The Student Room Group

If Tasers were legal would you buy one?

Title.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope, too many stories out of the US of kids accidentally shooting their parents. Tasers can be lethal.
Maybe if it was cheap, but I don't live in a very dangerous area and I don't think a taser has the same recreational potential of a gun.
Reply 3
No. It would encourage violence and other crimes.
Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.
Original post by aoxa
No. It would encourage violence and other crimes.

You mean you personally owning a taser would do that?
Reply 6
Original post by BitWindy
You mean you personally owning a taser would do that?

Not myself personally, because I wouldn't wish to own one. However, there are people that would use tasers to commit crimes.
Original post by aoxa
Not myself personally, because I wouldn't wish to own one. However, there are people that would use tasers to commit crimes.

Oh, I was confused because that wasn't what the question was asking.

But still, one should consider the potential for crime prevention.
Nah. I wouldn't use it. If I was attacked I'd hope I'd be able to handle myself without the need of a taser. I don't live in a very dangerous area at all anyway, so it'd be useless.
They are legal to own in the state I live. I live in a very safe area so don't see the point but my wife and I have discussed getting one when we move depending on where we end up. They're very expensive though.

(I still think a gun would be a better option but she's all "no ****ing way" :hmpf: )
Reply 10
Oh, I was confused because that wasn't what the question was asking.

But still, one should consider the potential for crime prevention.

Look at the US - people buy guns to feel safe from people with guns. It just doesn't work - this is why buying tasers for crime prevention won't work.

If someone were to buy a taser, and let's say, rob a shop, the person who is being robbed would have no chance - even if they did have a taser to protect themselves as the robber would just taser the victim before the victim had a chance to do anything.
Original post by Sabertooth
They are legal to own in the state I live. I live in a very safe area so don't see the point but my wife and I have discussed getting one when we move depending on where we end up. They're very expensive though.

(I still think a gun would be a better option but she's all "no ****ing way" :hmpf: )

How much are they, like an X26? And what's the difference between a Taser and Stun Gun?
Original post by aoxa
Look at the US - people buy guns to feel safe from people with guns. It just doesn't work - this is why buying tasers for crime prevention won't work.

If someone were to buy a taser, and let's say, rob a shop, the person who is being robbed would have no chance - even if they did have a taser to protect themselves as the robber would just taser the victim before the victim had a chance to do anything.

It doesn't work? What do you mean? Buying a weapon grants an individual greater force for an assailant to reckon with. This can both prevent crime and end crimes in process.

Your hypothetical situation does not occur in all similar situations. There are many shop owners who have protected themselves successfully with guns, and I'm sure tasers would be the same.
I would definitely get one,no hesitation whatsoever
Original post by Silver Arrow
How much are they, like an X26? And what's the difference between a Taser and Stun Gun?

The ones I looked at were over $1000. :eek:

A stun gun requires direct contact with the person, whereas a taser can be fired from several feet away.
Reply 15
It doesn't work? What do you mean? Buying a weapon grants an individual greater force for an assailant to reckon with. This can both prevent crime and end crimes in process.

Your hypothetical situation does not occur in all similar situations. There are many shop owners who have protected themselves successfully with guns, and I'm sure tasers would be the same.

I'm saying that the mentality of 'getting a gun/taser to protect yourself against other people with guns/tasers' doesn't work. All you're doing is putting more weapons into the system, which, in turn will inevitably lead to more crime.

My point is that people shouldn't have to protect themselves with tasers/guns - they should be able to go around their daily life, with being suspicious of those around them - thinking that they met need a taser, so that they can protect themselves from other people who might wish them harm who might also have a taser. This in the end, will only to more violence. Why should something that essentially encourages violence and crime be encouraged?
Original post by aoxa
I'm saying that the mentality of 'getting a gun/taser to protect yourself against other people with guns/tasers' doesn't work. All you're doing is putting more weapons into the system, which, in turn will inevitably lead to more crime.

My point is that people shouldn't have to protect themselves with tasers/guns - they should be able to go around their daily life, with being suspicious of those around them - thinking that they met need a taser, so that they can protect themselves from other people who might wish them harm who might also have a taser. This in the end, will only to more violence. Why should something that essentially encourages violence and crime be encouraged?

So how do you suppose people should defend themselves if they are confronted with an attacker?
Reply 17
Original post by DiddyDec
So how do you suppose people should defend themselves if they are confronted with an attacker?

It depends on what the attacker is armed with.

If an attacker has a taser, giving the potential victim a taser will not protect either party.
Reply 18
No, it's too weak, too tame, too boring. If it doesn't shoot hollow points I don't want it. Need a forty five or Desert Eagle or something decent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aoxa
It depends on what the attacker is armed with.

If an attacker has a taser, giving the potential victim a taser will not protect either party.

A knife? A hammer? An axe?

Quick Reply

Latest