The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
They have to mention it on the Oxford stats because people who apply there aren't clever enough to know that for themselves, not so for Cambridge. :wink:

Lol haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kennethdcharles
Hey, I personally don't think that our success rate has anything to do with being 'African.' If you look, it is a fact that Africans do on average get lower results than british, indian, and chinese people (definitely not all!) and so this will inevitably have an effect on the success rate; Cambridge do want the best students in the country. Why do we tend to get lower results? There are a number of reasons, such as a lot of us being in deprived areas and schools, lack of ambition due to less success rates etc. I don't at all think that Cambridge success rates have anything to do with us being African, there are other factors which affect grades which ultimately affect the success rate.

Just keep at it you'll be fine! You've got a great set of GCSEs behind you, you're doing well this year, and you go to a pretty good school. All you've got to do is get yourself the grades, and do well in all the other components of the application; your ethnicity will never stop you. After all, Cambridge just want the best students, regardless of their background. If you can prove to them that you're one of the best in the country at your subject, then you will get in.

Yeah. I do know all this, but's it's not just whether i think it'll affect my chances personally, the statistics just make me feel sad in general. Plus, even though on average Africans get lower results than White/Indian/Chinese, it's only going to be high achieving students applying to Oxbridge in the first place. Africans are already underrepresented in oxbridge applications (something like 1% of applicants, but 5% of a-level students are african), so it is really only the top who will apply. I don't think results are necessarily the main reason, as everyone is applying with practically the same results. I think it must be more to do with more socioeconomic factors like you said, schools and deprivation. For example, the proportion of white applicants who were privately educated are going to be a lot higher than the proportion for black students. It would be interesting if there was data on success rates controlling for educational background and qualifications/results/test scores.
Original post by jneill
And you can help your ethnicity by getting that offer :smile:

Cambridge (and RG unis generally) know there is a problem getting good black candidates. The issue isn't with the universities per se, it starts much earlier in the education system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do agree with this. By the time it comes to applying to university the problems are already there, I do believe that (most) Oxbridge admissions tutors do genuinely choose the best based on what they have (on paper and in interview).. Something must happen earlier in the education system. I just wonder if it can ever be fixed. I just wish everyone was equal.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Yeah. I do know all this, but's it's not just whether i think it'll affect my chances personally, the statistics just make me feel sad in general. Plus, even though on average Africans get lower results than White/Indian/Chinese, it's only going to be high achieving students applying to Oxbridge in the first place. Africans are already underrepresented in oxbridge applications (something like 1% of applicants, but 5% of a-level students are african), so it is really only the top who will apply. I don't think results are necessarily the main reason, as everyone is applying with practically the same results. I think it must be more to do with more socioeconomic factors like you said, schools and deprivation. For example, the proportion of white applicants who were privately educated are going to be a lot higher than the proportion for black students. It would be interesting if there was data on success rates controlling for educational background and qualifications/results/test scores.

Yeah there are also other reasons. For example, there is a history of white students attending top universities, mainly because we're in Britain, which means that if you look at families, a lot will have highly educated parents, whereas a lot of black families have migrant parents who have not previously been to uni, never mind at the highest level (again, definitely not all, my father for example has a degree in economics).This can have a key influence; parents can help a huge amount when it comes to interview experiences, personal statement, etc. so it helps if they've actually been to a top university before.
I just wish everyone was equal.

There is a solution, comrade :teehee:

Honestly don't worry about the stats and rates and stuff in relation to your ethnicity etc etc. Focus on your academic ability and interest in your subject. That's what admissions are looking for :yes:
I do agree with this. By the time it comes to applying to university the problems are already there, I do believe that (most) Oxbridge admissions tutors do genuinely choose the best based on what they have (on paper and in interview).. Something must happen earlier in the education system. I just wonder if it can ever be fixed. I just wish everyone was equal.

We Nigerians are pretty smart though :biggrin:
According to Data
Original post by StrawbAri
According to Data

A fellow Nigerian potential Oxbridge applicant? :lol:
this just made me depressed seeing my ethnic group has the lowest success rates.... whats even the point.

Don't worry about stats - they really don't mean a lot as there are so many reasons why they are the way they are. For example, using the example of black african applicants, the number of applicants is pretty small meaning the sample size is also small so the stats can easily be misleading. On top of this, the stats aren't going to affect your application so just ignore them
Original post by StrawbAri
According to Data

Oh Yes! I have seen that. Nigerians are most likely to have a degree than any other ethnic group in the US. :smile:
Original post by teenhorrorstory
A fellow Nigerian potential Oxbridge applicant? :lol:

Me 2 :tongue:
Oh Yes! I have seen that. Nigerians are most likely to have a degree than any other ethnic group in the US. :smile:

NB. The numbers fluctuate significantly year by year due to the small size.

Black African Success Rate
2015 14.8%
2014 17.8%
2013 9.2%
2012 13.7%
2011 16.2%

As others have said, they are just stats. And they don't affect your own chance of success. At all.
I wish I could give you a link, but the website also says that they aim to admit the best students regardless! of age, sex, social background, race or disability!

Btw, why can't I give positive ratings? Looks like that feature is no longer working.
(edited 7 years ago)
Btw, I created a new thread yesterday - it was entirely accidental so feel free to delete it! I wanted to post here.

So, please tell me I'm not the only one who's getting increasingly exited about applying - it's June already! What subjects are we all applying for? (to those who haven't already posted their subjects) I see there are a lot of natural scientists here. I'm applying for English btw, if you haven't guessed.

There seems to be a problem with the site... it wouldnn't always let me submit my reply.
Me 2 :tongue:

Original post by kennethdcharles
Yeah there are also other reasons. For example, there is a history of white students attending top universities, mainly because we're in Britain, which means that if you look at families, a lot will have highly educated parents, whereas a lot of black families have migrant parents who have not previously been to uni, never mind at the highest level (again, definitely not all, my father for example has a degree in economics).This can have a key influence; parents can help a huge amount when it comes to interview experiences, personal statement, etc. so it helps if they've actually been to a top university before.

This is a pretty good explanation. Being African won't count against or for you when you apply for Cambridge, they only care about your grades/potential. I think what you're trying to say is that for any given person of African descent in the UK, there is a lower chance of them going to oxbridge than a white/asian person. This is probably true, but there are numerous reasons for this that I suppose you ca work out, and have already been mentioned.

Also, remember that Asians are hugely over represented in some fields, such as medicine. This is because Asian families in particular have a culture that encourages excellence and well-respected/good paying jobs.
Well, I should have started this the proper way.:biggrin:

final exams taken in 2014
Hungarian lang and lit SL - 5 (the equivalent of an A* or an A, depending on whether it's 90 to 100% or 80%)
history SL - 5
German lang and lit SL - 5
music SL - 5
German ethnic minority studies - 5
English higher - 5 (although it was as far from English literature as you can possibly get :frown:

hoping to retake my language and literature subjects at HL in November, plus I'm taking an A-level in English next summer and of course I'm aiming for an A*.
Just wondering, but has medicine at Cambridge got less competitive in recent years? Idk the admissions statistics page seems to suggest so?
How are you meant to write a PS that is subitable for Cambridge and other universites ie UCL? Would you recommend focusing more on books that you've read which have helped increase your understanding and only stuff that is specific to the subject you want to take (I want to study Geography btw), with little or no reference to extra-curricular activities?
Original post by Zara0526
How are you meant to write a PS that is subitable for Cambridge and other universites ie UCL? Would you recommend focusing more on books that you've read which have helped increase your understanding and only stuff that is specific to the subject you want to take (I want to study Geography btw), with little or no reference to extra-curricular activities?

Yes.

It's fine to mention extracurriculars but a sentence or 3 is enough for most universities.

And there's always the SAQ if you want to go into more detail about Cambridge specifics. They know the PS isn't just for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry for the question here, but what does it take to get into Cambridge apart from amazing grades? Is there an interview or a test? What's it like?
Original post by Zara0526

I made no references to extracurriculars (my studies are my extracurriculars) and it didn't seem to have any negative effect. Oxbridge know that you will be applying to four other universities and don't expect a personal statement to be tailored solely to them, especially for courses which might be unique to them. Besides, you will be able to (but don't have to, I didn't) include an additional PS when you fill out your SAQ if you wish to add something specific to the Cambridge course.

Latest

Trending

Trending