The Student Room Group

How do I get in Uni with terrible GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

What uni are you applying to, out of interest?
I am a mature student with what now would be considered below average GCSEs and no A levels. I am currently taking an access course at Birkbeck, and have been offered a place at KCL to study law for September this year (have not heard from UCL and City and have my LSE exam on the 3rd of March). I would say that an access course would be a better fit for you than doing on-line A levels, because it actually gets you back in education, and you will be offered all the support you need but will still be held to a true academic standard. It is also worth noting that the academic profile your lecturer gives on your UCAS form has a big part to play - you will not have this from on-line A levels as they will never have met you.

If I can do this after 20+ years out of education, I have no doubt that others can.

Best of luck.
Original post by elephont
I'm 22 and I've heard it's pointless to retake them. Problem is they require GCSE grades I haven't got because I didn't try in school due to mental health. What do I do?

There are many options - contact your local college and ask if they provide Access to Higher Education Courses.
Also enquire at the university you wish to attend and see if they provide Foundation Degrees that lead onto a degree of your choice.

Speak to admissions teams at the university too as mature students sometimes can get onto a degree through other merits such as experience, interview and/or a short essay set by them.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest