The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkasia
Go back to Reddit or 9gag OP, somewhere where everyone just jerks off to their 'nostalgia'. You miss it because you only remember the good times, not the bad. No tweeting? Well that's because the internet was horrifically bad, and the most advanced phones could just about run Snake. No Justin Bieber? We still had our fair share of awful music.

Life is better now than it was, and I am sure all of the '00's kids' will be looking back in 10 years saying "I miss those years".

Nah, 90s childhood>early adulthood in the 10s :tongue:

But yes you are right from.a quality of adult life perspective...stop killing our circle jerk! :colonhash:
Partly. I don't miss dialup Internet.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
To be honest, I think every generation seems to have that idea. The harsh truth is there's very little difference between an 80s Teen and a 90s Teen. We just like to think we're spechul.

I can genuinely remember people from the 90s and early naughties lamenting how rubbish music was nowadays and how hard it was for them. I'm amused that it's happening again, feel free to join me when in 10 years you see people saying it about this time period.

90s music was mostly crap, I liked Noughties music :tongue:

Also Clueless fair enough except

A) disclaimer.'until.late adolescence'

B) suspension of disbelief (Beverly Hills?) as opposed to the 24/7 reminder provided by social media that your classmate Kerry is doing something more fun with more friends

Of course high school, people would.always try and compete for the best life, and there were bullies and snobs as there always will be. But you could.go.home and if you had decent parents (? Perhaps.I was just lucky) they would.not inflict you with this Keeping up with the Joneses, you could.tune.out. not so now

And finally re: life hardship, yes OF COURSE life felt easier in late 90s/early 00s, I was no more than 12 years old :tongue:
Reply 63
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
In for 40s bomb shelter kids thread o_o

That made me chuckle; I'll rep it next time Im on the site.

Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
To be honest, I think every generation seems to have that idea. The harsh truth is there's very little difference between an 80s Teen and a 90s Teen. We just like to think we're spechul.

I can genuinely remember people from the 90s and early naughties lamenting how rubbish music was nowadays and how hard it was for them. I'm amused that it's happening again, feel free to join me when in 10 years you see people saying it about this time period.

I remember a similar thread to this a couple of months ago. One poster was complaining that kids these days are too absorbed in technology and back in their day kids spent their days playing outside climbing trees etc. My grandmother used to say pretty much the same thing about her childhood in the 30s when I was a kid in the 90s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Born in 1996, and I do feel a bit nostalgic for the (very) late 90s onwards. I get nostalgic when I think all the way back to that time. Listening to music from that time makes me nostalgic as well, I've got a lot of songs on my phone from that time period.
Yes, I do!
Reply 66
Original post by gemmam
I also at the time you'd have people (some born 1985 onwards) going on about being an 80s kid and saying how things were better back then. I'm guessing in the 80s you'd get people saying the same about the 70s etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always find this ridiculous. I mean, I was born in 84 and my only connection to 80s culture was watching kids tv. I still consider the eighties as my mum's era and my heyday as being the early noughties.

But its true about this whole decade nostalgia thing. I like the film midnight in paris which is essentially a take on that; the modern day parisian wants to go back to the roaring twenties, the twenties parisians want to go back to the belle epoche etc.
I miss not knowing what your friends are doing every second of the day and instead meeting up to find out.
90s music was mostly crap, I liked Noughties music :tongue:

Innit, there was a load of **** 90's music.

Steps :biggrin:
Backstreet Boys :biggrin:
Aqua :biggrin:
Vengaboys :biggrin:
Britney Spears :biggrin:
Oasis :biggrin:

There was a lot of excellent Hip-Hop and Dance/Trip Hop but I doubt that's what people mean when they say 90's music was good.
Original post by Ebony19
I miss not knowing what your friends are doing every second of the day and instead meeting up to find out.

this, social media has made me so needy
this, social media has made me so needy
It makes me feel insecure. And bowing out of it isn't much better you just feel like a bit of an outcast/weirdo
Reply 71
Original post by Jay84
I always find this ridiculous. I mean, I was born in 84 and my only connection to 80s culture was watching kids tv. I still consider the eighties as my mum's era and my heyday as being the early noughties.

But its true about this whole decade nostalgia thing. I like the film midnight in paris which is essentially a take on that; the modern day parisian wants to go back to the roaring twenties, the twenties parisians want to go back to the belle epoche etc.

I was born in 1985 and I barely remember anything about late 80s apart from music (because of my older sister) and repeats of TV shows from then so I don't consider myself an 80s kid.
Reply 72
[video="youtube;-TGj227OVKY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TGj227OVKY[/video]
Original post by Wilfred Little
Innit, there was a load of **** 90's music.

Steps :biggrin:
Backstreet Boys :biggrin:
Aqua :biggrin:
Vengaboys :biggrin:
Britney Spears :biggrin:
Oasis :biggrin:

There was a lot of excellent Hip-Hop and Dance/Trip Hop but I doubt that's what people mean when they say 90's music was good.

Pffft Oasis was an exception. Don't put them in the same list as those other **** bands you mentioned.
To sum up this argument that has been going on for thousands of years("things were better back then")

Growing up sucks. I miss my childhood and early teens too.
Original post by Strawberry68
I miss S Club 7 if that counts.

There is still good music today. You just have to find it.

I miss CITV (I think that was the name of the show).
Reply 76
Despite being born in 1997, I have loads of memories of the late 90s/early 2000s! I love the cheesy music (can't beat some Steps), TV programmes, GAMEBOY, PLAYSTATION 1, videos (VHS) and just the atmosphere really wherever you went. I used to go to Blackpool all the time and it was just amazing! Whereas now, music nowadays is garbage with just the same tune throughout, pointless or no lyrics at all, most reality and entertainment programmes are awful as well. I do wish I grew up in that time frame rather than now tbh.
Original post by Y2J97
Despite being born in 1997, I have loads of memories of the late 90s/early 2000s! I love the cheesy music (can't beat some Steps), TV programmes, GAMEBOY, PLAYSTATION 1, videos (VHS) and just the atmosphere really wherever you went. I used to go to Blackpool all the time and it was just amazing! Whereas now, music nowadays is garbage with just the same tune throughout, pointless or no lyrics at all, most reality and entertainment programmes are awful as well. I do wish I grew up in that time frame rather than now tbh.

Most of the culture(T.VShows, music) of the 90s dragged onto the 2000s all the way up to 2009. That's why you feel you remember so much. I disagree about tv programmes, as with GOT, breaking bad, true detective, house of cards etc. One could make a stronger argument that tv of today is superior.
Reply 78
Original post by Jibola240
Most of the culture(T.VShows, music) of the 90s dragged onto the 2000s all the way up to 2009. That's why you feel you remember so much. I disagree about tv programmes, as with GOT, breaking bad, true detective, house of cards etc. One could make a stronger argument that tv of today is superior.

Those series' you mentioned I totally agree with - they are fantastic and I would say they are the best since back in the day!
Original post by Jibola240

Got alone makes tv great. Yeah I think every thing started to change at around 2007 tbh with smartphones being introduced and the spread of the internet to the majority of people's homes.

Latest