The Student Room Group

Access to HE in Manchester College

Hello I'm new here and I was hoping that if any of you can help me that which Access course will be best for me. I wish to do Zoology or any Biology-Chemistry related subjects in University. I'd prefer to go to either Manchester University or MMU. I am hoping to do Access to Combined Sceince but the Access to Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences looks fine as they teach the same subjects. Which has a higher scope to enter wide range of University science courses and how difficult it to get D or M in Access courses?? :smile::smile::frown:
Original post by garchomp786
Hello I'm new here and I was hoping that if any of you can help me that which Access course will be best for me. I wish to do Zoology or any Biology-Chemistry related subjects in University. I'd prefer to go to either Manchester University or MMU. I am hoping to do Access to Combined Sceince but the Access to Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences looks fine as they teach the same subjects. Which has a higher scope to enter wide range of University science courses and how difficult it to get D or M in Access courses?? :smile::smile::frown:

It's important to look at the uni's websites to check what Access modules they want to see. For instance, UoM says
Overall 60 credits are required with 45 at Level 3. The Level 3 units must be made up of 15 credits in Biology with a Distinction grade, 15 credits in Chemistry with a Distinction grade and a further 15 credits with Distinction.

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2015/00663/zoology-3-years-bsc/entry-requirements/#alternativeEntryReq

Whereas MMU (for wildlife biology) is a bit less specific
Relevant Access to HE Diploma will be considered. 30 Level 3 credits at Merit grade.

Do your research, make sure that the Access to HE course you pick has modules that will satisfy entry requirements on all the courses you're interested in, and go from there.

However, it will look odd if you've elected to do a Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences course nd then you've very rapidly changed your pathway and decided to go for a life sciences course instead. For that reason, I'd err towards Combined Sciences, but it will depend on your personal preference and the actual modules taught within each course.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's important to look at the uni's websites to check what Access modules they want to see. For instance, UoM says

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2015/00663/zoology-3-years-bsc/entry-requirements/#alternativeEntryReq

Whereas MMU (for wildlife biology) is a bit less specific

Do your research, make sure that the Access to HE course you pick has modules that will satisfy entry requirements on all the courses you're interested in, and go from there.

However, it will look odd if you've elected to do a Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences course nd then you've very rapidly changed your pathway and decided to go for a life sciences course instead. For that reason, I'd err towards Combined Sciences, but it will depend on your personal preference and the actual modules taught within each course.

Thank you very much. TBH I have checked both the Universities but I was a bit nervous about the 2016 entry requirements, though I know about the 2015 ones. I have sent them messages but am not getting any reply so that's why I was hoping that which would be better. Yet again it all comes down to personal preference. Thanks again for the info though.:smile::smile:
Original post by garchomp786
Thank you very much. TBH I have checked both the Universities but I was a bit nervous about the 2016 entry requirements, though I know about the 2015 ones. I have sent them messages but am not getting any reply so that's why I was hoping that which would be better. Yet again it all comes down to personal preference. Thanks again for the info though.:smile::smile:

Hold tight with the emails - if it's been less than a couple of weeks then they're probably still getting back to you. For all we know life sciences is short staffed at the moment or something, and that's why they've been a bit slow on getting back to you.

You might find going along to an mature students session useful http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/mature-students/information-sessions-presentations-visits/
Reply 4
Im thinking of doing an access course in manchester college as well! as i live in London

Can i ask a question, would you use accommodation.

I really want help with accommodation if im planning to go to this college
Reply 5
Original post by O.Ozz
Im thinking of doing an access course in manchester college as well! as i live in London

Can i ask a question, would you use accommodation.

I really want help with accommodation if im planning to go to this college

Hello O.Ozz I'm sorry because I have been living here in MCR only for like 3 years so don't know much about accomodation. Though I can say the rents are wayyyyy cheaper or half that of London's, so that's the only thing I can assure you. The rest would be for you to check online. Though the college may provide you travel expenses and if you're caring for a child. But it's better to get in contact with someone you might know have any friends or relatives here. Sorry if I couldn't be much of help mate.
:confused:
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
Hold tight with the emails - if it's been less than a couple of weeks then they're probably still getting back to you. For all we know life sciences is short staffed at the moment or something, and that's why they've been a bit slow on getting back to you.

You might find going along to an mature students session useful http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/mature-students/information-sessions-presentations-visits/

HAHA thanks mate I got their reply back. Now I know why they were slow. Well thanks again for your help. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending