The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just my input.

They don't care about responsibilities and such.

Interview wasn't very challenging in my opinion, was quite disappointed by that, I thought it was because they thought I was stupid but I got an offer so maybe not.

Mine were very subject specific, nothing about me as a person really.

Although I did laugh in one interview and stuff, the second was just so... Formal and serious lol

NatSci btw
Reply 41
Original post by Ayooo
I'm actually quite worried. Considering AS exams will probably be scrapped, universities like Cambridge who don't really look at gcse results as much as other uni's will be forced to do so.

So even you didn't do as well as you could've at gcse, they're the only things they can judge you on before you take your a level exams at the end of the two years

Cambridge's own research shows that GCSEs are not very good indicators of future Tripos performance, so I expect they will increase the emphasis on the Interview and possibly their tests. eg. the use of STEP might increase for sciences. Christ's already use it as a matter of course for Engineering and (my view) other colleges may follow suit and/or use it for NatSci etc.

Also, a top tip for all potential applicants is to read the threads already started by the Cambridge Admissions Tutors (especially Christ's, Corpus and Peterhouse). Their advice is really excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you get an interview at Cambridge is accommodation provided? because I live a good 4/5 hours away at least from Cambridge. Also, Cambridge do a summer school for year 12 and it sounds amazing plus it's FREE. Here's the link for where all the info is: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/access/year12summerschool/
Unfortunately I'm not in year 12 but for those of you hopefuls who are it sounds like a great opportunity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Theawesomejem
If you get an interview at Cambridge is accommodation provided? because I live a good 4/5 hours away at least from Cambridge. Also, Cambridge do a summer school for year 12 and it sounds amazing plus it's FREE. Here's the link for where all the info is: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/access/year12summerschool/
Unfortunately I'm not in year 12 but for those of you hopefuls who are it sounds like a great opportunity!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! Well it is for most colleges if you live far away.
Reply 44

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, depending on college.

And also this is good:
http://www.applytocambridge.com/shadowing/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just curious (I'm a maybeeeeee 2016 applicant) but when exactly do A level reforms and the scrapping of AS come into play? I'm 'international' (if you consider Scotland international, haha).

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Just my input.

They don't care about responsibilities and such.

Also, this.
Reply 46
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
Just curious (I'm a maybeeeeee 2016 applicant) but when exactly do A level reforms and the scrapping of AS come into play? I'm 'international' (if you consider Scotland international, haha).

AS/A reform will impact admissions applicants for entry Oct 2017 onwards. i.e. if you are starting 6th Form in the coming academic year 2015/16.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/info/qualificationreform.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
GCSE Predictions: 10A*s.
Mock Results: Filling in as I get them back: 6A*, 1A (2 marks off an A* in Physics) (Still to input biology [no mocks in other subjects])
A Level Choices: Maths, Economics, History and English Lit.
Courses interested in: Law.

Extra Curricular: DofE, Rugby and CCF. Will be completing work experience @ a law firm this summer.

Good luck to all!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 48
Any potential humanities students?

Check this out - it's organised by Trinity (and it's free) ...

http://www.access.trin.cam.ac.uk/trinity-college-humanities-residential-7th-9th-april-2015/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm aware universities do not care whether I got nearly an A* in my results; I mentioned that in my previous post just as an indication that they were high As and that I could have achieved an A*. I do know universities look at if your A is a high A or a low A so I thought it was relevant. 😊😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Btw for the "high A, low A" thing, that's only for AS and A2 grades. They don't ask about how high or low your GCSEs were into the grade :smile: Also, the only university that does this is cambridge as far as I'm aware!
Reply 50
Original post by cerlohee
Btw for the "high A, low A" thing, that's only for AS and A2 grades. They don't ask about how high or low your GCSEs were into the grade :smile: Also, the only university that does this is cambridge as far as I'm aware!

Cambridge is the only uni that does it for all subjects, but I have heard from reliable sources that Imperial, Durham and UCL have at times asked for UMS grades for some courses. I know UCL's was economics (highly competitive) and maybe others, don't know.
Reply 51
Wow, this is early, but ok.

GCSE Mocks - 12A*s and 1A (88% in History :angry:)
A-Level Choices - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and German
Course(s) interested in - Maths or NatSci
Extracurricular stuff - Not much yet :redface:. I intend to get some work experience soon, and have done a fair bit of extra stuff on Maths. I play a bit of chess too I suppose. While I would like to do some extra things, I'm not really interested in doing Duke of Edinburgh or learning the clarinet - I will only do things related to my course.
Original post by Tau
Wow, this is early, but ok.

GCSE Mocks - 12A*s and 1A (88% in History :angry:)
A-Level Choices - Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and German
Course(s) interested in - Maths or NatSci
Extracurricular stuff - Not much yet :redface:. I intend to get some work experience soon, and have done a fair bit of extra stuff on Maths. I play a bit of chess too I suppose. While I would like to do some extra things, I'm not really interested in doing Duke of Edinburgh or learning the clarinet - I will only do things related to my course.

But clarinet is awesome :tongue:
Reply 53
Original post by misscrouton
But clarinet is awesome :tongue:

I don't doubt it, but if I was tempted to learn an instrument, it would undoubtedly be the Stradivarius. :wink:
Original post by Tau
I don't doubt it, but if I was tempted to learn an instrument, it would undoubtedly be the Stradivarius. :wink:

Woodwind over strings any day :awesome:
As I see it, although I'm a year ahead of you guys but stumbled on this thread:

They don't care about UCAS points
They don't care if you were a head/prefect.
They don't care if you are the best musician they've ever met (exception if applying for organ scholarship or music related)

All they care about is how clever you are.
How hard you work.
And how much you love you're subject.
Just wondering at my school since they've scrapped lots of compulsory gcses I'm only doing 9 in total. I know lots of people are doing a lot more, will this be a problem? I would have loved to have a chance at doing something like classical civilisation at gcse but besides the core subjects and technology generally my school doesn't offer it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondering at my school since they've scrapped lots of compulsory gcses I'm only doing 9 in total. I know lots of people are doing a lot more, will this be a problem? I would have loved to have a chance at doing something like classical civilisation at gcse but besides the core subjects and technology generally my school doesn't offer it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here goes.
GCSE Predictions: 4A*s and 5As(maths GCSE was finished in November I got an A*) I will get more A*s just some teachers don't predict them. (French, History, German)

GCSE Mocks: 5A*s, 1A, 1B.

A-level choices: (undecided) Maths, biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, and Further Maths.

Courses Interested in: Maths, Medicine, French.

Extra Curriculum stuff: School council, Participant of WSJ in Japan this year; Latin and Spanish last year; Classical Greek this year; School Drama production (Les Miséreables). Part of 2 other Drama groups.
Reply 59
Hey I've just noticed a lot of you have put 5/6 a level choices down. I just want to advise you that it will be incredibly hard. Especially at A2 level. Looking at all of your GCSE results you all look very bright but a level is a whole different ball game (I got 9A*a and 2As at GCSE and I struggle with the work load massively in this second year). I'm in a2 level at the moment doing A levels in Maths Chemistry Physics and Further maths (let me tell you that further maths is ridiculously difficult and chemistry is not a walk in the park either)

Also make sure you visit Cambridge before you apply there. I got so wrapped up in getting the grades that when I actually went there on a summer school I didn't like it at all and ended up not applying at all. There was nothing wrong with the uni it just wasn't for me.

Also there is a seventy percent chance that you will get hit by a bike if you visit there on an open day :ahee:

Good luck!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending