The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xiuchen
Good luck to you too!! :biggrin:

I see, so they asked you to travel to Shanghai :P

This makes me so happy haha. Good luck to all of you! Hope to see y'all in Cambridge :smile:

Thanks, will be in Cambridge for the interview - should be able to get invited!!

So annoying that they used to come to Australia for interview up until last year; and the dates for interview in China and Singapore were clashed with my exams, so had to travel all the way from Aus to UK.
I hope we'll all get in :smile: Everything will be fine, just believe in yourself and show how much you're interested in your subject at interview 😉 Hopefully we will see each others next year at Cambridge 😄
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I've just watched the History mock interview on YouTube and it seemed okay. I just hope that I would be able to pull out as much information from a source as the person in the interview did :biggrin: I think I'll practise expressing myself verbally on the Coursework articles :wink:

Hey just wondering, for the pre-interview test for history, do we simply contrast the sources in section 2, saying the similarities and differences; or do we need to present an argument, for example, saying source 1 is more comprehensive... or something like that?

I noticed that the assessment criteria says candidates need to show ability to present a coherent argument so just wish to confirm.

Thanks
I doubt I'll get an interview dude, I just haven't the immaculate academic profile as other applicants. :redface: I have another chapter to go, and then I'm going to read this collection of essays by Historians that my mum got me. :tongue: I live such a geeky life, don't I?

I'm going to call you Strimp, Strimpy, Stimpie, Strimz, Strimpz, Strimpdawg, Strimpdawggy dawg and St Rimpy :wink:

By proper source, I meant the Section 2 Athens things! Yeah, I'll definitely try a few and just do the argument ones instead of doing the mathematics ones (I can't do maths to save my life). It'll probably help me build a few skills, at least.

I'm fairly worried about section 1 because I'm just paranoid that I'll circle the wrong thing or have second thoughts or something. I guess as long as the Sources are reasonable for a 17-year-old, I'll be okay (hopefully). I'm aiming for 60-80%. I just really want to do myself justice... as I said, I think the Section 2 went okay I'm just so mad that I didn't get to explore it as much as I perhaps could have explored it (because of timing). So frustrating!

lol i love 'st rimpy' hahaha

the amount/quality of reading you do makes me insecure! :redface: and i dont think you should be worrying so much about 'immaculate' academic profiles, this is a humanities subject after all!! (theres a reason not all of us are applying for maths+theoretical physics lol

and yeah the argument ones are the ones i did as well, found it useful but not that challenging tbh. Plus i think they're gonna weight the two sections differently (at least thats what i remember Dr Spencer saying in the Murray Edwards Thread) so its not like one exam where you get an overall mark. So even if we all do really badly on section 1 it wont matter if you get a good grade on section 2, which surely will be more important anyways as its literally a test on the skill you'd be using throughout your degree :tongue:
Original post by aidanguo
Australian permanent resident with Chinese passport. However by next September I should have got my Australian citizenship which would make things much easier.

ahh ok, good luck with your application!
Original post by czhang1998
ahh ok, good luck with your application!

yeah thanks, you too.
Original post by aidanguo
Hey just wondering, for the pre-interview test for history, do we simply contrast the sources in section 2, saying the similarities and differences; or do we need to present an argument, for example, saying source 1 is more comprehensive... or something like that?

I noticed that the assessment criteria says candidates need to show ability to present a coherent argument so just wish to confirm.

Thanks

In all honesty I don't know. I had this concern earlier and as such I know as much as you do. I suppose you should just go with your gut and see what happens. Go with what seems natural! Sorry I can't offer any objective device, I have this same concern. Can anyone else help?
Original post by Strimpy
lol i love 'st rimpy' hahaha

the amount/quality of reading you do makes me insecure! :redface: and i dont think you should be worrying so much about 'immaculate' academic profiles, this is a humanities subject after all!! (theres a reason not all of us are applying for maths+theoretical physics lol

and yeah the argument ones are the ones i did as well, found it useful but not that challenging tbh. Plus i think they're gonna weight the two sections differently (at least thats what i remember Dr Spencer saying in the Murray Edwards Thread) so its not like one exam where you get an overall mark. So even if we all do really badly on section 1 it wont matter if you get a good grade on section 2, which surely will be more important anyways as its literally a test on the skill you'd be using throughout your degree :tongue:

Haha sorry! What can I say though, I have 60 history books (owned by me) on my desk, 6 library books on my drawers and 15 history books next to my bed. I live and breathe the subject!! True but you've seen my GCSE and AS results right? Not ideal :redface: I just hope they seem okay given my exceptional circumstances

Very true! I had a go at a few and I got all but one correct. I guess that's an okay sign! I wish I could just get this assessment over with really, but I'm kind-of excited, it seems fun in an incredibly geeky way :redface:

True but I wanna do myself justice, I've had more than enough compromises in regards to my education, and I wanna prove that I'm capable :tongue: Dr. Spencer did say that the real thing will be similar in difficulty to the specimen, so if that's true it's a good sign
(edited 7 years ago)
In all honesty I don't know. I had this concern earlier and as such I know as much as you do. I suppose you should just go with your gut and see what happens. Go with what seems natural! Sorry I can't offer any objective device, I have this same concern. Can anyone else help?

Yeah that's alright. Good luck with your application.
Original post by jneill
Here's an example
An Emma Medicine interview: http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/video/interviews/?showvid=102

Also
Preparing for interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S4rTLibYQw
and
Four example interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUwN6GI-0EQ

Thank you! :smile: so biological mainly would you say?

I've applied to Clare who seem to be quite reluctant to release FOIA documents.. do you know what sort of BMAT scores successful candidates usually have? I know there's no 'guarantee' but if you were to choose a safe score, what would you say would ensure that BMAT isn't a 'limiting factor' per sé?
I'm applying with 11A*s at GCSE and 1A* in A level maths with a 96.3% UMS average as my only year 12 results, and predicted another's 4A*s in biology, chemistry, physics and further maths if that plays a bearing on your answer.

Btw, how do you know so much about Cambridge?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by I can do this

I've applied to Clare who seem to be quite reluctant to release FOIA documents.. do you know what sort of BMAT scores successful candidates usually have? I know there's no 'guarantee' but if you were to choose a safe score, what would you say would ensure that BMAT isn't a 'limiting factor' per sé?
I'm applying with 11A*s at GCSE and 1A* in A level maths with a 96.3% UMS average as my only year 12 results, and predicted another's 4A*s in biology, chemistry, physics and further maths if that plays a bearing on your answer.

Bleh, who cares? Just do your best.

Btw, how do you know so much about Cambridge?

He's a Cambz wizard
Original post by Zacken
Bleh, who cares? Just do your best.

He's a Cambz wizard

For my own peace of mind haha. Put it this way, I'm not awake in my bed at 3am out of choice :wink:
Original post by Cam1925
Hi everyone, I'm applying for history at St John's. I was just wondering if anyone else was applying to my college as it seems like I'm the only one judging from the posts haha.

I've applied for the same course, same college! :wink:

I have zero knowledge of medicine so I really can't say, except that, as for all courses, all aspects of your application are taken into account holistically. @Peterhouse Admissions hosted a Medicine AT thread and it has useful info for applicants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5714
Original post by pompilius
I've applied for the same course, same college! :wink:

Also applied to John's ,but for Architecture. In process of completing data and fee forms, but need to get started on portfolio soon.
For my own peace of mind haha. Put it this way, I'm not awake in my bed at 3am out of choice :wink:

No stats or data is going to give you peace of mind, trust me.
Edit: oops wrong place

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Did anyone apply to Corpus for Maths?
Original post by STRANGER2
Did anyone apply to Corpus for Maths?

Hi.
Yes. I am applying there as well.
Not long now guys :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending