The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flibber
Thanks. However, there are hardly any courses that sound worth doing in great depth for three or four years, and none that have 'clicked', although I do have a list of books I've read/been reading/plan to read. I also feel slightly jealous of the people here, who already have enough supercurriculars and grades (provided they get what's been predicted) to fill 75% of his CV/ résumé (the rest can be filled with their AS Level results) for UCAS.

I was the same. I even thought the subject I'm super excited to study now sounded gross in Year 11. Just do stuff related to what you're interested in, and venture into subjects that are similar to your interests. I don't think it's as easy as "clicking" but more of a gradual realisation. Hopefully the books will lead you closer. You have a while though, you're alright :smile:
Hey Guys, I know most of you are still waiting for your GCSE's but I did CIE meaning that I got mine on the 11th August. Even though this isn't a results thread just wanted to say that I got 9A* and 3A's. I'm elated, hopefully this means I'm still on track for Medicine at Cambridge in 2017? I hope my grades are god enough especially as my % of A* isn't 90 or anything? Now I'm onto the beast called A-Levels...
Original post by desertlover
Hey Guys, I know most of you are still waiting for your GCSE's but I did CIE meaning that I got mine on the 11th August. Even though this isn't a results thread just wanted to say that I got 9A* and 3A's. I'm elated, hopefully this means I'm still on track for Medicine at Cambridge in 2017? I hope my grades are god enough especially as my % of A* isn't 90 or anything? Now I'm onto the beast called A-Levels...

Well done!! They're a great set of results, which I'm sure are more than good enough for Medicine.
Reply 243
Good luck to the 2017 Cambridge Hopefuls collecting their GCSE results tomorrow!

The first step!
Good luck everyone with GCSE results. Even if you're disappointed with your results, as long as you got A/A* in the subject you want to study at university, don't give up your hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile
DON'T FORGETIf you have any questions about Cambridge, the course/subject, student life, university in general, etc etc etc, there is a Q&A on twitter TOMORROW - Friday 21st August, 9-10pm. Use #cambtweet or tweet directly to one of the accounts. There is currently a general cambtweet account plus ones for the following subjects: engineering, law, history, geography, english, maths, economics, education, philosophy, MML, HSPS, bio natural sciences, phys natsci, computer science and medicine! :biggrin:
11.5a* and 2a at gcse - can't believe it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Good luck everyone with GCSE results. Even if you're disappointed with your results, as long as you got A/A* in the subject you want to study at university, don't give up your hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed!

And also Cambridge do like to see academic improvement from GCSE to AS-level so a "less good" GCSE profile should not hinder applicants (except perhaps for Medicine).

(Just a shame ASs won't be an option for many of the incoming Y12s....)

Posted from TSR Mobile
9 a*s, 2 a's and 1 b (lol)

Getting one remarked as I was 1 ums away from a* (Which made me cry for 20mins)

Hopefully should bring it up to 10!!!!
Reply 249
Look like I've got no chance going to Cambridge, I just want to cry at how bad my results are right now... :frown:
Original post by jamestg
Look like I've got no chance going to Cambridge, I just want to cry at how bad my results are right now... :frown:

You still have as much a chance as anyone else as long as you get a high UMS at AS Level Maths.
Reply 251
Original post by flibber
You still have as much a chance as anyone else as long as you get a high UMS at AS Level Maths.

Hopefully haha!

I'm half glad I got bad results as a motivation factor for A-levels...

What did you get?

Spoiler

Is 6A* 4A for my GCSEs good enough for medicine,let alone Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
10A* and 1A. A is getting remarked so will hopefully be 11A*s! Well done to to everyone else. Don't be disappointed if you haven't don't as well as you'd hoped - AS UMS is far more important than GCSEs!!
Original post by jamestg

Sorry to read this, BUT did you see my post just above...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 255
Original post by jneill
Sorry to read this, BUT did you see my post just above...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I did! I get your point about progression!
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I got 6A's and 5B's and I'm looking to do Physics at Cambridge in the future, somehow I landed a B with physics and I'm concerned that will be a big detrement to my chances. I can still do my A - level choices of Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, but for some reason things didn't go too well for me...Any advice?
Original post by jamestg
Yes I did! I get your point about progression!

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 9A* and 3As at GCSE which I am over the moon about so annoying I missed out on 2 A* by 4/5 UMS but hopefully this is good enough for Medicine at Cambridge! Hope everyone else did well :biggrin:
Original post by jamestg
Hopefully haha!

I'm half glad I got bad results as a motivation factor for A-levels...

What did you get?

Spoiler

Just to cheer you up a bit and be assured about the point @jneill made. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571&page=21&p=58692275#post58692275
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending