The Student Room Group

Stuck on fp3 vectors/planes problem

Can someone helped me with the attached question (part a)?

I've found the midpoint of p and p' (2, -1, -1) which the plane passes through (I think). The plane would be perpendicular to the vector PP' - but I'm stuck on how I'd find this normal vector using the cross product?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bobbricks
Can someone helped me with the attached question (part a)?

I've found the midpoint of p and p' (2, -1, -1) which the plane passes through (I think). The plane would be perpendicular to the vector PP' - but I'm stuck on how I'd find this normal vector using the cross product?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit puzzled by your question.

pp', the normal vector, is simply op - op', i.e. the difference of coordinates of the two points.

I don't see how or why you'd need to use the cross product to find this, or have I misunderstood what you're asking?
Reply 2
I was thinking the plane would be perpendicular to the vector PP'. So once I've found the vector PP', how do I use this to find the cartesian equation of the plane?
I was thinking the plane would be perpendicular to the vector PP'. So once I've found the vector PP', how do I use this to find the cartesian equation of the plane?

Let me ask you a different question.

If you had a plane ax+by+cy=d, say, can you tell me a normal vector for that plane?

PS: Quote if you want a reply - I'll usually see it sooner.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
Let me ask you a different question.

If you had a plane ax+by+cy=d, say, can you tell me a normal vector for that plane?

PS: Quote if you want a reply - I'll usually see it sooner.

r.n=a.n so n in this case would be n=(a b c )?
r.n=a.n so n in this case would be n=(a b c )?

Yes.

So reverse the process. You have a normal vector, hence you have possible values for a,b,c. You just need to work out d, and for that you know one point in the plane, that must satisfy its equation.
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker
Yes.

So reverse the process. You have a normal vector, hence you have possible values for a,b,c. You just need to work out d, and for that you know one point in the plane, that must satisfy its equation.

Thanks! Managed to get it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest