The Student Room Group

Correction/Help - Homework France

Hii! I'm from france, so forgive my mistakes!!

If you have the possibility to correct and formulate better my text for the english course of tomorrow, it will be very kind!!

Here it is:
Thispainting made by Jean M B: JIM CROW, is a way to denounce segregation. In fact,at that time America was separated in two parts: The South wheresegregated people live, and the north which is free.
Inthe center is a black skeletal figure who stands below an arch and asign labeled JIM CROW. Jim crow is a racist word which refers to allBlacks, it represent a set of laws which were enforced from 6o's to90's.
Thebody is draw with lines which represent the ribs
Themain colours are blue and red, which refers in one hand to hope forblue and on the other hand to blood for red.
Thereare various rivers listed like: HUDSON river and in particular Thamesriver, to remind people that UK is quite responsible of the actualsituation of America; but the most repeated is MISSISSIPPI. Because,Mississippi river cross the south and the north , it's a way toescape for south people in order to get a better life.
Theallusion to the American South is solidified by these multiplesymbols.

On top of that
must analyse this speech made by Malcol X for tomorrow (roughly 10 lines).

Here are the questions:
-Who is MalcolmX talking to? What about?
-What historical event does he refer to?
-What problem are African-Americans confonted with today? What do they want?
-What do they need to reach their goal?

Here is the text:
We are Africans, and we happen to be in America. We are not Americans. We are a people who formerly were Africans who were kidnaped and brought to America. Our forefathers weren't the Pilgrims. We didn't land on Plymouth Rock; the rock was landed on us. We were brought here against our will; we were not brought here to be made citizens. We were not brought here to enjoy the constitutional gifts that they speak so beautifully about today.
Because we weren't brought here to be made citizens--today, now that we've become awakened to some degree, and we begin to ask for those things which they say are supposedly for all Americans, they look upon us with a hostility and unfriendliness. If you're interested in freedom, you need some judo, you need some karate, you need all the things that will help you fight for freedom. Nationalism is the wave of the present and the future. It is nationalism that's bringing freedom to oppressed people all over the world! You don't need a debate! You don't need a filibuster! You need some action.

I don't understand the text (I'm from France), and I didn't manage to answer the questions!

Please help!
It's for tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending