The Student Room Group

Is it racist to say the N-word?

If a black person says it, it's perfectly fine, but if any other individual was to say this word, they'd be deemed a "racist." The N-word is sensationalised by modern day hiphop/rap artists, and is commonly used in the majority of songs in this genre. I would never ever use the term in derogatory manner, but I do, however, use it when reciting the lyrics of a song which includes this word, or when engaging in friendly badinage with my friends. Is this wrong? Am I a racist?
It depends. Do you have a hood pass?

Spoiler

Reply 2
No it's not racist. Niggaz With Attitude is one of my favourite rap groups so I can't be racist. When we say "n****", it's not the n**** that we have grown to fear. It's not the "n****" that we say as if it has no meaning, but to me...it means Never Ignorant, Gettin Goals Accomplished, N.I.G.G.A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Pakis call each other Paki but apparently if anyone says it it's offensive..
Reply 4
Whether black people say it or not doesn't make it right. It was created as a derogatory term for black people. Therefore we should not use it.
Reply 5
Original post by Cutty
No it's not racist. Niggaz With Attitude is one of my favourite rap groups so I can't be racist. When we say "n****", it's not the n**** that we have grown to fear. It's not the "n****" that we say as if it has no meaning, but to me...it means Never Ignorant, Gettin Goals Accomplished, N.I.G.G.A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yes!! Can't wait for the new film about them!
Original post by binarythoughts

If Paki is a racist remark then so is Brit.
Reply 7
Original post by binarythoughts

This term I really don't understand. Ok, then N-word, if used in derogatory manner, has allusions to the slave trade. However, Paki, is just an abbreviation. Surely, it's the same as calling a British person a Brit? Apparently not, according to some of the Pakis in my school.
Original post by MrBowcat
This term I really don't understand. Ok, then N-word, if used in derogatory manner, has allusions to the slave trade. However, Paki, is just an abbreviation. Surely, it's the same as calling a British person a Brit? Apparently not, according to some of the Pakis in my school.

I don't take offense when I'm called that, but yeah some Pakis ( see I can say that because I'm paki:biggrin:) do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending