The Student Room Group

Too Late for LNAT?

Hi guys,

I feel like a bit of a muppet.

I was applying to just a couple of uni's (because to be honest I couldnt envisage myself going to a 3rd/4th choice etc). Neither of them needed LNAT.

Anyway, while in track I added a couple of other Uni's (sort of just out of curiosity), which didnt need LNAT, as there was/is no point paying to do it, if I am not too bothered about going to any LNAT uni's.

However, one of the uni's I added was KCL, for some reason I completely overlooked the requirement of LNAT in their entry procedure.

Anyway, to cut a long story short...Say I have now decided I actually quite like the look of KCL, am I still in time to go and take the LNAT? Will they still get the results?

Cheers
Reply 1
Absolutely! You have until January, I think. Check out www.lnat.ac.uk for more information.
LNAT website
Deadlines for applications to other LNAT universities if you want to guarantee that your application will be considered:
Register and book an LNAT test slot by 15 January 2007
Submit UCAS form by 15 January 2007
Sit the LNAT by 20 January 2007

Making late applications to other LNAT universities:
Register and book an LNAT test slot by 25 June 2007
Submit UCAS form between 16 January and 30 June 2007
Sit the LNAT by 30 June 2007

Applicants not applying to Oxford or Cambridge are strongly advised to meet the January deadlines if possible. Under UCAS rules universities are permitted but not required to consider late applications. If you are thinking of making a late application please check with the universities concerned to make sure they are still considering applications

Hopefully that should help, the LNAT website is pretty helpful in itself!
Reply 3
Quality...I have read that LNAT is pretty much aptitudinal, but conversely, have seen several preparation books available. Does it really need much revision?
Reply 4
superdillon
Originally Posted by LNAT website
Deadlines for applications to other LNAT universities if you want to guarantee that your application will be considered:
Register and book an LNAT test slot by 15 January 2007
Submit UCAS form by 15 January 2007
Sit the LNAT by 20 January 2007

Making late applications to other LNAT universities:
Register and book an LNAT test slot by 25 June 2007
Submit UCAS form between 16 January and 30 June 2007
Sit the LNAT by 30 June 2007

Applicants not applying to Oxford or Cambridge are strongly advised to meet the January deadlines if possible. Under UCAS rules universities are permitted but not required to consider late applications. If you are thinking of making a late application please check with the universities concerned to make sure they are still considering applications
King's College London states: For admissions for September 2006 onwards, we require applicants to take the LNAT by the 15th January after which, your application will be considered late.

I'd advise you to book it as soon as possible and select a date before the above deadline. Good luck.

As for your other query, check out the LNAT thread. Your questions should be answered there. :wink:
hingus2000
Quality...I have read that LNAT is pretty much aptitudinal, but conversely, have seen several preparation books available. Does it really need much revision?

Thats really a question that only you can answer. Do the practice test on the site. See how you do. Based on the mark that you get, you should be able to gauge how much more work you need to do on it.

Buying LNAT books is a useful way of getting extra practice tests. But the similarity between those tests and the actual LNAT test has often been questioned on TSR. Some say they are harder others that it is easier. The books usually also contain a few useful chapters on how to answer the different LNAT questions if that is something that you think you need.
Reply 6
hingus2000

I bought a couple of books and did the practice tests but in all honestly I don't think it helped at all. The questions I had on the actual LNAT exam were much harder and quite different from the sample questions available in the preparation guides. If I could turn back time and run through the preparation period again all I would have done is the sample test on the LNAT website. I felt like I wasted my time trying to "revise" for it.
Reply 7
superdillon
Thats really a question that only you can answer. Do the practice test on the site. See how you do. Based on the mark that you get, you should be able to gauge how much more work you need to do on it.

Buying LNAT books is a useful way of getting extra practice tests. But the similarity between those tests and the actual LNAT test has often been questioned on TSR. Some say they are harder others that it is easier. The books usually also contain a few useful chapters on how to answer the different LNAT questions if that is something that you think you need.

Cheers for the advice mate, Ill do the practice test.

The other factor I have to consider is that is it worth the fee, based on the fact that KCL would by no means necessarily be my first choice. Thats even assuming I get an offer - I sort of couldn't be arsed with my 4th AS last year, so only had 3A's to show them (they really specify a 4th B at least).
I should also add that the actual LNAT practice test (on the LNAT website) has questions taken from previous year's papers and consequently it is the source most indicative of what your actual LNAT test is going to be like.

You should familiarise your self with the different common types of questions.
You can also think ahead on how you think you will answer the questions when in the exam room and try to use that texchnique between now and then. So you need to decide whether you are going to read the questions before you read the extract and/or whether you are going to try and answer the question before looking at the possible answers. Both these tips and many more are likely to be found on the LNAT website...like I said before it is very helpful (unsurprisingly).
Reply 9
superdillon
I should also add that the actual LNAT practice test (on the LNAT website) has questions taken from previous year's papers and consequently it is the source most indicative of what your actual LNAT test is going to be like.

You should familiarise your self with the different common types of questions.
You can also think ahead on how you think you will answer the questions when in the exam room and try to use that texchnique between now and then. So you need to decide whether you are going to read the questions before you read the extract and/or whether you are going to try and answer the question before looking at the possible answers. Both these tips and many more are likely to be found on the LNAT website...like I said before it is very helpful (unsurprisingly).

Ive downloaded last year's test as an .exe file from the LNAT website.

Problem being its the whole 2 hour paper....Does it give you a score at the end (i'm assuming the computer will have difficulty marking my essay answer)?
When I set the LNAT it was a paper administered test so I can't help you on the first point. However, if I remember correctly other people on TSR have had problems and so I suggest that you keep a note of what the answers are. Also I would advise that you sit the test on your computer rather than printing it off as that would be good practice for the actual exam conditions that you will be in.

I don't think that your essay will be marked! You could give it to somebody else and ask them what they think. Or alternatively you could have a look at the marking criteria your self and try to be as objective as possible.
Reply 11
Ok thanks, really appreciate the advice on here.

Just to go off on a slight tangent, KCL's entry requirements are AABb. Does anyone know how strict they are with that little b?
Reply 12
Well, I'm not sure on how strict they are with it, but how about you just apply and see what happens. If the rest of your application is strong, your B in the AS might be overlooked.
Reply 13
WokSz
Well, I'm not sure on how strict they are with it, but how about you just apply and see what happens. If the rest of your application is strong, your B in the AS might be overlooked.

Or lack of it?:wink:

I would just apply and see usually (cus thats the sort of I guy I am:cool: :rolleyes: ) but I really need to know if the cost of the LNAT (it aint cheap!) is justified.
Reply 14
Well, of course it is! It's not that hard either and may actually allow the admissions tutor to really see if you have potential to become a good law student.
Since their offer is AABb as you say, if you have AAA that is considerably superior. So you should be OK.

Latest