The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by _Caz_
Hey I've just noticed a lot of you have put 5/6 a level choices down. I just want to advise you that it will be incredibly hard. Especially at A2 level. Looking at all of your GCSE results you all look very bright but a level is a whole different ball game (I got 9A*a and 2As at GCSE and I struggle with the work load massively in this second year). I'm in a2 level at the moment doing A levels in Maths Chemistry Physics and Further maths (let me tell you that further maths is ridiculously difficult and chemistry is not a walk in the park either)

Also make sure you visit Cambridge before you apply there. I got so wrapped up in getting the grades that when I actually went there on a summer school I didn't like it at all and ended up not applying at all. There was nothing wrong with the uni it just wasn't for me.

Also there is a seventy percent chance that you will get hit by a bike if you visit there on an open day :ahee:

Good luck!
Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEs aren't the best predictor for A level grades though, as they are essentially 0 workload in comparison so it's tough to tell how well you'll cope with it afterwards.
Original post by TVIO
GCSEs aren't the best predictor for A level grades though, as they are essentially 0 workload in comparison so it's tough to tell how well you'll cope with it afterwards.

In all honesty I have found AS easier than GCSE... Although that may be due to my choice of subjects.
Reply 62
Original post by Random1357
In all honesty I have found AS easier than GCSE... Although that may be due to my choice of subjects.

I've no idea which subjects you do, but maths and sciences at GCSE were pitifully easy. Even the AS is several orders of magnitude more workload, and the A2 is a step up after that. Overall, I enjoyed AS year more because I do the subjects I enjoy most, but there's no way maths A2 is easier than maths GCSE.
Original post by TVIO
I've no idea which subjects you do, but maths and sciences at GCSE were pitifully easy. Even the AS is several orders of magnitude more workload, and the A2 is a step up after that. Overall, I enjoyed AS year more because I do the subjects I enjoy most, but there's no way maths A2 is easier than maths GCSE.

I do maths, further maths, further maths (additional), physics, chemistry and biology.

I agree AS maths is harder, but I believe the year is easier: I'm doing four subjects (counting maths as one) not 10! And no essays...
Reply 64
I do maths, further maths, further maths (additional), physics, chemistry and biology.

I agree AS maths is harder, but I believe the year is easier: I'm doing four subjects (counting maths as one) not 10! And no essays...

Unless you're a genius in your subjects or had a really bad time at GCSE I still don't know how you can possibly do less work at AS than at GCSE. I did similar subjects (M,FM,Phy,Computing) and they have quite high workloads as compared to the basically 0 workload of GCSE.
Reply 65
Original post by TVIO

That's a true point. Work hard and you will do well. A levels are very tough. I have RSI in my dominant hand due to overworking it. But rather than lag behind I learned how to write with my left hand so am now pretty ambidextrous. That's how tough a levels are. You don't want to fall behind because catching up is an absolute nightmare. But I am doing less a levels than the amount of people on here want to do so I can only imagine how hard doing 5 alevels would be. I was just making the point that its better to have 3/4 very good alevels rather than 5/6 okayish ones. Most universities only want three or four so you might as well nail those rather than give yourself a load of extra stress. But I suppose it's up to the person really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mock exam results were 1A*, 4As and 2 Bs. I've got two months to improve them as I want all A*s in my real exams. Any advice, especially in Maths? (I got 3As last year I just feel like that's gone now and that I should look to just doing better this year)
Reply 67
Original post by _Caz_
That's a true point. Work hard and you will do well. A levels are very tough. I have RSI in my dominant hand due to overworking it. But rather than lag behind I learned how to write with my left hand so am now pretty ambidextrous. That's how tough a levels are. You don't want to fall behind because catching up is an absolute nightmare. But I am doing less a levels than the amount of people on here want to do so I can only imagine how hard doing 5 alevels would be. I was just making the point that its better to have 3/4 very good alevels rather than 5/6 okayish ones. Most universities only want three or four so you might as well nail those rather than give yourself a load of extra stress. But I suppose it's up to the person really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

this
Original post by TVIO

And Cambridge is several orders of magnitude on top of that :wink:.

If moving from GCSE to AS is akin to scaling a challenging mountain, moving from A levels to Cambridge is roughly like going to the moon.
Original post by ClickItBack
And Cambridge is several orders of magnitude on top of that :wink:.

If moving from GCSE to AS is akin to scaling a challenging mountain, moving from A levels to Cambridge is roughly like going to the moon.

All you gotta do is get in a ship and hope NASA got the calculations right :smile:
Has anyone considered doing the extended project qualification and if so what topics are you thinking of? Or has anyone done it? It sounds like something I'd like to do. Do you think it's something Cambridge look for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by Theawesomejem
Has anyone considered doing the extended project qualification and if so what topics are you thinking of? Or has anyone done it? It sounds like something I'd like to do. Do you think it's something Cambridge look for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't seen Cambridge say you should have it, but it's extra UCAS points which is good for other universities and builds on your essay and research skills. Both important for university!
Original post by jamestg
I haven't seen Cambridge say you should have it, but it's extra UCAS points which is good for other universities and builds on your essay and research skills. Both important for university!

Cambridge won't care about UCAS at all; but it is a good way of exploring your subject and I've heard they can conduct an interview on it.
Reply 73
Cambridge won't care about UCAS at all; but it is a good way of exploring your subject and I've heard they can conduct an interview on it.

I did say "good for other universities" seeing as you're applying to multiple.
Original post by jamestg
I did say "good for other universities" seeing as you're applying to multiple.

Yes but you weren't explicit so I clarified.
Reply 75
Yes but you weren't explicit so I clarified.

Okay but "but it's extra UCAS points which is good for other universities" is fairly clear IMHO.
Original post by jamestg
Okay but "but it's extra UCAS points which is good for other universities" is fairly clear IMHO.

Defensive half...
Reply 77
Defensive half...

Not really, it's basic comprehension.
Reply 78
Defensive half...

Original post by jamestg

Are you guys hoping to do Law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg

No, it is the clarification of a point which was:

a) not explicitly stated, although arguably inferred

b) could easily be misinterpreted.

Irrespective my comment was in no way aimed at you and your response appears illogical and defensive.

Now let's stop nit picking: I can assure you I can defend my position, but would suggest we stop splitting hairs...

Latest

Trending

Trending