The Student Room Group

hey guys. Just a little A level question

Hey guys im a 16 year old year 11 student and i have recently came back from a 6 form open evening and wondering what subjects to consider for a level. I want my future job to involve some aspect of sport because thats what i love however maybe with a twist. I am thinking of being a physio or a sports lawyer but need to consider my options...

What a level choices would provide me with the best opputunitys to do a degree for one of these options...

I was thinking along the lines of P.E,Biology,Bussiness studies and an AS level in both statistics and pyscology...

My favorite subjects are P.E and busiiness studies and my highest predicted grade is an A* in bus studies. A worry is i need a high B in maths to do statistics and im predicted a B.(need to revise!!!)
Have i made a mistake, your advice would be appreciated and any aditional advice about a levels or degrees. I really need to consider my options carefully as they could affect my whole life

RossY D
Those subjects sound fine :smile: You might want to do 1 AS in Year 12 and 1 in Year 13 if that's possible or just choose one of them because 5 subjects would be a lot of work. That's not to say you couldn't cope with it if you enjoyed all the subjects and worked hard though.
Reply 2
nah mate. I would do statistics one year then pycohology the next. Five subjects would be too hard even though i love most my subjects however i hear biology is REALLY HARD

Another problem is i have a really bad relationship with my p.e teacher. I always miss booklet deadlines etc and he called me a sneaky waste of space infront of the whole class:mad: Im normally good but have an organization problem and he made me quite angry with him. I need a good refrence to do p.e however so im sure no missing dealines and working hard will make up for it...(also probly organize a meeting to apoligize for my lateness etc)

Sorry im asking loads of questions but you know i do have kinda big decisions to make:wink:
I've found biology relitivly hard so far. I would suggest doing Economics instead of Business Studies. There similar but economics has more maths and unis like it more. If you were ever thinking of going to a top uni then business studies (or anything with 'studies' in the name) is on the black list.
Reply 4
Happy_Holidays
I've found biology relitivly hard so far. I would suggest doing Economics instead of Business Studies. There similar but economics has more maths and unis like it more. If you were ever thinking of going to a top uni then business studies (or anything with 'studies' in the name) is on the black list.

Indeed, economics would be a better choice than business studies. Maths would be better than stats as well but if you don't enjoy maths or find it difficult then stick with stats.

And biology imo isn't as hard as some say, it's just a bit dull :p:
Reply 5
I could do the A level "Bus.s and economics", but i dunno bus studies is a cert for me to get a good grade and i dont want to make things harder for mself by doing a harder course.

Economics on its own isnt a choice:frown:
Reply 6
Unis know how easy it is and therefore it is not respected. Ive also heard AS Level is basically GCSE stuff so you may get bored by how easy it is.
Also if youre thinknig of law youre gonna need some more traditional a-levels
Reply 7
Multi_Eventer
I could do the A level "Bus.s and economics", but i dunno bus studies is a cert for me to get a good grade and i dont want to make things harder for mself by doing a harder course.

Economics on its own isnt a choice:frown:

Business studies and economics will probably be just business studies.

Have you considered doing something like english lit? It'll put you in good sted if you're considering law.
Multi_Eventer
Another problem is i have a really bad relationship with my p.e teacher. I always miss booklet deadlines etc and he called me a sneaky waste of space infront of the whole class:mad: Im normally good but have an organization problem and he made me quite angry with him. I need a good refrence to do p.e however so im sure no missing dealines and working hard will make up for it...(also probly organize a meeting to apoligize for my lateness etc)

Sorry im asking loads of questions but you know i do have kinda big decisions to make:wink:

:eek: That's so unprofessional! What you're planning on doing sounds like a good idea though. It sucks when you have to be nice to teachers you hate, let alone apologise to them, but you don't have to mean it and it's not worth jeapordising your future over it.
nayiseda
Unis know how easy it is and therefore it is not respected. Ive also heard AS Level is basically GCSE stuff so you may get bored by how easy it is.
Also if youre thinknig of law youre gonna need some more traditional a-levels

I've heard that as well actually. Apparently there's pretty much no gap at all between GCSE and AS, which is why unis don't respect it because A-levels are supposed to be much harder. When you said you want to go into sports law, do you know if there's a specific course you can do in that or would you have to do a standard law degree? If it's the latter, you will need some more traditional subjects because it's really competitive.
Reply 10
thats really helpful guys. err im defently sticking with p.e and biology and i enjoy bus.s so i'll probly do bus.s and economics(economics is respected and bus.s is what i enjoy and am good at) but the last slot, gonna have too think this one though
I wish i could do english but its not my strong point and i could stand a chance of failing.

Doesnt Phycoholgy go well with law and p,e?
Reply 11
Do PE, Bio, Business and statistics and then drop business in your second yr because then you will have 2 traditional and 1 non traditional at A2 which good law schools will accept.
Reply 12
Psychology doesnt go well with law ( as fair as i know) its better suited to subjects like sociology and biology.
Dont do 5 AS Levels unless youre coping comfortably with GCSEs. Since your only A* is in business studies, i wouldnt recommend doing 5 as levels its a lot of work.
If i were you i would do PE, Bio, Psychology and Statistics. Seriously, dont do business studies, especially if you're thinking about law
Reply 13
:dontknow: ok guys, your advice has really been appreciated, im sending it off tomorrow...

Choices are

1-P.E
2-Biology
3-Bus Studies and econmics(guys im a cert to get an A,gt no choice really)
4-Statistics

Also doing General studies(gt no choice:s-smilie: ) and a advance sports award as well as a athletics level one coaching qualification...

Should give me an alright CV when i apply for uni:wink:

Couldnt do english guys, i need a B in the school i applied for and my predicted grade was only a C:mad:

Thnaks for advice, much appreciated(glad i found this forum):smile:
Reply 14
:dontknow: ok guys, your advice has really been appreciated, im sending it off tomorrow...

Choices are

1-P.E
2-Biology
4-Statistics

Also doing General studies(gt no choice:s-smilie: ) and a advance sports award as well as a athletics level one coaching qualification...

Couldnt do english guys, i need a B in the school i applied for and my predicted grade was only a C:mad:

Reply 15

Choices are

1-P.E
2-Biology
4-Statistics

Reply 16
ok guys, your advice has really been appreciated, im sending it off tomorrow...

Choices are

1-P.E
2-Biology
3-Bus Studies and econmics(guys im a cert to get an A,gt no choice really):dontknow:
4-Statistics

Latest

Trending

Trending