mocks, I got A*AAA (I'm doing A2 bio, AS Maths, AS Chem and S1) which is a significant improvement on last years mock results.

Isn't S1 AS Maths?
Reply 12
Original post by Placeboo123
Isn't S1 AS Maths?

We took it as an extra exam, they gave us two seperate grades instead of just 1 overall maths grade.
Reply 13
I'm having to repeat the year, and i was just wondering what chances i have now as i've been really really worried about it ever since i got my AS results back.

I got ACDD.

It's been almost 6 months now since I restarted year 12 and it's going very very well, much better than my original year 12.

However, I'm currently not sure what course i want to do, but I was thinking about doing something maths based or Chemical engineering.

I was wondering if I still had any chance of getting into a Russell Group university because that's the only reason i'm repeating the year, my head of sixth form basically forced me to repeat the year because she didn't think i was doing myself justice by just going on into year 13 with very bad AS grades, so that was the main reason I decided to repeat the year.

Do i have any chance of doing Chem Eng or a maths based course at a Russell Group uni?

If I can get into Russell Group unis for Chem Eng with no A levels at all and just a BTEC and GCSE's then you certainly can. Obviously Oxbridge and places like Imperial are a long shot but overall I'd say go for Russell Groups if that's what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by goodwinning
If I can get into Russell Group unis for Chem Eng with no A levels at all and just a BTEC and GCSE's then you certainly can. Obviously Oxbridge and places like Imperial are a long shot but overall I'd say go for Russell Groups if that's what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is, I got ACDD the first time I did Year 12 (Bio, Physics, Maths, Chem respectively) but I'm really worried I won't get in if i apply after repeating the year, because I'm not sure what their resit policies are as I can't find them. I'm only aware of the medicine ones, but I don't know for other courses such as Chem Eng.

What uni are you at/have gotten an offer for? How did you write your personal statement for Chem Eng?
The thing is, I got ACDD the first time I did Year 12 (Bio, Physics, Maths, Chem respectively) but I'm really worried I won't get in if i apply after repeating the year, because I'm not sure what their resit policies are as I can't find them. I'm only aware of the medicine ones, but I don't know for other courses such as Chem Eng.

What uni are you at/have gotten an offer for? How did you write your personal statement for Chem Eng?

Email the universities and ask. They really won't mind answering enquiries like this, so long as you're polite when you email them. If they don't have a written policy on their website, it's probably because they take things on a case by case basis- if you give them your specific circumstances, they can give you personal advice.

Universities can change their policies year on year, so don't rely on what has happened for other people previously.
Reply 16

I got offers from Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield and Nottingham. My personal statement was really good - on the applicant visit days I was told that my personal statement really strengthened my application with them. If you want to read it or you've got any questions about that just pm me.

I know when I went to the applicant visit days for Birmingham and Leeds there were people there with offers who did resits so it's not entirely implausible for you to have a chance of getting an offer too.

Obviously you need to look into resit policies yourself because it does vary depending on the uni. Just email the admissions and they'll tell you if they accept it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by goodwinning
I got offers from Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield and Nottingham. My personal statement was really good - on the applicant visit days I was told that my personal statement really strengthened my application with them. If you want to read it or you've got any questions about that just pm me.

I know when I went to the applicant visit days for Birmingham and Leeds there were people there with offers who did resits so it's not entirely implausible for you to have a chance of getting an offer too.

Obviously you need to look into resit policies yourself because it does vary depending on the uni. Just email the admissions and they'll tell you if they accept it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be great :biggrin:

I've never actually read a Chem Eng personal statement.
Hey there,

My friend failed his AS's real bad and had to resit the year (D's and E's or something). So, he redid them, nailed them, nailed his A2's and now he's doing goddamn CHEMISTRY at WARWICK. I don't know what his final grades were, but damn he must have really aced them.

So TLDR; Friend had to resit year at AS, ends up doing Chemistry at Warwick. So long as you nail them this time round and ace the A2's, you can get into the real higher-up Unis.
Original post by Raymat
UCL - Pharmacy MPharm, year 12 grades; she got D*D* in year 1 BTEC Science double award, BDE in Sociology, Maths and Chemistry respectively all at AS. She flopped and ended up going to UEL.

King's - Biomedical Science BSc, year 12 grades; he got BCDE in Law, Biology, Sociology and Chemistry respectively all at AS. He flopped and didn't even go university.

Queen Mary - Biochemistry BSc, year 12 grades; he got DDDD in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics all at AS. He flopped and ended up going to UEL or London Met or some other crap university.

Queen Mary - Aerospace Engineering BEng, year 12 grades; he got BDE in Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively all at AS. He flopped and ended up going to City.

Birmingham and Sheffield - Mathematics BSc, year 12 grades; he got BCCD in Economics, Maths, ICT and Further Maths respectively all at AS. He flopped and ended up going to City.

Damn! Flops all round :redface: I was hoping that you were saving a success story till last...haha What about students who got slighty better grades at AS, i.e. BBC/BBB/? Got any anecdotes in which students with these kind of grades ended up meeting their aspirational offers or? :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending