The Student Room Group

As Further maths

At the moment I am currently doing the A levels maths, geography, biology and chemistry. If I dropped geography and took As futher maths, what courses would it be useful for at uni? And also, what courses can't i do with only an As in further maths?
Original post by EilishH
At the moment I am currently doing the A levels maths, geography, biology and chemistry. If I dropped geography and took As futher maths, what courses would it be useful for at uni? And also, what courses can't i do with only an As in further maths?

It is most useful for maths, engineering and physics, but would also be fairly useful for more varied subjects such as chemistry.

There aren't any courses that technically require A2 further maths, but it will be extremely difficult to get into maths or engineering at any of the top universities without it. You would only have 1.5 relevant subjects, so would struggle to get in (have to do very well in STEP etc.). If you really want to do these subjects at university I suggest doing all of A-level further maths next year.
Just checked, Warwick requires A2 further maths for mathematics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EilishH
I dropped geography and took As futher maths

Best decision of your life :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Placeboo123
Best decision of your life :biggrin::biggrin:

Maybe, it depends on the person. If they're aiming to study maths at university, the best thing to do would be to take all of A-level further maths and physics next year.

Quick Reply

Latest