The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone when colleges tend to ask for us to send in essays? (Would they wait till after admission tests?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IcedArizona
I am applying for NatSci (physical) at Cambridge and then Physics and Maths courses or Theoretical physics courses at my other unis. :smile:
I'm a french applicant so i've got weird predictions but for comparison to the cambridge standard which is 16/20 i'm predicted either 17,5 or 18 I think. I'll know next week my actual prediction though when i'll send my application.
What about you?

I am predicted A*A*A*A*A* Cambridge wants A*A*A. which college are you applying to?
Original post by davozgenius
I am predicted A*A*A*A*A* Cambridge wants A*A*A. which college are you applying to?

What course are you applying to, and what are your A-Levels? Also, what college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gmahapatra
What course are you applying to, and what are your A-Levels? Also, what college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am applying to engineering, my A levels are
Maths
Further Maths
physics
Chemistry
Biology
and same Questions to you?
I am applying to engineering, my A levels are
Maths
Further Maths
physics
Chemistry
Biology
and same Questions to you?

Applying to econ:
Maths
Further maths
Econ
Physics
General studies
EPQ
Applying to trinity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gmahapatra
Applying to econ:
Maths
Further maths
Econ
Physics
General studies
EPQ
Applying to trinity

Posted from TSR Mobile

impressive, I am also doing an EPQ; didn't think it counted as a subject. why trinity?
what are your UMS scores and what are your predictions?
impressive, I am also doing an EPQ; didn't think it counted as a subject. why trinity?
what are your UMS scores and what are your predictions?

Trinity because I liked it. It's also a defensive mechanism in that I won't at all feel bad for being rejected. I have 6A* predictions, but the only subject I've had UMS for is maths - where I got 592/600. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Name: Joseph
GCSE: 12 A*s, A^ in Further MathsAS: A (General Studies)A2: A* (Maths)Predicted A2: A*A*A*A* (Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, General Studies) + EPQCourse: Maths
Other Choices: Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and Queens' Belfast

Applied day after UCAS opened and now I'm stuck waiting, already going crazy :tongue:
Original post by 10LukeJ
Name: Joseph
GCSE: 12 A*s, A^ in Further MathsAS: A (General Studies)A2: A* (Maths)Predicted A2: A*A*A*A* (Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, General Studies) + EPQCourse: Maths
Other Choices: Warwick, Durham, St Andrews and Queens' Belfast

Applied day after UCAS opened and now I'm stuck waiting, already going crazy :tongue:

You're grades are sorted! You'll get an interview at the very least and then it's up to you from then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
You're grades are sorted! You'll get an interview at the very least and then it's up to you from then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks! Interview will be intimidating - maths you've never seen in front of people you've never met! :tongue: Hopefully it will be okay anyway. STEP looks brutal too - I'm doing the support programme online but idk if there's anything else I can do to prepare really other than past papers :smile:

I'll be applying to Caius :smile: What about you?
Guys anyone who applied to imperial, have you gotten an Email or anything
they didnt even replay to confirm receiving my application, while all the other unis i've applied emaild me back, even got one offer but imperial is worrying me
Original post by GarlicBread01
Nice! CompSci and maths applicant here too! I havent looked at STEP yet but my teachers have said its hard o.O

Btw I'm having trouble picking a college, how did you decide on St Johns?

I live near Cambridge (actually I go to sixth form there) so I've been around and in the colleges my whole life. On the open day in July I found out that the college we always toured around as a family was actually St John's, so it's already a place I know. The tour on the open day also really cemented it for me - they have great grounds, brilliant accommodation and one of the best bursary funds.

If you're going to do STEP, better start practicing now. I suggest doing MAT (Oxford maths test) past papers every week or two until around February, then move onto STEP. If you find MAT tough then you'll find STEP even harder, MAT is pretty easy in comparison.
Guys anyone who applied to imperial, have you gotten an Email or anything
they didnt even replay to confirm receiving my application, while all the other unis i've applied emaild me back, even got one offer but imperial is worrying me

I haven't had one yet, it's possible that they just don't send confirmation emails. As long as you have the UCAS email saying that you application is sent, they should have it.
Reply 3594
When is the deadline for the SAQ?
Original post by jamestg
When is the deadline for the SAQ?

22nd of October

I can't believe all the stuff they make you do just to be considered - about 5 forms to fill out, and the exam!
@jneill, @vincrows,

Since I am reusing 80% of the personal statement I used last year (added only one paragraph to describe my plans for this year), do I need to call UCAS to make sure that it doesn't get flagged for plagiarism or do they have my two UCAS accounts connected somehow to make sure I don't get flagged (the one for 2016 application with my current 2017 application)? What about reference?

Thank you. :tongue:
Reply 3597
Original post by Rachel58
22nd of October

I can't believe all the stuff they make you do just to be considered - about 5 forms to fill out, and the exam!

One of the main reasons Cambridge is so good is the selection process.
Hi there,

Is there any preferred structure when writing the personal statement? Mine is less strict in its structure than the suggested 1)what have you read, 2) how has school work contributed etc.

Thanks
Original post by Katy888
Hi there,

Is there any preferred structure when writing the personal statement? Mine is less strict in its structure than the suggested 1)what have you read, 2) how has school work contributed etc.

Thanks

There's not really a preferred structure, just that cambridge usually wants 80% of academic stuff so don't focus too much about something le DoE or volunteering except if it links to your course. Just make it organised and clear (for example one paragraph talk about your reading and give specific examples of what interested you etc) and it'll be okay. You can see examples in the tsr ps library :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending