The Student Room Group

AQA Chem Unit 1 May 22nd 2015 *OFFICIAL THREAD*

A thread for everything sitting this exam to discuss it after the event and help each other out beforehand!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd love for this to take off, i need help in AQA Chem
Reply 2
Original post by Pascal E
I'd love for this to take off, i need help in AQA Chem

Me too! Partly the reason I made it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I am! hellooooooo
Reply 4
I'm doing the AQA AS chemistry exam too. what topics are you stuck on at the moment
Reply 5
Original post by AyshaU
I'm doing the AQA AS chemistry exam too. what topics are you stuck on at the moment

Mainly the mechanisms! You know, just a HUGE part of the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Retaking this unit! Aiming for an A I'm chemistry a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Itsmonique
Retaking this unit! Aiming for an A I'm chemistry a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get in your first shot at it?? And got any tips on mistakes or anything to avoid??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frances98
What did you get in your first shot at it?? And got any tips on mistakes or anything to avoid??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a C when I first did the exam last year. What I've been doing throughout the year is going over my notes and making sure I have a throughout understanding of each topic. I realised this now in A2, in order to pass chemistry a level you cannot just learn and memorise. simply understand and go over past paper questions. My teacher said that the paper I sat was probably the easiest paper yet.
My advice would be to learn all the equations (PV=nRT etc.). practice as many past papers as you can. Personally I am aiming to do each past paper until I get an A in each of them. Have you used the ''A-Level Chemistry'' website? If not definitely use this, it consists of practice past paper questions relevant to each topic from the specification. If your stuck ask your teacher or watch youtube videos like khan academy or any other video that is following the AQA specification. If you want old past papers I would recommend you to use the ''xtremepapers'' website, which has papers from 2001. Just be careful that some topics in those papers were a part of the old syllabus. My teacher has also made practice papers so if you want I can send them to you. Sorry for the long post!
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have just started mechanisms too. I know what you mean it is a little confusing to get your head round.

I'm just worried because I have another exam on the same day at the same time so I'm scared I'll forget everything as I don't know which exam I'm sitting first.
I got a C when I first did the exam last year. What I've been doing throughout the year is going over my notes and making sure I have a throughout understanding of each topic. I realised this now in A2, in order to pass chemistry a level you cannot just learn and memorise. simply understand and go over past paper questions. My teacher said that the paper I sat was probably the easiest paper yet.
My advice would be to learn all the equations (PV=nRT etc.). practice as many past papers as you can. Personally I am aiming to do each past paper until I get an A in each of them. Have you used the ''A-Level Chemistry'' website? If not definitely use this, it consists of practice past paper questions relevant to each topic from the specification. If your stuck ask your teacher or watch youtube videos like khan academy or any other video that is following the AQA specification. If you want old past papers I would recommend you to use the ''xtremepapers'' website, which has papers from 2001. Just be careful that some topics in those papers were a part of the old syllabus. My teacher has also made practice papers so if you want I can send them to you. Sorry for the long post!

Care to send me those practice papers?
Reply 11
Original post by Super199
Care to send me those practice papers?

Which unit papers are they?? If they are unit 2 could you possibly send me them too??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which unit papers are they?? If they are unit 2 could you possibly send me them too??

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're for unit 1. I also have past paper questions separated into topics for both units if your interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
They're for unit 1. I also have past paper questions separated into topics for both units if your interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes please thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

could you send me them too please

Any chance you could send me your teachers exam papers please - ran out of AQA ones!?
Reply 16
Original post by MadeOnTheTrack
Any chance you could send me your teachers exam papers please - ran out of AQA ones!?

Ditto.
I am resitting too, should be okay because most of it is replicated in A2 chem :smile:
Reply 18
I am also resitting this and Unit 2 chem, I got a B in this last year 78%
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats unit 2?

Quick Reply