The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

business at bournemouth

i have just put BU as my firm choice and am planning on studying business and want to live at dorchester. just wandering if anyone is already doing business and can tell me what its like. also about dorchester, if its a good accommodation choice and as well when can you apply for the accommodation because i want to get in there as quick as i can.
Reply 1
Hi, I'm doing BA (Hons) Business Studies. In second year, currently. This is the honest truth about the course. Yeah, it's a good course to do. Great university to study at, and some of the staff you'll have are so knowledgeable. The issue is with some individual units. In your first year there is a unit called Accounting and quantitative analysis, the organisation of which is completely pathetic. You can expect to have your lectures delivered by one person, and a totally different person doing the seminars. Most units, it's the one person who does lectures and seminars. The problem is it all feels a bit dis-jointed, both staff and not sure what the other has covered. The impressions I've got over my 2 years is that accounting is a department which is very poorly organised and managed.
Overall the other units will be ok - however be prepared for some hard work. Honestly, the course is not challenging, it's a good course if you are a bit unsure what you want to do in the future and what career path you want to take. Your options will be open. Technical stuff you could well get stuck on, e.g. maths, academic writing - but the university does offer good support around these areas.

At the end of the day, would I recommend this course the answer is yes. There is a bigger issue however, which is it is a bit hard to justify the £9,000 tuition fee against what is received as a student. I look back and think maybe other options, I could have done rather than university. I'm am not trying to put you off university in any way. The personal experience you will take away is the most valuable thing. The first year is very exciting, goes by so fast(!), and you will enjoy it. If you want to go to university, Bournemouth is a very good place to be. The accommodation is great, as is the local area. As for applying, in your application, I think you had to say if you wanted accommodation or not, (and I guess you said yes?). Next you have to wait for your results to come through. On results day, you'll receive an email for the Uni to congratulate you on securing a place. In that email you have links to apply for accommodation etc.

I hope I have managed to help you some what with my thoughts, your welcome to contact me again for any more advice :-)
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Original post by abiharris
i have just put BU as my firm choice and am planning on studying business and want to live at dorchester. just wandering if anyone is already doing business and can tell me what its like. also about dorchester, if its a good accommodation choice and as well when can you apply for the accommodation because i want to get in there as quick as i can.

Hi Abiharris,

I sent you a private message more about Dorchester! But if you or anyone else had anymore questions about Bournemouth or Dorchester just give me a message :biggrin:

Also in terms of when you can apply Bournemouth are currently awaiting news on when the portal will be open but once this is available you will get an email with more details :smile:

Gemma :biggrin:
Reply 3
I appreciate the response thank you, this has helped me a lot!

Original post by ryanhhh1
Hi, I'm doing BA (Hons) Business Studies. In second year, currently. This is the honest truth about the course. Yeah, it's a good course to do. Great university to study at, and some of the staff you'll have are so knowledgeable. The issue is with some individual units. In your first year there is a unit called Accounting and quantitative analysis, the organisation of which is completely pathetic. You can expect to have your lectures delivered by one person, and a totally different person doing the seminars. Most units, it's the one person who does lectures and seminars. The problem is it all feels a bit dis-jointed, both staff and not sure what the other has covered. The impressions I've got over my 2 years is that accounting is a department which is very poorly organised and managed.
Overall the other units will be ok - however be prepared for some hard work. Honestly, the course is not challenging, it's a good course if you are a bit unsure what you want to do in the future and what career path you want to take. Your options will be open. Technical stuff you could well get stuck on, e.g. maths, academic writing - but the university does offer good support around these areas.

At the end of the day, would I recommend this course the answer is yes. There is a bigger issue however, which is it is a bit hard to justify the £9,000 tuition fee against what is received as a student. I look back and think maybe other options, I could have done rather than university. I'm am not trying to put you off university in any way. The personal experience you will take away is the most valuable thing. The first year is very exciting, goes by so fast(!), and you will enjoy it. If you want to go to university, Bournemouth is a very good place to be. The accommodation is great, as is the local area. As for applying, in your application, I think you had to say if you wanted accommodation or not, (and I guess you said yes?). Next you have to wait for your results to come through. On results day, you'll receive an email for the Uni to congratulate you on securing a place. In that email you have links to apply for accommodation etc.

I hope I have managed to help you some what with my thoughts, your welcome to contact me again for any more advice :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending