The Student Room Group

90 Christians in in Syria kidnapped by ISIS on Aljizeera but not BBC. Has the BBC...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marco1
Thank you. That's interesting to hear because it makes some sense. I always viewed the 6pm slot a bit differently, as the most important one because it is watched by the most UK residents at one time.

Yeah it would seem counter intuitive for the news, but they wouldn't want to show dark, depressing news the entire time or else few people would want to watch it. It's why The One Show has the prime-time slot on TV, even though it is just vacuous nonsense - viewers don't want to think.
Original post by Marco1
I don't think so because at 6pm they run exactly the same programme as BBC1.

It may have already been aired or they may air it later once it has been fact checked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Marco1
Significant events like the above for example. It involves real life civilian Christian captives in fear of what awaits them at the hands of these ISIS crazies. Going from what we know about them, they probably already put to death any man who wouldn't covert on demand and any woman deemed fit enough between the age of 9 and 50 would be kept for marriage to ISIS fighters. The other females under 9 or over 50 would be killed probably. I think, objectively, that is of more importance than three young Muslim teenage sympathisers of ISIS running off to join them. How many of the British public really care about them? I have no sympathy for them at all and I was amazed when the sister of one said at home they were forbidden to speak of ISIS. I would have thought it pretty worth some family discussion to get a clear handle on who and what they are, but that's just me I guess.

A very distressing news item. I've been upset about it since hearing about it on the news earlier :redface:, praying for them, God help them.

Probably because of all the terrible things going on this story will just disappear along with the 250 girls boko haram kidnapped last year. I think about them often.
Reply 23
This is because RussiaToday are pro-Christian and religion in general while BBC are godless atheists working for the synagogue of Satan.
Reply 24
Original post by Racoon
A very distressing news item. I've been upset about it since hearing about it on the news earlier :redface:, praying for them, God help them.

Probably because of all the terrible things going on this story will just disappear along with the 250 girls boko haram kidnapped last year. I think about them often.

I'm saddened to learn Boko Haram is now using girls as young as seven years of age as suicide bombers. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/22/girl-as-young-as-seven-kills-herself-and-five-others-in-nigeria-suicide-bombing
On the positive side I'm very pleased to learn that a combined military effort from Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger are really turning the tables on Boko Haram at long last killing loads of them. They're are getting squeezed from all sides now and have nowhere to run. The sooner they're wiped out completely, the better.
Can't say I've heard any updates about Boko Haram from the BBC News in weeks. Points to very bizzare priorities in my view.
(edited 9 years ago)
The BBC did report on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31601451

This was pretty low down (on the front page) today, but it was near the top of the front page yesterday.

They're probably not going to report on it much on the TV because there doesn't seem to be any footage of it, and the details may be unclear, so it's difficult to compile a proper news report. If video had come out of the incident there probably would be a BBC video news report on it.
Reply 26
Original post by SiminaM
Tbh I think Russia Today is very objective, maybe the most objective of all...

I do enjoy RT. It does some really gutsy news reporting. At times it can get a bit too anti UK and US for me though. They've done some awesome reporting on Syria from reporters like Paula Slier and Maria Finoshina. Outstanding stuff.
Reply 27
Original post by Marco1
I think, objectively, that is of more importance than three young Muslim teenage sympathisers of ISIS running off to join them. How many of the British public really care about them? I have no sympathy for them at all and I was amazed when the sister of one said at home they were forbidden to speak of ISIS. I would have thought it pretty worth some family discussion to get a clear handle on who and what they are, but that's just me I guess.

Probably not...

I don't think anybody has sympathy for them, but that's not the main reason behind it being headline news. It's the fact that three young British people had their heads turned by extremists and weren't caught before leaving. It's a matter of national security. It's a pretty big deal, as if they're ISIS sympathisers then they're enemies of this country and at some point they might try and come back. There may also be more Britons like these girls out there having these thoughts. The story has huge relevance to the British public.

Whilst it's obviously a big deal that 90 people have been kidnapped, and I for one would like to hear about it, truth is it's just more of what we've come to expect from ISIS. And aside from the shock value because of the large number of people taken, there's not enough in the story from a British perspective to make it headline newsworthy... At least not with the other stories out there at the moment.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm fairly sure it was reported through the day, on their actual news channel. The RSS feed from them featured it.
They did report the story, but like others have said they didn't put it where children would see it.

Original post by Mr. Woo
This is because RussiaToday are pro-Christian and religion in general while BBC are godless atheists working for the synagogue of Satan.

Erm... Atheists at the synagogue of satan. Right.
Perhaps they only seem atheist because they report on religious stories objectively, rather than highlighting cases involving religion. Emphasising religious involvement in news events could actually lead to prejudice and hate crimes, so perhaps they're doing us all a favour?
I happen to like BBC news.
Reply 29
Original post by Cll_ws
Probably not...

I don't think anybody has sympathy for them, but that's not the main reason behind it being headline news. It's the fact that three young British people had their heads turned by extremists and weren't caught before leaving. It's a matter of national security. It's a pretty big deal, as if their ISIS sympathisers then they're enemies of this country and at some point they might try and come back. There may also be more Britons like these girls out there having these thoughts. The story has huge relevance to the British public.

Whilst it's obviously a big deal that 90 people have been kidnapped, and I for one would like to hear about it, truth is it's just more of what we've come to expect from ISIS. And aside from the shock value because of the large number of people taken, there's not enough in the story from a British perspective to make it headline newsworthy... At least not with the other stories out there at the moment.

If they are ISIS sympathisers, then why are we spending public money to bring them back to Britain instead of letting them go and not letting them back in - zero tolerance? I expect it is much to do with the political/diplomatic embarrassment factor of yet more UK citizens joining the ranks of ISIS jihadies, which is an unsatisfactory, superficial reason.

Of course there are more British girls getting drawn into this evil cult of ISIS and that is exactly why we need to be very aware of what they are really about, warts and all, to remove the ISIS mystique that attracts these impressionable minds. Knowledge is power, not a taboo! It doesn’t do Britain or any other nation any favour to turn a cavalier eye to more disturbing atrocities from ISIS and qualify it by reasons like, ‘Well, we know what they do know so no need to bother reporting it' or 'There's not enough new and intriguing in the story to make it interesting to the general public'. That road will only result in bringing more harm to Britain and other nations. What I mean is, it’s folly to get comfortable and used to hearing about ISIS. It is necessary to remain as sensitized, uncomfortable and outraged as we can about what ISIS are doing, so an awareness of public conscience can act as catalyst for their eventual eradication from the planet, like the disgusting human pestilence they are. While the cult of ISIS still exist there will always be a huge security problem for the UK and other nations. Apart from issues of national security, there is the deeper moral issue incumbent on humanity of not allowing this operational persecution of innocents to continue.
(edited 9 years ago)
ISIS are scum that needs exterminating fast and the British are too p/c and weak now to do it. Shamefully naive and slow to act. Your Britishness will soon be gone forever because you have gone soft . Churchill would be fuming
Reply 31
Original post by Marco1
I'm saddened to learn Boko Haram is now using girls as young as seven years of age as suicide bombers. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/22/girl-as-young-as-seven-kills-herself-and-five-others-in-nigeria-suicide-bombing
On the positive side I'm very pleased to learn that a combined military effort from Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger are really turning the tables on Boko Haram at long last killing loads of them. They're are getting squeezed from all sides now and have nowhere to run. The sooner they're wiped out completely, the better.
Can't say I've heard any updates about Boko Haram from the BBC News in weeks. Points to very bizzare priorities in my view.

This example shows that the answer lies with those countries/continents who share the same land (and supposed beliefs) to do the work in annihilating the death cult, as to coin a phrase from the PM. What one has to remember is that not only do they hate everyone who has a different opinion to them, they also hate and kill their so called 'own'.
Original post by Marco1
Has the BBC lost it's objectivity?

I waited to learn something more of this on 6pm BBC News.
http://rt.com/news/234971-isis-kidnaps-christians-syria/
Headlining was an insubstantial update on the search for the three young wannabe ISIS terrorist girls but there was no mention of 90 Christians who have been taken by ISIS in North East Syria. I find the BBC news priorities are highly suspect when it comes to what is omitted and what is aired. It has become too partial and contrived to take seriously. They seem to prefer to focus on the minor or less contentious stuff, despite the weight and importance of the story. All gloss and no substance. Why are ISIS atrocities not being given more time on the News? Surely hiding the unsexy truth about them, will only attract more UK terrorists to their ranks. Does anyone else feel the BBC News has lost the plot?

:yep: the BBC has lost its mind...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/paris-attacks-do-not-call-charlie-hebdo-killers-terrorists-says-head-of-bbc-arabic-tarik-kafala-10001739.html

it is now merely a Starbucks for bien pensant Islingtonites.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending