The Student Room Group

Best friend doesn't want to come to my 18th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frosty197
The inside source was her mum. I just wanted to write "inside source".

haha :') even mums can get it wrong sometimes, unless she outright told her mum. Just talk to her, I know she evading you but just try. Maybe give her a call, start the conversation about something else and then move onto the topic of your birthday.
Reply 21
Original post by Sam Walters
Perhaps you should help her instead of getting frustrated at her mental health condition.

Research social anxiety.

Believe me, we have all tried asking her if she's okay. We've told her mum we're worried and her mum has said the same thing. Problem is, we've done all we can and there is no answer back from her. She always goes out with family. Just not with friends. And I think I'm allowed to be frustrated when she left me waiting at a bus stop for fifteen minutes in December, dressed for a party.
Reply 22
Original post by SophieSmall
haha :') even mums can get it wrong sometimes, unless she outright told her mum. Just talk to her, I know she evading you but just try. Maybe give her a call, start the conversation about something else and then move onto the topic of your birthday.

I'm talking about it with another friend. We're going to try and get her down to mine for a mario kart session (bit sad, I know haha) or I'm borrowing the other guy's dog and asking our friend if she'd like to go dog walking because that seems to be her favourite thing to do. I want to make this as pleasant as possible for her, even if it means dog walking :/ lol
Reply 23
if it's because she genuinely doesn't like going out and feels uncomfortable, i wouldn't get too mad at her for it. some people feel really awkward and anxious being around drunk partying people when they don't like being like that, and if she previously hasn't gone out to situations like that it's nothing personal, she probably wishes she felt comfortable enough to go out. maybe suggest a girly night in with pizza and movies as well to celebrate you're 18th? that way it's an extra celebration plus she's included
Reply 24
Original post by Laura57
if it's because she genuinely doesn't like going out and feels uncomfortable, i wouldn't get too mad at her for it. some people feel really awkward and anxious being around drunk partying people when they don't like being like that, and if she previously hasn't gone out to situations like that it's nothing personal, she probably wishes she felt comfortable enough to go out. maybe suggest a girly night in with pizza and movies as well to celebrate you're 18th? that way it's an extra celebration plus she's included

Yeah, I might try that. It'll have to be before my birthday though because of exams :s-smilie: Think I was just being a bit self-pitying like "Why doesn't she want to hang out with me?!" haha
Thanks, I was planning on trying plug eventually. My sister's made me a plan for my birthday and it pretty much involves trying to make it all the way down West Street :eek: Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a go :smile:

If you go to West Street, I'd avoid Basement, particularly if you've had a few drinks, those stairs are shocking and West Street Live (a bit cramped!). The places on Carver Street are waaay better!

As for your friend, maybe try a little gentle persuasion . "It won't be the same if you're not there", "we'd love you to come", "it's only one night, you might enjoy it", "everyone else is going", "we might not get too many more chances to do this again" etc. But if she is insistent she doesn't want to come, then there's not much you can do.

Edit: Just seen Laura's advice, if she really doesn't want to go and it's not her thing, then that's a great idea, plus you can extend your birthday celebrations!
(edited 9 years ago)
Believe me, we have all tried asking her if she's okay. We've told her mum we're worried and her mum has said the same thing. Problem is, we've done all we can and there is no answer back from her. She always goes out with family. Just not with friends. And I think I'm allowed to be frustrated when she left me waiting at a bus stop for fifteen minutes in December, dressed for a party.

You cant get annoyed at someone when its not their fault they are like that.
Reply 27
Original post by Chris22
If you go to West Street, I'd avoid Basement, particularly if you've had a few drinks, those stairs are shocking and West Street Live (a bit cramped!). The places on Carver Street are waaay better!

As for your friend, maybe try a little gentle persuasion . "It won't be the same if you're not there", "we'd love you to come", "it's only one night, you might enjoy it", "everyone else is going", "we might not get too many more chances to do this again" etc. But if she is insistent she doesn't want to come, then there's not much you can do.

Edit: Just seen Laura's advice, if she really doesn't want to go and it's not her thing, then that's a great idea, plus you can extend your birthday celebrations!

Cheers for the advice :smile: Haha, West Street Live was the one my sister insisted I go to. Mind, she's ten years older than me so I don't want to be the only 18 y/o in a room full of legit adults.

I'm just going to accept that my thing is not her thing and vice versa. Besides, if doing something extra means I get extra cake then I suppose I'll live :wink:
Reply 28
Original post by Sam Walters
You cant get annoyed at someone when its not their fault they are like that.

I know, but she knew I was waiting for her outside by myself. She really could have called me earlier. It's not like she even said sorry. Ah well, I'll let it go eventually.
Reply 29
I can see where you friend is coming from, as i'm similar hahaha. I didnt go to my best friends 18th party either but that was other circumstances. Nevertheless, it could be her personality type of not being a really party person but more family type. Or even situations at home where she isnt allowed but feels to embarrassed to say. Im sure she will feel gutted if she doesn't go, like you are best buds. she may feel uncomfortable to go out and proper party, as you say she hasnt really been to many. Make her feel more comfortable by spending days out together?

But, perhaps you need to explain to her why you want her to be there, and offer any help if she needs it in a way to attend? Like say how it will be nice to be together and a great night it would be?

Also if you dont know for certain what her answer is, either prompt her to get one but in a nice way? Like ask if everything is okay, and if she is going to come.
I see your point, and i agree. I would want my bestfriend to come to my 18th, its like the best birthday to celebrate!
Happy birthday in advance! :smile:
Exact same thing happened with my best friend. She didn't come to my 18th even though I reeeeally wanted her to. I was upset but got over it eventually.
I know, but she knew I was waiting for her outside by myself. She really could have called me earlier. It's not like she even said sorry. Ah well, I'll let it go eventually.

Perhaps you should grow up a bit and do a bit of reading into mental health.
In the OP's defence, she does seem to be willing to help her friend. It's not like she's hanging out to dry/ditching her. She's making alternative plans purely to suit one person. This will cost her more money, cause inconvenience, particularly around exam time and host two separate birthday celebrations, when she would otherwise only host one.

And if she's left outside in the freezing cold, which can be quite frightening for a young girl,I think she's entitled to be a little miffed. She's going above and beyond to help this one friend, seems to be understanding of the problem (as much as someone who hasn't suffered with mental health problems can be) and is even talking to this girl's mum to try and help her. She seems to be there for her, but there's only so much she can do!

I'm not sure what else she can do?
I've never been one for nights out, but I WOULD go out if it was for a birthday. I really didn't enjoy it though, and it makes me wonder why you would want your best friend to have a night you know she won't enjoy just because it's your birthday. It seems odd to me. If she really is your best friend, do your own thing and go out together to do something you will both like.
Reply 34
Original post by Chris22
In the OP's defence, she does seem to be willing to help her friend. It's not like she's hanging out to dry/ditching her. She's making alternative plans purely to suit one person. This will cost her more money, cause inconvenience, particularly around exam time and host two separate birthday celebrations, when she would otherwise only host one.

And if she's left outside in the freezing cold, which can be quite frightening for a young girl,I think she's entitled to be a little miffed. She's going above and beyond to help this one friend, seems to be understanding of the problem (as much as someone who hasn't suffered with mental health problems can be) and is even talking to this girl's mum to try and help her. She seems to be there for her, but there's only so much she can do!

I'm not sure what else she can do?

Sorry, just seen this. THANK YOU! In the end I changed the plans and went to the pub instead, so she could come. Thankfully she did come. I can do Sheffield after my exams with other friends :smile:
Also, your point about mental health actually makes me want to mention something. You all naturally assume that I have never had issues with it, when in fact I have. Just want to say that people shouldn't assume things about another person's mental health when they have know background knowledge about that person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending