The Student Room Group

short story ideas (as stupid as u like)

anyone got any short story ideas they dont mind me stealing?! xx
Original post by bad_username
anyone got any short story ideas they dont mind me stealing?! xx

How about doing a short story based on the a pet? For example, how about you go explore a friend or family's pet. Perhaps a cat and dog. Followed it round for a few hours. Jot down a few interesting things they do and how humans interact with them.

Then write a short story from the perspective of the animal and perhaps use the voice of a human or something but hint at things such as "I got on all fours to run faster, kicking my back legs" or something like. Or if you were describing a grey or rainy day, describe as a dog would see it - use colour metaphors for grey, white and black - monochrome or something. Then right at the end either reveal to the reader something like "But of course, I'm just a cat" or leave it ambiguous. So like throughout you can describe the way "as he petted me on my head, I lowered my head as if to gesture to do it more"... a child can do this, perhaps a baby but your audience wouldn't know. but it depends on the rest of the story.

I kind of like the idea of perhaps describing how a dog looks after a baby it's "grown up" with, from the perspective of the dog's side. For me that'd be fun to create!

I've always wanted to do this, but never got the chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending