The Student Room Group

CompSci at Durham - I haven't used a computer in two years

I got an email today from UCAS. I had applied for the MMath course at Durham, but unfortunately I wasn't successful. However, they "liked [my] application" so they have offered me a place on their MEng course for Computer Science instead.

Now. I haven't touched a computer since GCSE; I'm a real maths fan (doing Maths, Further Maths, Further Additional Maths, Physics and Business A level). My questions are: will I integrate (excuse the pun) well into a CompSci course, and, how much maths is there in a CompSci course?

My first reaction to this offer was something along the lines of "'flip' you, you 'bar-stools'!". But now I've looked at the course after calming down, it does seem quite interesting.

Any thoughts or past experiences would be very appreciated! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KaptainCliff
I got an email today from UCAS. I had applied for the MMath course at Durham, but unfortunately I wasn't successful. However, they "liked [my] application" so they have offered me a place on their MEng course for Computer Science instead.

Now. I haven't touched a computer since GCSE; I'm a real maths fan (doing Maths, Further Maths, Further Additional Maths, Physics and Business A level). My questions are: will I integrate (excuse the pun) well into a CompSci course, and, how much maths is there in a CompSci course?

My first reaction to this offer was something along the lines of "'flip' you, you 'bar-stools'!". But now I've looked at the course after calming down, it does seem quite interesting.

Any thoughts or past experiences would be very appreciated! :smile:

CompSci derives from Maths so it should be fairly Mathsy - especially at Durham.

That said, the Maths is different and probably unlike anything you've seen at A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
CompSci is literally a branch of Maths. The whole subject was born out of university Maths departments in the mid 50s. It's a branch of Maths that deals with how information is stored, processed and manipulated. Computers are the most common method of data storage we use today and CompSci uses computers as a tool to understand mathematics and technology. Computers are to CompSci what telescopes are to Astronomy.

That being said, I'd recommend you get using a computer asap; learn some basic code, learn your binary tables and how a computer stores and processes information and familiarise yourself with common computing concepts (like networks, memory, hardware functions etc), because that's the context in which you're going to being learning.

Also, a computer isn't necessarily a desktop or laptop. If you've used your phone, driven your car or used a microwave in the last 2 years, you've used some form of computer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending