The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Monkey_Maiden
i currently work at savers (cheap chemists) they make us clean the toilets, mop etc. and work from 9-6 on saturdays
is this a fair pay for a 16 year old? how much does everyone get paid at their jobs?

I get £3.86 an hour, and anything up to 25 hours a week. Each month I get a 50% off voucher thing (it's a pub that serves meals sort of thing).
Reply 41
Fleff
I get £3.86 an hour, and anything up to 25 hours a week. Each month I get a 50% off voucher thing (it's a pub that serves meals sort of thing).

is it a whitbread pub/restaurant? my friend works for one, it's amazing the price our meal went down to once because of her discount :biggrin:
Reply 42
Monkey_Maiden
i currently work at savers (cheap chemists) they make us clean the toilets, mop etc. and work from 9-6 on saturdays
is this a fair pay for a 16 year old? how much does everyone get paid at their jobs?

£3.60 is fine for a 16 year old. if it is at a cheap chemists, then i think it is good. i know someone who gets £3 an hour.
depending on where you work, you may get paid more if thats is what yoy want. libraries are fantastic at paying. i work there 3 days a week and get £9.45 an hour (im 18) so thats always an option if you are not happy with the pay, or just work in a supermarket, but otherwise, £3.60 is great :smile:
Reply 43
i used to be on £3.50 in a newsagents. i was 18. yes it was illegal. yes i quit :biggrin:
priya
is it a whitbread pub/restaurant? my friend works for one, it's amazing the price our meal went down to once because of her discount :biggrin:

No, I don't think so... *asks mum*... She says it's part of "the spirit group" because that's what's on my uniform thing. But I was certain it was part of the "big steak" pubs... I'm not sure :confused:
Reply 45
it'll be a similar system anyway. i'd love to be a waitress. but i'd drop everything, i'm so damn clumsy. doubt i could cope with the pressure of a busy night either.
Reply 46
when 16 i got paid 4.65, now 18, i get paid 5.00 :O, not much of an increase :frown:
Reply 47
neha p
£3.60 is fine for a 16 year old. if it is at a cheap chemists, then i think it is good. i know someone who gets £3 an hour.
depending on where you work, you may get paid more if thats is what yoy want. libraries are fantastic at paying. i work there 3 days a week and get £9.45 an hour (im 18) so thats always an option if you are not happy with the pay, or just work in a supermarket, but otherwise, £3.60 is great :smile:

not all libraries........ depends on what borough.
i work as kitchen assistant in residential home, my wages just went up 30p, to 4.00 in week and 4.20 weekends. im 16 atm, 17 on the 24th.
Reply 49
I've been working in july/august this year for £6.50 ph in a bank, working 9-5, for at least 3 days a week (some weeks its more, when branches need extra staff). I *should* be able to go back there in other holidays as well, and hopefully get work on saturdays.
Im 18 and I work in the co-op for 4.66 an hour which aint that bad but you can get better. The only thing that pisses me off is the smelly elderly drunks that come in, and the fact that my uniform is too small (I started when i was 16 lol) and Im leaving for uni in a few weeks so it wouldnt be practical to get a new set lol. Tbh though, I get away with doing shit all most of the time and Ive made loads of friends there ... and I cant be bothered to go traipsing around banks looking for a better job. Might do when I get to uni though.

As for waiting on tables - I would be so shit at that, especially if it wasn't air conditioned. God - my worst nightmare.
Reply 51
yer the libraries near me dont pay well. I work at bigw (woolworths) for like £4.00 per hr. How much does every1 work termtime? Like at a levels, cos i dunno how much i can work then rlly.
Reply 52
andy_
yer the libraries near me dont pay well. I work at bigw (woolworths) for like £4.00 per hr. How much does every1 work termtime? Like at a levels, cos i dunno how much i can work then rlly.

some people i know manage 4 alevls and about 20 hours worth of work. it depends what u are able to cope with really. if you're waitressing/on the bar etc it's easier to do more hours because you do later hours. i could have managed about 15 hours with my work (clothing store) if i used my free periods wisely and didn't waste time on the net :rolleyes:
Reply 53
i'll be in a £10/hr job as a service manager at tesco in september :biggrin: *awaits the cash to roll in*
Reply 54
pinkegokane
i worked in wilkos for 8 months on £3.72 for 5 months and £4.01 for the last 3 months. now i work in debenhams restaurant where i get £3.70 an hour on saturdays and £5.20 on sundays. when i'm 18 (july) it'll go up to £4.80 or something like that.

Should've stayed in Wilko's. Pay is better than Debenhams and would've gone upto £5.02 when you're 18. Which is £10.04 an hour on Sundays :smile:
Talking of bad pay - I was a store supervisor for a multinational footwear retailer for part of my gapyear - responsible for a £2million turnover store and I was paid £4.65/hour at 19. Although saying that I used to do store visits to other stores in the region and could make £200 a week in expenses profits so it wasn't too bad!! :smile:
priya
i used to be on £3.50 in a newsagents. i was 18. yes it was illegal. yes i quit :biggrin:

a group of us used to work for our school and got paid £3.50 - even the 18-year-olds

i would have made a fuss but i was still 17 when the job ended.

its one thing fo a newsagents that (probably) isn't as official (if that makes sense..) as some jobs... but fior a school to pay you illegally..
amazingtrade
So do they sell chineese curries now at Smiths? I knew sales had dropped but I never thought they would diversify that much!

that's not even funny, because he wrote "wroking", not "woking"... or have i missed the point :confused:
Reply 58
I work 9 hours a week at a petrol station for £4.33ph. I did that as well as 4 AS levels last year and will continue to do that with 4 A2 levels this year.

Latest

Trending

Trending