The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Are you guys hoping to do Law?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, Natsci, although I hardly criticised anyone :smile:
I won't necessarily be doing it in my subject, just something I find interesting. Why wouldn't Cambridge care about ucas points the average is 567 which is the highest in the uk?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by Theawesomejem
I won't necessarily be doing it in my subject, just something I find interesting. Why wouldn't Cambridge care about ucas points the average is 567 which is the highest in the uk?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't care because they're not relevant. Correlation does not equal causation, especially in this case.
Cmabridge dont care much about personality, extra curricular if not relevant to subject or being a well rounded person.
Concentrate on getting really good at you subject and that is pretty much it.
I failed my gcse's screwed up AS (except maths) and got in for maths. I had one extra curricular which was SMC and BMO.
Good luck. Revise hard for those top marks !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by physicsmaths
Cmabridge dont care much about personality, extra curricular if not relevant to subject or being a well rounded person.
I failed my gcse's screwed up AS (except maths) and got in for maths. I had one extra curricular which was SMC and BMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair, SMC and BMO are RIDICULOUSLY useful for maths entry.
Original post by TVIO
To be fair, SMC and BMO are RIDICULOUSLY useful for maths entry.

Lol, trye true

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does everyone want to study at Cambridge and why? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87

Posted from TSR Mobile

I read they do care about personality because they don't want boring people in their supervisions, they want people who have passion and interest for their subject and who get A*AA+, not just people who get A*AA+. If you come across as quite a boring person with no real passion or enthusiasm with what you're wanting to study, it doesn't look that good.
Original post by jamestg
I read they do care about personality because they don't want boring people in their supervisions, they want people who have passion and interest for their subject and who get A*AA+, not just people who get A*AA+. If you come across as quite a boring person with no real passion or enthusiasm with what you're wanting to study, it doesn't look that good.

No they dont trust me. They said it themselves. I heard one of the addmissions tutors say we don't want well rounded people, we want academics.
Yes they want people with passion.
I doubt they care about boring people. At the end of day it really does come down to real passion which is pretty hard to convey and how good you are at your subject. I have been through the process and trust me, this is all they care about. I met some other people with offers who are the most boring people alive honestly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
No they dont trust me. They said it themselves. I heard one of the addmissions tutors say we don't want well rounded people, we want academics.
Yes they want people with passion.
I doubt they care about boring people. At the end of day it really does come down to real passion which is pretty hard to convey and how good you are at your subject. I have been through the process and trust me, this is all they care about. I met some other people with offers who are the most boring people alive honestly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying well rounded people though! I'm literally just saying here people who are passionate, enthusiastic about their subject and who get the grades. A passion isn't that hard to convey, if the subject is something you really want to do and are interested in it - it's almost instantaneous.

Obviously boring people are going to get through, because it's mainly down to how good are you at your subjects. But if you show this 'spark' it will indefinitely help you.

If you take two people, both with the same grades and one was passionate about it and one wasn't. Who would get it?
Original post by jamestg
I'm not saying well rounded people though! I'm literally just saying here people who are passionate, enthusiastic about their subject and who get the grades. A passion isn't that hard to convey, if the subject is something you really want to do and are interested in it - it's almost instantaneous.

Obviously boring people are going to get through, because it's mainly down to how good are you at your subjects. But if you show this 'spark' it will indefinitely help you.

If you take two people, both with the same grades and one was passionate about it and one wasn't. Who would get it?

Ofcourse the one with passion.
Lol i think were arguing on two totally different points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can being passionate for your subject constitute grades? I used to think no and that if you didn't get the entry requirements Cambridge wouldn't even consider you. The thing is I know a girl who got A*,A, B and got in to do geography, granted the A* was in the subject she wanted to do but what about her B why didn't that impact it. She got an A in English lit and B in maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Ofcourse the one with passion.
Lol i think were arguing on two totally different points.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we are too! Never mind! :smile:
Can being passionate for your subject constitute grades? I used to think no and that if you didn't get the entry requirements Cambridge wouldn't even consider you. The thing is I know a girl who got A*,A, B and got in to do geography, granted the A* was in the subject she wanted to do but what about her B why didn't that impact it. She got an A in English lit and B in maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably many factors: good reference/ extenuating circumstances/contextualised data/ interviewed well/ B in less relevant subject/ may have entered summer pool/ signs that not achieving full potential/ admissions test etc.
Reply 94

Posted from TSR Mobile

A good interview can make up a little for lower academic results. But you do need pretty good academics to get selected for interview. I've seen data showing candidates with very high grades (>95 average UMS) but a poor interview not getting an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
A good interview can make up a little for lower academic results. But you do need pretty good academics to get selected for interview. I've seen data showing candidates with very high grades (>95 average UMS) but a poor interview not getting an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a good interview and a D in chemistry with low marks in physics. Good interviews definately makes up for low marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a good interview and a D in chemistry with low marks in physics. Good interviews definately makes up for low marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths is often the exception to many rules: you can be an exceptional mathematician but not very good at other subjects: being an exceptional physicist without maths would be impossible, however.
Original post by Random1357
Maths is often the exception to many rules: you can be an exceptional mathematician but not very good at other subjects: being an exceptional physicist without maths would be impossible, however.

Ooh. I am flattered lol. But really, my maths olympiad marks probably had abit of weight aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find maths extremely difficult so I always find it amazing when I notice someone who it comes so naturally to e.g. My friend brilliant mathematician does basically no revision and gets an A* in maths(full marks). That's a real skill I think. Good on you mathematicians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find maths extremely difficult so I always find it amazing when I notice someone who it comes so naturally to e.g. My friend brilliant mathematician does basically no revision and gets an A* in maths(full marks). That's a real skill I think. Good on you mathematicians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:mmm::colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending