The Student Room Group

Is it a choice???

Who believes people or born gay and who believes it's a choice? This is just to see how the public views us...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's not a choice, people don't choose their sexuality...
Born with the potential to be gay, but only will be gay with the right upbringing.

Like being a serial killer. People are born with the potential to kill tonnes of people, but whether or not they do is mainly determined by the upbringing.

I understand that that was a pretty horrendous analogy (in no way do i think that homosexuals are akin to serial killers), but i couldn't think of anything else.
Definitely not a choice. I can't believe it's the 21st century and there are people who believe it is.
It's a choice. If it was genetic, there wouldn't be such thing as one gay twin and one straight. Fact is, it's a choice and also depends on the lifestyle you're exposed to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
People are born homo/hetro/bi/a sexual.

Whether they choose to act on their sexuality is different. There are many people who won't openly come out as gay because of what their family/friends will say to them.
I dobt it's genetic because there's no real evidence of a "gay gene". Nevertheless it doesn't hurt anyone so idc lol.
Original post by Anonymous
I dobt it's genetic because there's no real evidence of a "gay gene". Nevertheless it doesn't hurt anyone so idc lol.

Lol. Summed up nicely. I agree lol. Idc
Original post by Nubian Rapunzel
It's a choice. If it was genetic, there wouldn't be such thing as one gay twin and one straight. Fact is, it's a choice and also depends on the lifestyle you're exposed to

Posted from TSR Mobile

Genetics isn't as simple as: you have this gene; you are this.
Genes can be 'switched on' or 'off' in a human, resulting in them producing or not producing a certain protein or hormone, which could, of course, result in homosexuality. That being said, there's a lot of research going into the topic, and you could be proven right by said research.

An example of where research has begun to disprove your point:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/largest-ever-study-into-the-gay-gene-erodes-the-notion-that-sexual-orientation-is-a-choice-9875855.html
Reply 9
I have nothing more than dislike for those who assert with absolute certainty that it is not a choice, having no understanding of the scientific debate on the matter. The real question is, even if it were a choice, what difference would that actually make?
I don't think people are born gay, because being gay cannot be genetic.
i believe this due to the fact that through billions of years of ancestors, every single person in their family tree has reproduced heterosexually (yes, I know the Greeks were bisexual but they weren't gay). And, yes, I know about recessive genes but they wouldn't have come this far down the family tree. Also, identical twins have the same genetic configuration but they don't always have the same sexuality.
It is for these reasons that I believe it is something after birth, whether it's a conscience decision or subconscious.

Also, I probably have to point out that I'm not homophobic and I don't believe there's anything wrong with homosexuality.
I honestly don't know. I've never bothered to put much research into it nor any proper thought.

Who a guy or girl is attracted to is neither here nor there to me unless I'm attracted to her and actually am interested to the point I'd pursue her but this has never happened so in other words; I couldn't care less.

So sorry to those who care but I don't give a toss so to speak.
Original post by Jasaron
Genetics isn't as simple as: you have this gene; you are this.
Genes can be 'switched on' or 'off' in a human, resulting in them producing or not producing a certain protein or hormone, which could, of course, result in homosexuality. That being said, there's a lot of research going into the topic, and you could be proven right by said research.

An example of where research has begun to disprove your point:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/largest-ever-study-into-the-gay-gene-erodes-the-notion-that-sexual-orientation-is-a-choice-9875855.html

This is exactly the same article I read last year. This is very dangerous territory.

So imagine if being gay wasn't bu choice.....what paedophiles are also born with a sexual preference to children and thus can't help it? So what I guess we should be treating them for an illness and not as criminals? I say it flippantly but this is actively being researched at the moment

I hate the way people try and victimise homosexuals. If I was gay, I'd rather be empowered that I am the way I am out of CHOICE and not some poor victim of genetics
This is exactly the same article I read last year. This is very dangerous territory.

So imagine if being gay wasn't bu choice.....what paedophiles are also born with a sexual preference to children and thus can't help it? So what I guess we should be treating them for an illness and not as criminals? I say it flippantly but this is actively being researched at the moment

I hate the way people try and victimise homosexuals. If I was gay, I'd rather be empowered that I am the way I am out of CHOICE and not some poor victim of genetics

Pedophilia is different, because their sexual preference is towards something that is considered 'out-of-bounds'. This is why they're punished, rather than accepted.
The reason that it's important to understand whether or not being gay is down to genetics is to end the abuse towards them.
Being homophobic and accepted in society would be almost unheard of; people who make fun out things that cannot be changed about a person are not accepted in society.

To me, it's less about understanding homosexuality and more about quashing homophobia.
Original post by Jasaron
Pedophilia is different, because their sexual preference is towards something that is considered 'out-of-bounds'. This is why they're punished, rather than accepted.
The reason that it's important to understand whether or not being gay is down to genetics is to end the abuse towards them.
Being homophobic and accepted in society would be almost unheard of; people who make fun out things that cannot be changed about a person are not accepted in society.

To me, it's less about understanding homosexuality and more about quashing homophobia.

Not so long ago being gay was also out of bounds. Beastiality is also out of bounds in the UK, but not for some other countries in the EU.

Everybody has their own sense of morality. The same "if they love eachother" argument can be applied to so many situations but whether it's right or wrong is not what's being disputed. The point is, I believe it's a choice. Some agree with me and some disagree. But I believe it is a choice

Yes I agree why would anyone want to be a victim of being harassed, bullied, called names, tortured, beaten, neglected, rejected from family, and a lot of other stuff if it were a choice I'm pretty sure it would be straight or the sexuality that all people accept

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NathanAllen
Yes I agree why would anyone want to be a victim of being harassed, bullied, called names, tortured, beaten, neglected, rejected from family, and a lot of other stuff if it were a choice I'm pretty sure it would be straight or the sexuality that all people accept

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what about those Asian girls that date black or white guys and face the same and sometimes WORSE backlash from their families or communities because of those relationships? They chose to. Or the girls that get pregnant when they KNOW they're daddys gonna come for them. It's a choice. End of.
So what about those Asian girls that date black or white guys and face the same and sometimes WORSE backlash from their families or communities because of those relationships? They chose to. Or the girls that get pregnant when they KNOW they're daddys gonna come for them. It's a choice. End of.

I respect your answer... I really do

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've actually done extensive research into taboo sexuality (paedophilia, zoophilia). Sexuality is in no way a choice. Who on earth would choose to be attracted to kids knowing that acting on would ruin the life of the child and most likely their own life as well, lol? I'm thinking that sexuality is determined by things such as the development of the brain in the womb, potentially with some genetic factors which make certain sexual preferences more or less likely. For paedophiles, I believe that it's some kind of defect in the part of the brain which deals with attractiveness, confusing cuteness for sexual appeal. For other paedophiles they might be attracted specifically to the taboo aspect of it, and these are almost certainly the most dangerous. I don't know any paedophiles, though, at least ones who are open about it so I can't really ask any. I'd find it disturbing anyway, I don't envy them that's for sure. I certainly believe they need help, though, because if we just leave them I think their chance of acting on it increases drastically.

But yeah being homosexual is not a choice lol, just ask any homosexual. 'Gay' is a strange word, though, because it implies some kind of choice, but the only choice is being true to themselves; what their 'self' is isn't really up to them though.
Original post by Wahrheit
I've actually done extensive research into taboo sexuality (paedophilia, zoophilia). Sexuality is in no way a choice. Who on earth would choose to be attracted to kids knowing that acting on would ruin the life of the child and most likely their own life as well, lol? I'm thinking that sexuality is determined by things such as the development of the brain in the womb, potentially with some genetic factors which make certain sexual preferences more or less likely. For paedophiles, I believe that it's some kind of defect in the part of the brain which deals with attractiveness, confusing cuteness for sexual appeal. For other paedophiles they might be attracted specifically to the taboo aspect of it, and these are almost certainly the most dangerous. I don't know any paedophiles, though, at least ones who are open about it so I can't really ask any. I'd find it disturbing anyway, I don't envy them that's for sure. I certainly believe they need help, though, because if we just leave them I think their chance of acting on it increases drastically.

But yeah being homosexual is not a choice lol, just ask any homosexual. 'Gay' is a strange word, though, because it implies some kind of choice, but the only choice is being true to themselves; what their 'self' is isn't really up to them though.

So homosexuality is a brain defect? Boy, like I said before, if I was gay, I'd rather be gay by choice than because of some malfunction in the womb

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending