The Student Room Group

Best way to revise for HIS3D British Monarchy: The Crisis of the State, 1642–1689?

Hey :smile:

Can anyone recommend how they revise for this exam please.

I seem to be spending more time working out how to revise than actually doing it!

Any help for this would be great!

(Also resitting the AQA AS module HIS1D - Britain, 1603-1642 so any help for this would be equally appreciated!)

Thank-you guys!

Scroll to see replies

I'm having the same problem! There's just so much content, it's quite overwhelming. Getrevising.com is a good website if you want to spend £5. Apart from that I'd split it into major events and focus on them individually, plus more general sections such as foreign policy, finance, religion, and the different parliaments.
Reply 2
Thank-you - I'll give it a shot. I'm just finding it difficult without a structured revision guide for the module! Not sure if you'd agree but the textbook just seems awful... There's not really clear sections to it.

We'll get through it though! :biggrin:
I’m having the same problem. I’m resitting this exam so I thought it would be easier, but in all honesty it’s actually getting worse. I don’t even understand the book. I found this website that’s quite helpful it has Q-cards that separate each topic, I also want to get used to the exam style technique. But it just doesn’t come to me. So if you anyone has any tips I would appreciate that.
Link- http://quizlet.com/subject/term%3Awar-english-civil-%3D-1642-1646/
Reply 4
does anyone have tips/techniques on how to get decent marks (at least 30+) in 45 markers?
Original post by viskove
does anyone have tips/techniques on how to get decent marks (at least 30+) in 45 markers?

State a point (make it general such as religion, rather than a specific point) give a wide range of evidence for your point (but keep it relevant!) and then explain the evidence and how that in some ways answers the question. Always make sure you go back to the question at the end of a paragraph and answer it- try and link your paragraphs as well to make your essay flow better.

I learned absolutely no historians and got an A in the exam, so they aren't necessary at all.

While essay technique is really important, what I think is really crucial at A2 is knowing the information inside out. There are so many questions they can set that you really need to be able to think on your feet and use the evidence you know. Essay plans are great for getting you in the mindset for how to approach a question in the exam, but at the end of the day its actually knowing the course that will make all the difference.
Reply 6
Brilliant, thank-you.

I really appreciate everybody's suggestions.

I'm getting there - I definitely think I need to plan more. I tend to panic and dive straight into them.
Reply 7
How are people doing with revision?
Reply 8
Does anyone have any good resources/websites for politics & religion during the interregnum - & everything post Charles II?
Reply 9
Are people ready for Monday?
Anyone have any predictions for Monday?
Since the 22nd May, I have done over 105 hours of revision and still this exam will be be tough. I also worked hard throughout the year. Predictions people? I hope exclusion comes up (45/45 in a mock essay), and maybe the 1649-1660 one
[QUOTE=Gazzaaa;56656605]Are people ready for Monday?

What did you get on your enquiry? I got 49/60 and so need 82/90 on this for A* got 189/200 UMS last year
Original post by jking2711
Anyone have any predictions for Monday?

Surely Exclusion? Or maybe James? But however I do believe it is unlikely more than one new question will be presented and, the 1649-1660 question is due itappearsappears
this is my hardest exam. I think the multiple kingdoms will come up or different religious toleration for the breadth. Probably james for a depth and then Danby or Lambert for another depth to do with ministers or military dictatorship? It's so hard to predict this. Been getting 32-38 on my mock questions, but i expect new things will appear :frown: NOT READY
These are my predictions:

- Restoration
- Royalist defeat in civil war
- a Exclusion Crisis
- Glorious Revolution
- Multiple-Kingdoms
- Religious Radicalism
Original post by Magnus Taylor
What did you get on your enquiry? I got 49/60 and so need 82/90 on this for A* got 189/200 UMS last year

We weren't told what we got as it was sent off for moderation but I got 186/200 last year and assuming I got an A for the enquiry, I can get a C in this and still come out with an A.
Original post by katiewhyte
this is my hardest exam. I think the multiple kingdoms will come up or different religious toleration for the breadth. Probably james for a depth and then Danby or Lambert for another depth to do with ministers or military dictatorship? It's so hard to predict this. Been getting 32-38 on my mock questions, but i expect new things will appear :frown: NOT READY

Just give it your all and what ever happens happens. Just out of interest how are you on historians?
[QUOTE=Gazzaaa;56682623]We weren't told what we got as it was sent off for moderation but I got 186/200 last year and assuming I got an A for the enquiry, I can get a C in this and still come out with an A.

Same but I want an A* so bad!!
[QUOTE=Gazzaaa;56682571]These are my predictions:

- Restoration
- Royalist defeat in civil war
- a Exclusion Crisis
- Glorious Revolution
- Multiple-Kingdoms
- Religious Radicalism

How would we structure a multiple kingdoms essays thematically? Would it be one paragraph on MK then religion finance and relations with parliament?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending