The Student Room Group

How often are you told you are pretty?

So, in the interests of brevity, I shortened that question, but what I mean is, how often are you told by someone who doesn't owe you anything/a complete stranger that you are handsome/beautiful?

I ask this because, I am incredibly confused about my looks etc. I have been told I am beautiful/pretty a significant amount of times by people who definitely didn't need to. I have almost never (I say almost to avoid lying, but I cannot remember ever inviting that compliment) prompted that compliment, but i get it from all sorts of people.

I don't suffer from low self esteem, I actually feel I'm more confident in myself than most girls my age (seventeen) especially considering how tall I am for a girl (5"11) and how skinny I am and have always been as a child, too.
As a girl, being this tall is weird, and off putting, and I used to be so self conscious and dislike being that tall and skinny.
But still, I'm almost certain that I haven't got a warped view of myself. To be truthful, I feel I can clean up nicely, and sometimes when I look nice in photos, I think I'm averagely pretty, but only from certain angles.

So when I get compliments like "When I first saw you, I thought you were a model. You are so pretty I assumed you were a bitch and wouldn't talk to me. etc etc etc" and other compliments that I know are genuine (the people that told me them aren't the type of people to say something in a mean way) but sound so incredibly exaggerated, like "You're so gorgeous!" in a conversation that was until then about something completely different.

I have been in a weird amount of situations where I go to a house party and people I've never met/wasn't close to (mostly girls) have come up to me to tell me how pretty I am etc. Once at a party, a girl I used to be really close to but never really speak to anymore and her best friend who were maybe a little tipsy literally spent (I think!) half an hour telling me how much they'd idolised me when they saw me around and always wanted to be friends with me because I was so pretty. The same things from strangers like old ladies on the bus, randomly on the street, at an event, etc.

I genuinely don't believe I deserve even a fraction of the compliments I've received. Honestly. I know so many gorgeous, stunning girls who to my knowledge haven't received as many compliments as I have. -- Or maybe they have; that's why I wanted to make this thread. I'm so confused, so can anyone relate? Is this normal?

I'm honestly asking this, I'm not a troll, just a girl who is incredibly confused.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Subtle brag thread is not subtle.

Never.
Been told I'm pretty good at quickscoping, but they're just saying that :frown:
Get told it relatively often.
Nobody cares
Reply 6
I'm pretty hot. Some people can see it, some people can't. I feel for the latter as they're missing out.

In all seriousness, guys don't usually tell me I'm pretty. They just approach me if they're interested. Although a few times complete strangers came up to me, just randomly on the streets to tell em I'm pretty. They were much older guys, though.

In terms of girls... it's not really a daily thing. Sometimes compliments come out when we're getting ready to go out and such.

If you don't have self esteem issues, don't worry about this.
You must be pretty to receive that many compliments :smile:

To answer your question I have only ever been called pretty by a stranger once. He said I was '****ing beautiful' and then said 'can i **** with you' so clearly there was no ulterior motive to his compliment
Reply 8
Dbi.
Pics or it didn't happen
Original post by Amelie-Poulain
I genuinely don't believe I deserve even a fraction of the compliments I've received. Honestly.

This is me.

Not really told I'm pretty that often except by my bf lol but I've been told a few times recently that I have a 'lovely' smile. If I remember correctly, one person said hearing my laugh made them happy which made me soooo happy to know I'd made them happy! But yeah other than that, my nickname from my ex-Physics teacher was 'the smiley one'. :lol:

So much of the word happy in that, it doesn't even look like a word anymore..
Constantly. It's so irritating when insignificant street peasants think they can come up to me and talk to me as though I were one of them. Admire my beauty from afar all you like but, for the love of God, don't think it's okay for you to just start speaking to me. Ew!
You don't, and that's fine. But you're not everybody :smile:
Original post by Olympiad
Nobody cares
Reply 13
Original post by jenigma
This is me.

Not really told I'm pretty that often except by my bf lol but I've been told a few times recently that I have a 'lovely' smile. If I remember correctly, one person said hearing my laugh made them happy which made me soooo happy to know I'd made them happy! But yeah other than that, my nickname from my ex-Physics teacher was 'the smiley one'. :lol:

So much of the word happy in that, it doesn't even look like a word anymore..

You'll be happier to find out this is a typical psychological response.
Original post by Magistl
You'll be happier to find out this is a typical psychological response.

That definitely explains why I don't take any compliments seriously lmao
Reply 15
Original post by jenigma
That definitely explains why I don't take any compliments seriously lmao

I'm willing to wager there's more to it :wink: but I shan't start making predictions incase I offend :tongue:
This isn't an attempt at bragging. Pretty sure if a lot of people were telling you you were bad at something when you considered yourself to be quite good at it you'd get pretty confused as to whether what you thought was actually true or not. So why can't it happen the other way around?
I don't actually like talking about myself at all, and even if I did, I can't ask anyone else this; my friends and family would only say I was, regardless of the truth, and other people I know would either pay me false compliments or assume I was vain/bragging, which I emphatically am not. I'm just truly confused.

Original post by Arkasia
Subtle brag thread is not subtle.

Never.
Original post by somemightsay888
Been told I'm pretty good at quickscoping, but they're just saying that :frown:

I think you're pretty good at quickscoping, too :wink:
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS

Holy ****, wasn't that multi-paragraph post enough??
Original post by catsis
I'm pretty hot. Some people can see it, some people can't. I feel for the latter as they're missing out.

In all seriousness, guys don't usually tell me I'm pretty. They just approach me if they're interested. Although a few times complete strangers came up to me, just randomly on the streets to tell em I'm pretty. They were much older guys, though.

In terms of girls... it's not really a daily thing. Sometimes compliments come out when we're getting ready to go out and such.

If you don't have self esteem issues, don't worry about this.

It seems like you are, then :smile: I'm not worried, but it has been on my mind probably too much haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest