The Student Room Group

claiming tax

hi guys,

For the past year from summer till now, i have been working part time. I have been told that my pay like everyone else, is cut off because of tax. I have also been told that i can claim this tax back. How do i go about doing this?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by rurounikenji
hi guys,

For the past year from summer till now, i have been working part time. I have been told that my pay like everyone else, is cut off because of tax. I have also been told that i can claim this tax back. How do i go about doing this?

Thanks!

You can contact HMRC to ensure your tax code is correct - if you're earning less than 10,000 this year then you shouldn't need to pay tax. Doing this now will prevent you from having to pay any further tax this (financial) year.
If you currently are paying tax, it means that either you earn over the threshold, or they lack information about any earnings you may have had before you started your current job.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Aula
You won't be able to claim back the tax you've already paid until the end of the tax year - so not until 6th April.

You can claim a tax refund if you’ve overpaid in the current tax year or any of the previous 4 tax years.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/too-much-tax-taken-from-your-pay
Reply 3
Original post by Ezisola
You can claim a tax refund if you’ve overpaid in the current tax year or any of the previous 4 tax years.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/too-much-tax-taken-from-your-pay

You're right, my bad.

I got confused between this situation and the situation when you have two jobs :colondollar:
hi guys,

Thanks!

Phone up the tax office, who should be able to change your tax code so you dont get taxed and then next pay day you will getback any money back that you have paidin tax that you shouldnt have.
Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't think i have been overpaid last year/this year but i guess, it's worth a shot calling them up. I just thought tax was taken off every pay and that you could claim the taken money back or something..
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't think i have been overpaid last year/this year but i guess, it's worth a shot calling them up. I just thought tax was taken off every pay and that you could claim the taken money back or something..

If you earn less than 10,000 a year, you don't earn enough to pay tax.

If you earn less than this and have been paying tax, then you can get it back by getting your tax code sorted, so definitely ring them up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending