The Student Room Group

How does transgenderism actually exist? How does gender actually exist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
So if a person doesn't fit societal gender stereotypes why say things like "gender is a social construct" and why is it called "transgenderism" if really it's about sex. I've read a lot of the trans threads on TSR and it's always about not fitting their gender rather than their sex (I'm not saying the thing you said about not liking their body isn't true). I don't see how what I described is "arbitrary cultural stereotypes" rather than gender. :confused:

This user can't even use gender correctly....

She doesn't know what she's talking about.

My theory is that it's caused by being made to believe male and female are specific things and that you can't be the person you are as the sex you are because society tells you that you have to fit this mode to be a woman or a man as the goal is to be your true self but what I don't get is why that means I have to change myself for society to accept the person I am in the inside why not just be like take me as I am because who I am truly is who I was at birth inside and out as that's how we are born. It's like in society today we now have two choices hide our sex or hide of true selves I don't get why they can't come together?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Justadude14
I don't get how it is real. Its something people made up and then for this reason some people will say they're transgender. How Can one know they're the other sex? When they start explaining how they're transgender they start talking about the gender they prefer and why. Well gender is man made isn't it? I mean women weren't made where they were supposed to wear dresses it was a choice many made due to societal pressure. Without it we're either female or male sex. That's something that can not change. I think the reason people feel they're a man inside a woman's body is because society paints a picture of what a man and a woman is and they realize they're not the stereotype and more of the other stereotype. But it's all made up at the end of the day why play the game? And instead accept not everyone is the same?

i am not trying to be hateful. I have always been more like the opposite sex gender wise but I feel what does it even mean or matter? Just because society says one thing doesn't change that my body will always see it as the sex it was born so i don't get why gender exists a thing we can't see with our eyes more than sex? Something that's actually tangible?

This is where gender and sex differ. Gender is a social construct and changes depending on the time period as well as the culture while sex is uniuversally recognised bilogically. Transgenderism is not the need to 'act' as the opposite gender but the notion of feeling as though they are the opposite sex. The human mind is complex and many theories have debated whether Transgenderism is based on nature or nurture though one of the most widely recognised ones, and the one i believe provides the best description is the nature argument. This argues that Transgendirsm is determined biologically. When a baby is in the womb, they are female. Testosterone hormones are sent to the baby in order to make it biologically male while more estrogen is sent to a baby to make it female. Now, the transgender argument is that, though the hormones changed the biological sex of the baby, they didnt change the mental sex of the baby and so Transgender people feel as though they were born into the wrong body. It has nothing to do with gender stereotypes. People dont get a sex change just because they want to wear a pink dress, its much deeper than that and you ought to respect their decision. It's an extremely difficult decision to make and these people dont need more stigmatised views attatched to them. perhaps you should research transgenderism before writing a thread that can be seen as very degrading toward the transgender community.
Original post by PsychoticWiz
This is where gender and sex differ. Gender is a social construct and changes depending on the time period as well as the culture while sex is uniuversally recognised bilogically. Transgenderism is not the need to 'act' as the opposite gender but the notion of feeling as though they are the opposite sex. The human mind is complex and many theories have debated whether Transgenderism is based on nature or nurture though one of the most widely recognised ones, and the one i believe provides the best description is the nature argument. This argues that Transgendirsm is determined biologically. When a baby is in the womb, they are female. Testosterone hormones are sent to the baby in order to make it biologically male while more estrogen is sent to a baby to make it female. Now, the transgender argument is that, though the hormones changed the biological sex of the baby, they didnt change the mental sex of the baby and so Transgender people feel as though they were born into the wrong body. It has nothing to do with gender stereotypes. People dont get a sex change just because they want to wear a pink dress, its much deeper than that and you ought to respect their decision. It's an extremely difficult decision to make and these people dont need more stigmatised views attatched to them. perhaps you should research transgenderism before writing a thread that can be seen as very degrading toward the transgender community.

Yeah I find your post sort of ignorant or lack of concern towards ftm transgender people as if they don't exist.

If your sex is female and your gender is male then what happened? That would not apply for an ftm transgender person.

No if you talk to many they talk about gender related reasons and body dysmorphia for the fact that their sex and gender don't "match up" what I don't get is how doesn't it match up? That's likely decided by society...

This is why I personally don't have much dysmorphia I think.
Original post by Justadude14
Just because society says one thing doesn't change that my body will always see it as the sex it was born

I bet you think society is a social construct too.
Original post by HigherMinion
I bet you think society is a social construct too.

What about the fact that when they combine their socially contacted roles,
They may end up with little social constructs running about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People on this thread keep talking about transgender people and their desire to change their sex. However, when we are talking about changing one's sex generally you are talking about a transsexual. One does not need to want to have any kind of major treatment to be transgender.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
People on this thread keep talking about transgender people and their desire to change their sex. However, when we are talking about changing one's sex generally you are talking about a transsexual. One does not need to want to have any kind of major treatment to be transgender.

People also are ignoring how the political left embrace and showcase ideas like homosexuality and transgenderism, constant references to racism, promoting mass immigration, cultural and racial change, feminism, anti-Christianity and pro-Islam as a way to attack and to try to erase Traditional Britain and right now especially England. These traitors have brought about a covert war against England:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Concerned135
People also are ignoring how the political left embrace and showcase ideas like homosexuality and transgenderism, constant references to racism, promoting mass immigration, cultural and racial change, feminism, anti-Christianity and pro-Islam as a way to attack and to try to erase Traditional Britain and right now especially England. These traitors have brought about a covert war against England:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did any of that have to do with the thread or what I said? Please stay on topic. If you want to complain about that start your own thread.
It's something I have struggled with as someone who has never really fit female gender norms and always wished I was born male, yet has never felt any urge to transition whatsoeve. (I don't even dress in a masculine manner). I guess for me it was acceptable for society to accept women who don't fit gender norms, but for some people it makes them feel so out of place that they feel they have to change gender.
To try to answer the original post, gender has to do with how one socially identifies and expresses themselves. It is separate from one's biological sex which is determined by one's physiology. When we look at gender expression we look at the way people present themselves. How they dress, how they speak, mannerisms, certain behaviors, etc. Basically we can say any social interaction is gendered. Gender identity is a lot harder to describe and define. Many people try to explain it as relating with mostly traits of a different gender than the one you are assigned (you are assigned a gender at your birth to match your sex). However, I tend to be of the opinion that it is more basic than that.

If I were to ask a person on the street whether or not they are a boy or a girl their answer would be instantaneous. If I were to follow up with why they feel that way I'm fairly confident that answers would be similar to "it's just how I feel." How we identify is, to most people, something that is almost inexplicable. It's possible that it is informed by our preferences but from my experience it seems to be a 'gut feeling'. I think this is why we have differences in people who are comfortable maintaining their assigned gender even though they don't fit in it very well, and why we have some people who identify as a different gender.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
To try to answer the original post, gender has to do with how one socially identifies and expresses themselves. It is separate from one's biological sex which is determined by one's physiology. When we look at gender expression we look at the way people present themselves. How they dress, how they speak, mannerisms, certain behaviors, etc. Basically we can say any social interaction is gendered. Gender identity is a lot harder to describe and define. Many people try to explain it as relating with mostly traits of a different gender than the one you are assigned (you are assigned a gender at your birth to match your sex). However, I tend to be of the opinion that it is more basic than that.

If I were to ask a person on the street whether or not they are a boy or a girl their answer would be instantaneous. If I were to follow up with why they feel that way I'm fairly confident that answers would be similar to "it's just how I feel." How we identify is, to most people, something that is almost inexplicable. It's possible that it is informed by our preferences but from my experience it seems to be a 'gut feeling'. I think this is why we have differences in people who are comfortable maintaining their assigned gender even though they don't fit in it very well, and why we have some people who identify as a different gender.

Im not, I'm fairly sure the answers from most people would be quite different. If you asked somebody if they were a boy or a girl and why they felt that way you're more likely to get answers of "because I am" or "because I have a penis/vagina". We know that most people 'identify' with their 'assigned gender' and when asked if they're a boy or a girl will instantly think you're referring to their sex.

As for the original question it seems to me that there clearly is a paradox in how we view gender. We simultaneously dismiss it as being merely a 'social construct' while at the same time holding the view that how an individual feels about this 'social construct' is important. It being considered highly offensive to refer to a trans woman as he is highly indicative of the fact that we view gender as something more important and less dismissible than a 'social construct'
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by limetang
Im not, I'm fairly sure the answers from most people would be quite different. If you asked somebody if they were a boy or a girl and why they felt that way you're more likely to get answers of "because I am" or "because I have a penis/vagina". We know that most people 'identify' with their 'assigned gender' and when asked if they're a boy or a girl will instantly think you're referring to their sex.

I can concede that many people do identify with their gender by their penis/vagina. I should have been more clear. Particularly when asking those who realize the difference between having a penis/vagina and their gender. The answer you point out "because I am" is basically what I am talking about. It is a feeling of association that may not have a explainable response. It seems that in many cases its very, for lack of a better word, basic.

As for the original question it seems to me that there clearly is a paradox in how we view gender. We simultaneously dismiss it as being merely a 'social construct' while at the same time holding the view that how an individual feels about this 'social construct' is important. It being considered highly offensive to refer to a trans woman as he is highly indicative of the fact that we view gender as something more important and less dismissible than a 'social construct'

It doesn't seem paradoxical at all. There are many things which are 'mere' social constructs that we place value on. Monetary systems, political views, race, moral standards, etc. Just because something is socially constructed does not preclude it from having value. The reason that many consider it highly offensive to refer to someone who is trans by a pronoun that they don't identify as is the same as it is considered rude to refer to anybody by the wrong pronoun. The point is to respect individual autonomy. So while gender is socially constructed it is no less a reality in modern society. Nobody escapes gender and I have found no good reason to not refer to someone by their desired pronouns or respect their decisions regarding their own gender.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending