The Student Room Group

Nursing Bursary 2015 Scotland - How are you planning to manage?

Hi all,

I'm applying for nursing this year and just wondering what everyone's plans are to manage with the bursary. I'm obviously hoping to get accepted and trying to work out finances in the hope of receiving a place. I'm guessing most people, like myself will try and keep/ get a part time job?
Hi,

I'm a 3rd year student nurse... I don't study in Scotland, but if you are sensible with your money then financially life is perfectly manageable. It's about learning to control your ingoings and outgoings, and getting your priorities right with things you actually do and don't need. Some of my class spend crazy amounts of money on unnecessary stuff and then wonder why they're broke.

Also if you don't drive/have a car now, and feel you will be able to get to all your placements with just public transport (Your university should make allowances for this) then I would strongly advise not to get a car until you qualify. Many of the girls in my class have bought cars (Some unnecessarily - they were managing fine on public transport like me), and now they have very little money left for anything else. I don't wish to be rude about my class though - I love them to bits, but that's just the reality of their spending/finances in my honest opinion.

Bank or agency HCA work is perfectly feasible alongside study, so long as your placements aren't affected by working so many hours in a week, that you cannot provide the quality of care patients require - they have to be the priority. Nursing/midwifery are considered full-time courses, so universities are unlikely to endorse/encourage you getting a part time job or give you a reference. But the reality is some students do need that extra money.

I have a PT job with another department of the university, but I choose my hours so it works well for me.

I know you weren't necessarily asking for advice, and that this is now a looong message, but I really hope that helps.

Best Wishes
Joel :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice. It's really great to see that it can be done, I'm in accommodation that I know for sure I won't be able to afford should I get a place, so looking to move somewhere else and probably cut back on a lot of non essentials :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending